Datsun security ideas

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my car I have a kill switch. I saw someone try to steal it and I just called the police. I aproached the guy who then ran off. Luckily the police got there just as soon as he started running. He was arrested and thats that.

I have two kill switches in the racecar. One functions as the ignition on and start feature, the other is wired into the same circuit but in a hidden location. If they want it bad enough, they're going to steal it, but it will confound those stupid thieves looking for quick and easy.

And yeah, Datsun keys are notoriously horrible for interchanging into not only Datsuns, but a wide variety of early Hondas too. :) I used to undo my buddy's 86 Civic door lock with my 510 key, and my current race car door key works in the ignition of the 720 even though they're 10 years apart. :)

For my kill switches I usually just use a 50 amp toggle switch and wire it somewhere odd.

What about wiring the cigarette lighter to the start segment of the ignition switch...so that the cig lighter would need to be pushed in order for the starter to be able to activate by the key. The power for the starter would not need to be routed throught the cig lighter...just the trigger wire.

Just a thought. A weee bit "out of the box" I know, but I have been seriously contemplating my own options as I live in a big az city with loads and loads of idiots all just hoping to get themselves somethin for nothin.:blink:

Since I am fully up-to-date on all the property/person protection laws...I can't just put a hole in em...so I have to do somethin else.:D

Not really..I'm a nice guy...or am I?;)

What about wiring the cigarette lighter to the start segment of the ignition switch...so that the cig lighter would need to be pushed in order for the starter to be able to activate by the key. The power for the starter would not need to be routed throught the cig lighter...just the trigger wire.

Datsun security ideas

The trouble is that if you come up with a good one you shouldn't announce it on the interweb. :lol:

Aside from a cheap alarm, which is only good for you to know that somebody is making it go off, I like the kill switch ideas.

If you've got a fi car, get a kill switch for the fuel pump.

A killswitch for the ignition.

Kill switch for the battery if you're up to it.

What I'd like to do tho is get a little momentary push button and wire that up to a relay which energizes the starter. Without having the button pushed in, you can't start the car, but once it's running you can let go of the button.

All of these, of course, would be in out of the way areas/cleverly hidden

An alarm is great in addition to the kill switch. A theif looking at Datsuns will want a quick steal. If the alarm goes off they may disable it first or choose to try to start the car and drive off with the alarm going. After they are unable to start the car in the first few seconds they will likely bail.

I really don't think listing the ideas makes a dif. I don't know many mind readers the rob cars. How would they ever know which of the many options are in use? It's cool to joke about guns and what not too but really if you look forward to, or consider taking a life because that life was taking your car your priorities are ass backwards. It's in no way practical and it will leave you in more trouble then the thief if he lives. Use your head not your finger lol, thats coming from a fellow gun owner.

There are a bunch of ideas I have thought off over the years. From the outside in some are....

Piece of cake Datsun door locks:

A 2nd door lock, dead bolt style. Driven by an actuator and key chain remote not a physical key. Leave the hatch or back doors stock and/or build in a safety just in case. People with shaved door handles have been using this method for many years, it's tried and true. I bet good money people depend on Datsuns being easy to get into and when that door doesn't open they are going to cut their looses and leave. Ya they can bust out your window but thats not exactly low key.

Easy ignitions:

Hard wire the ignition and run the wires through flexible metal conduit. Build a basic sheet metal cover for the back of the ignition. Most 1999- cars can be jumped from the back of the ignition with a splice wire and alligator clips. Again ya the person can cut or mangle the hell out of and still do it but thats a big risk to be taking esp after having to climb in through a broken window lol. I used this method on my TT z32 after the n/a was stolen and would you believe one day I come to find the window broke and the plastic ignition cover torn right off, but you know what? I drove the car home.

Kill switches:

The lighter is a good idea, I have seen people use it before. Another method even some dealers used is the lights have to be on. Just run the low volt on the solenoid anyway you like so long as it needs to be bridged to start. You could easily add a 2nd layer with either the dizzy as mentioned or fuel pump, again a hidden bridge, switch or w/e. The odds of someone thinking to check for 2 after climbing in through the window and mangling the ignition to find the car still wont do shit I have to imagine are tiny.

Physical drive line and control locks:

The boot works lovely, many honda fanboys in my area use them because its the most popular make stolen. I really feel its too annoying for practical daily use. You really going to be taking it of and putting it on as you run errands? The one time you don't is the one time some prick we be gone with your ride too. For say over night parking or all day parking at your job though Its not only effective at stopping them but it a visual deterrent as well. Petal locks and the club work well. Just the stock locks and ignition but with the petals and wheel locked mean he has to spend buku time in your car hacking away, most people aren't going to bother, esp for a run of the mill datsun.

Tracking:

People don't just jump cars and drive them away sometimes the tow them. All the tricks and locks in the world wont prevent it either. Beyond that as said if someone REALLY wants your car there isn't shit that can be done all you can do it make it as hard as possible and play the percentages. GPS shouldn't be over looked for these reasons. There is a huge peace of mind to be had knowing your car can be located anywhere in the world day or night. You don't need some fancy system or to pay a service fee, any person with some basic know how and reading skills can do this for free. Cars gone? Give the cops the address, the end. Then sue the prick they arrest for damages.

So thats a few off the top of my head. I think in the end a combo of ideas and a GPS back up is as close to 100% as one can get.

Edited by 72240z

Quick release steering wheels. Most QR companies offer a lock system as well, get it. Kill switches. Wire them into the alarm. Alarm is set, you can't start the car until it's not set. Hidden "master cutoff switches" in odd places.. under the dash, under seats, above the dome light, whatever. Most cutoff switches are offered with a removable "key" as well, get it. Alarm with 2-way paging (even cheap brands will use FM and get decent range), with built in tilt sensor, door pins, ignition sensor. Turn the wheel toward the curb and use the factory steering wheel lock, it'd be harder to tow if it turns when it moves. New key cylinders and keys (solex?).

Just a few ideas

up close:

spas_12_sa.jpg

if that doesnt work:

3D50.jpg

AHAHAHA i like that idea.... personally i wouldn't even use the clean sweep. i would go with the AA12. check it out on youtube.

On more of a serious note you can wire the starter into you dome light switch. In order for the car to start you need to flick the switch, or even the 12 volt into the dome light switch that way even if they try to hot wire it they cant. i mean the switch it self might not be able to handle the current but its just a thought.

No matter what you do a theft can steal your car. even new cars with the transponders and chips in the keys can be stolen. All you can do is make it as big of a pain in the ass to steal as possible.

Edited by suprafast98

I think that we should all just let the cops do their job. Why even worry about it...they clearly have the situation under control.:blink:

bison.jpg

Yeah right!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

big-mouth.jpg

HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAHAHA!

Edited by denveratsun
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure exactly.. I've been looking into kill switches myself. My bro said something along the line that you can wire a kill switch to your battery but can also wire it directly to your main fuse box... don't remember if there was an advantage or not.

Also I knew some Z32 guys who installed kill switches on their fuel pumps and it was a pretty simple and cheap DIY if you have the knowledge....

I think opening the F'n hood to swap or remove an spark plug wire is stupid. WHY DO IT!!!! Your just drawing attention to your car.

Hmmm... It seems like that man removed just one spark plug wire so no one can steal it. It must be valuable or have some thing I can sell. Let me open the hood and use wire #2 to power the coil. I can still drive it anyways....:rolleyes: