Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let it slide this time! :)

Hey...in this economy...I'd sell Yugo parts as long as they were selling!!

I was thinking the other day that I should start spending some of my vacation time down there working with you now that I have a car that will easily make it back and forth. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The first few aren't really machine work, but if you're fabricating, you may use a bandsaw. I made this quick, simple mod because the depth stop on the 7x12" saw didn't work for what I was cutting. Plus, trying to adjust the clunky stop that came with the saw is a pain. The first two pics are the idea I started with......then, it made a natural progression to a longer bolt and a wing nut.....super easy to tweak the adjustment on now!!! I was cutting 44 pieces of 1.25" bar for the spacers in the brake kits.

100_4898.jpg

100_4899.jpg

100_4905.jpg

I thought John might like these two. I needed something more accurate than the chunk of bar stock I was using....but it was a pain to try to hold two parallels and the part while clamping down the chuck. The first time I used bolts that were too long and they were then captured in the chuck. I can't spin the lathe with the parallels in there....so I put on a really short screw. I can now pull the parallels out after I tighten the chuck. :)

100_4906.jpg

100_4907.jpg

Spun the race on a front wheel bearing, was having a hard time find any 620s in the junkyard, so we hogged out the hub and pressed in a sleeve than turned the sleeve back to the correct specs.

05-16-10181.jpg

05-16-10190.jpg

Wasn't having much luck finding shackle bushings for the leaf springs, but had happen to come by a set, from a Nova, that were polygraphite, and oversized from what I needed. So we turned those down to specs.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

I just rebuilt my motor, but didn't get many pics to the machine work. Here are a few.

Indicating the head in.

IMG_0064-1.jpg

Wrist pin install. This job is made easier if you can make a guide on the lathe, you can see the guide is already in position where the pin wants to be.

IMG_0099.jpg

The hone set-up.

IMG_0007.jpg

Ben

Dat....removable jaws would be awesome....maybe one of these days I'll buy a new chuck for it :)

Kneesamo.....I did the same sleeve thing in a 411 thread somewhere on here.... :) Turned down some urethane bushings for a similar reason...... Gotta love having the tools!!! :)

do I win a free one if I can guess where there going :lol:

Do you still have your Z Skip? I kinda think your cheating just a little. But go ahead and take a guess. :lol:

Do you still have your Z Skip? I kinda think your cheating just a little. But go ahead and take a guess. :lol:

nope :(

but I have the sickness :P and will be getting another one when things level out :cool:

lolz im just well informed :lol: they going to MSA?

nope :(

but I have the sickness :P and will be getting another one when things level out :cool:

lolz im just well informed :lol: they going to MSA?

You win :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me know when ya get another Z and I'll send ya one.

Quick little project for use at work. I just made one for myself a few days ago...mill was still setup, so I figured I'd make another. I don't think I've ever seen one of these available commercially, or if I have, they were way too much money. The very first one I made was many years ago....basically, I put a bolt in the back of the tap holder and then ground three flats onto it so it wouldn't slip in the drill chuck. These were a bit nicer. :)

100_4909.jpg

100_4910.jpg

100_4911.jpg

100_4912.jpg

100_4913.jpg

100_4914.jpg

100_4915.jpg

100_4916.jpg

100_4917.jpg

100_4918.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just signed a contract today for a new turning center. Doosan 300C. 15" Chuck 30 HP motor 4" spindle bore.

800 Ft lbs on Z thrust.

$125K :o I sure hope the work keeps comming.

I just signed a contract today for a new turning center. Doosan 300C. 15" Chuck 30 HP motor 4" spindle bore.

800 Ft lbs on Z thrust.

$125K :o I sure hope the work keeps comming.

Dang....that's more exciting than the pin-up thread!!!

800ftlbs??? Are you going to use it as a bending brake?! :)

Dang....that's more exciting than the pin-up thread!!!

800ftlbs??? Are you going to use it as a bending brake?! :)

I hope not. :lol: Just gonna use it to remove mat'l real fast. Should be here in late March or early April. I'll get pic's as soon as it comes off the truck.

I actully made a mistake it's 3,980 pounds of Z axis thrust. (Floor space 142"X71" Net Weight 12,600 lbs.)

It's a nice size machine.