1963 305 v6 GMC ENGINE in a 72 wagon?

what

I used to drive an old GMC single axle truck tractor with one of those V-6's in it coupled to a 5speed and a 2 speed rear axle. 2200 rpms and grab another hole. The thing absolutely loved gas! I'd like to see what's holding up the front end of that Datsun with that big 'ol bitch in there! :blink:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad bought a new 1967 GMC 1/2 ton pickup with one of those in it It was a great work horse and on a good day 9 miles to a gallon of gas. I f you buy the car pull the motor and trans out sell motor for scrap keep the power glide (great trans). Put something appropriate back in the car.

I just rebuilt one for a guy in an old 63 GMC. The bore spacing is HUGE! You could probably find a train and use it's pistons for first over if you needed to! :lol: but at any rate, I'm quite sure these ol' gals could pull the earth off its axis if you found a place to hitch it to. If for some reason you keep the motor, and you wanna cruise the highway, see what the tallest possible gearing is for an axle you could stuff under the back. You could probably idle down the highway at 100mph and it would be fine with it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kamakazi620

Those 305 v6's are BAD ASS there was some performance parts for'em back in the day,the main thing that holds 'um back is the intake,305ci breathing threw a 0ne barrel straw......Yeah not gonna rev at all,I like that motor,but i'd pull it from the 510,maybe do a vg30 swap they gots 185 foot pounds of torqe stock (vg30)

That block was punched out several times and maxed out at 478 cu in. and 440 ft lbs torque @ 1,400 RPMs. The bore was 130+mm in comparison the L20B is only 85mm.

Also found this info about the weight. There were sever variations but what a monster weight!

305A = 738 lbs.

305B = 771 lbs.

305C = 840 lbs.

305E = 795 lbs.

750 lbs is almost exactly 3 L16s forget that!

• 1 month later...

My best friend in high school's '62 pawn ticket (Pontiac) PowerGlide:

WAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAA AAa, , Wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

More learning....The early Pontiac 2-speeds were not Powerglides, they are a Turbine 300 2-Speed, similar to a Powerglide but not exactly the same. POB bell housing, V.P.(variable pitch) converter, govenor cover on the side rear, different designed low gear band cover, modgulator similar to a turbo 350.