Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually a part for an oil rig. I think it clamshell's around the pipe and aligns it, or something like that..... :)

Who cares it's badass. :lol:

My guys ask me all the time. What is this part for? I tell em I don't care as long as I get payed to do it, :D

That's pretty cool. If what aaron says is true some of my parts might end up going thru some of your parts. I make alot of adapters & couplings for the oil industry.

Cool beans :lol:

That's pretty cool. If what aaron says is true some of my parts might end up going thru some of your parts. I make alot of adapters & couplings for the oil industry.

Cool beans :lol:

I wouldn't doubt it! Only manifolds I've made were for last years winning BMW/Oracle - Americas Cup boat. 4 manifolds was $25K! blink.gif

Had to knock 2deg angles in 2 areas. Time for some fixturing, ghetto style :)

One more Op to go!

2011-02-23113432.jpg

2011-02-23113439.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought about putting this info in a couple of different places.....once this project is finished(like I ever finish any of them :( ) ...I'll be posting the spacers in the for sale section :)

Too tired to go through this very thoroughly....sorry. Basically, I got this idea from Wayno to dimple an existing washer. I made a spacer in a different style a few years ago, but I didn't like the way they registered to the outside of the spindle boss. These spacers will do the same thing....allow 620 drum bearings(readily available) to be used in place of the non-existant 521 inner bearing. Anyway.....it still needs a few tweaks, but you'll get the idea. :)

The caliper pics....one spindle is the 620 with the taller boss, the other is the 521 with the spacer...both with the 620 drum bearing.

100_0248.jpg

100_0250.jpg

100_0252.jpg

100_0247.jpg

100_0254.jpg

100_0255.jpg

100_0257.jpg

100_0258.jpg

100_0260.jpg

100_0263.jpg

100_0265.jpg

100_0267.jpg

100_0269.jpg

100_0270.jpg

100_0274.jpg

100_0280.jpg

100_0281.jpg

100_0288.jpg

100_0289.jpg

100_0290.jpg

th_100_0293.jpg

th_100_0294.jpg

th_100_0296.jpg

Edit....I did find a better version of these washers at Tacoma Screw...they don't crack!!! :)

you know guys, john and mike have a point, there is not a lot of machinist that can run manual machines or single point a thread.

In the late seventies cnc started to bloom i was in my first cnc shop after 5 years running manuals

now warehouses took over starting salary for machinist trainee is 10.00 hr after 5 years if they are good may be 12.00 or 12.50 the warehouse starting salary is 9.00 after 5 years some are making over 18.00 hr so there is no justice

we lost in the inland empire first kaiser steel, then Santa Fe railroad then they closed March and Norton air force bases.

as machinist you invest on tools and a lot of time learning.

my son went to MTNA TRAINING SCHOOL FOR MACHINIST to learn the basics, after 5 years as cnc machinist and making 13.25 hr.

he move to electrician now he makes prevailing wages working on solar systems, in California is 38.0 to 42.0 per hr. i do not make that king of money after 35 years as machinist on tool and die, mold making and cnc programing.

now i enjoy making parts for DATSUN'S AND HOT RODS.

i will love to teach the new generations. but the pay is not there and industry is out of the country, so like 20 years ago some one wrote in the sun telegram news paper.

"THE FUTURE OF THE INLAND EMPIRE IS WAREHOUSES JOBS" AND THATS ALL WE HAVE NOW.

so if we can enjoy getting together with the local guys and show off our cars we will always have fun, until the next one.

I hope not. :lol: Just gonna use it to remove mat'l real fast. Should be here in late March or early April. I'll get pic's as soon as it comes off the truck.

I actully made a mistake it's 3,980 pounds of Z axis thrust. (Floor space 142"X71" Net Weight 12,600 lbs.)

It's a nice size machine.

john i will love to see it and run it to make some real cool parts see you at portillos for a cold one next time.

I keep thinking about taking some vacation time to come down and help out in john's shop for a few days. I'm qualified to push a broom......so I'm not completely useless!! :)

krecs.....along the lines of what you're talking about.....the master machinists that can run the manual stuff are all getting to retirement age...when the baby boomers really start to retire, there will be some huge holes in the available experience available in most career fields!! :) ...hhmm....maybe I can get sucked out of mine and into something I enjoy!! :)

I keep thinking about taking some vacation time to come down and help out in john's shop for a few days. I'm qualified to push a broom......so I'm not completely useless!! :)

krecs.....along the lines of what you're talking about.....the master machinists that can run the manual stuff are all getting to retirement age...when the baby boomers really start to retire, there will be some huge holes in the available experience available in most career fields!! :) ...hhmm....maybe I can get sucked out of mine and into something I enjoy!! :)

Yeah it's sad. Most young people want to work for the DMV or a bank or Government agency. They don't want to get to dirty. Or work hard to make a living. There are more people working for the Goverment in the U.S. than all orher fields of work. IE. Manfacturing, Farming,You get the idea. That's why this Country is so fucked up.

Somebody has to make something for us to survive. I've been doing this for over 35 years. Shit back in the late 70's early 80's guys were getting some good money for cranking handles. Now if you hire a guy they don't even know what a manual mill or engine lathe is let alone know how to operate it. And they call them selfs "MACHINISTS" :lol:

Don't even get me started on this shit. I can rant for days.

dang....what the heck happened!! Sure had a bad glitch with Ratsun just now!

Fixed that for ya ;)

I hear ya John

I was told today that one of our fabrication suppliers didn't like welding up a bunch brackets I designed? WTF? That's the job you signed on for...I mean it's what you do?

2eDeYe' date='05 April 2011 - 10:28 AM' timestamp='1302024539' post='455069']

Fixed that for ya ;)

I hear ya John

I was told today that one of our fabrication suppliers didn't like welding up a bunch brackets I designed? WTF? That's the job you signed on for...I mean it's what you do?

I'm guessing they under bid the job and are whining about it now :) Geez....maybe I should get my welding cert :)

Here is the latest out of the Fast Guido Motorsport's workshop from the past week, bump stop spacers for the S12 200sx VG strut, that adapt to the stock 510 steering arm. 54mm on the top side for the larger bottom hole on the 200sx strut, 40mm hole on the bottom for the 510 steering arm. With a spacer height of 1.25". A nice big chunk of aluminum, just a little bit of de burring to do and then their done.

Monte

DSC00006-3.jpg