1963 305 v6 GMC ENGINE in a 72 wagon?

what

THERE IS A GUY IN THE MOBIL HOME PARK THAT MY GRANDMA LIVES IN WITH A 1972 DATSUN WAGON THAT HE PUT A HEAVY 305 V6 motor in out of a 1963 gmc pickup. he had to put a bunch of work into it to make it work like heavy springs and shit. he is 80 years old and he did all of this 30 years ago he said. It hasnt ran in 23 years. He is thinking of selling it to me. It needs a new tranny (powerglide). Body is striat as hell. $450.00. Any advise about this?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 305-cubic-inch (5.0 L) 305 had a 4.25 in (107.9 mm) bore and 3.58 in stroke (90.9 mm). The 305 V6 was the standard pickup truck engine for GMC from 1960 to 1966, and was one of the first V6 engines produced by an American company.

THERE IS A GUY IN THE MOBIL HOME PARK THAT MY GRANDMA LIVES IN WITH A 1972 DATSUN WAGON THAT HE PUT A HEAVY 305 V6 motor in out of a 1963 gmc pickup. he had to put a bunch of work into it to make it work like heavy springs and shit. he is 80 years old and he did all of this 30 years ago he said. It hasnt ran in 23 years. He is thinking of selling it to me. It needs a new tranny (powerglide). Body is striat as hell. $450.00. Any advise about this?

There were no 305 motors in '63. 283 or 327s about it. A pre '68 327 block and 283 crank made a 302. After '68 a 283 bore with 327 crank made a 307. The much much later 265 bore with 350 crank made the 305.

This motor was very likely transplanted into the '63. First find out for sure if it's the newer 305 or an older 283/327. The spin on oil filters we use today were introduced in '68, so if this block has the old style bolt on canister with open filter inside is must be older than that. I had an old 283 in my '57 and said 185 horse on the valve cover. That's engine hp not like they do now.

Edited by datzenmike

Chevy didn't build a V6 until the late '70s When it bought back the rights to the Buick odd fire V6 from Jeep, which was developed in the '60s. It's descended from the 215 aluminum V8 with 2 cylinders removed, cast iron of course. It displaces 198/225 and eventually 231cu in not 305.

Edited by datzenmike

uuummmm.....it's a V6 Mike :)

I had one in a GMC pickup.....holy crap was that thing big!!!! Had so much torque it wasn't funny!!! Wouldn't rev very well, but I could side slip my foot off the clutch at idle and not stall it!! If it's the same one.....it was really tall...how the heck did he get it in there?

All I can say is WHY? What a really, really strange combination. :confused:

I would love to hear the story behind that.

The only thing that engine has going for it is about 8 gazillion ft lbs of torque at about 900 RPM. I just checked that link above, and idle is set at 450 RPM! I suppose, coupled with a 2.73 or 2.56 rear end, you'd end up getting about 75 mpg...Of course a 'glide and a 900 lb engine might offset that a bit, like by 70 mpg or so...

hmmmmmm....

I am very curious to see photos. Please share the story if he tells you WHY he built it in the first place?!

That was a GMC only powerplant. Chevys used an inline 6. Look like a 6 cyl version of a 409. When I worked for my uncle in Pendleton I worked on a couple. They are a truck engine--all torque--no HP. They have no performance value. Buy the wagon, sell the engine to Bonvo and power it with whatever you want. Hopefully it won't take to much to undo the "customization". If you check out the link posted by 84TAV at the bottom is another link about a v12 version. I saw one of the at the Portland swap meet a couple years back. HUGE!

Edited by DRIVEN
info
  • 10 months later...

i've seen a few of these motors, theyre mainly in old gmc 3 tons and shit..

theyre not good for a car because theyre not really a revvy motor, but MEGA torque.

should be really easy to drop a small block chevy or a 4.3 in it.. as for the powerglide, you can get turbo 350 automatics for nothing. check it out.