• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2eDeYe' timestamp='1340979198' post='710212']

They build stuff like this and this is just for a wing. :lol:

Photo01281.jpg

check out the website, go to the product page. From there just click on one of the pics, it will give info and there are photo and video galleries...... I think the coolest is the fiber placement machines....

http://www.electroimpact.com/index.asp

• 1 month later...

I think I'm going to put up the links to the youtube vids, but with the pics, I'll just put up a link to the PB folder.....otherwise, it's going to make a really long page for nothing. It was a day of spinning my wheels...so it seemed.....but for guys that like the nitty gritty of how some of this is done, I'll put it up. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oldsQpp0CNw

photobucket folder:

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/mklotz70/Projects/Machine%20Work/Lathe%20Milling%20Attachment/

Finally finished it today. Came out great, but dang did it take a ton more time than I wanted it to. It should make all the notching a lot easier. I'm tempted to make the mount for it too so I can set the angles a lot more easily. hhhmmm......

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reloading it now and I've changed the link in the above post. Should work in the next 20 min when it's done uploading. Still have 3 other vids to load.....that's probably going to take a good hour and a half :(

I was hoping to post the last vid of the adapter, but it's taking forever to save. Probably go a lot faster if I didn't do it in HD. Oh well. I'll post the last one in the morning. I did notch a tube today, just to see how the attachment worked.....it was sweet!

Ok guys been looking through this thread and drooling for awhile now. I have been wanting to get into doing some machine work for a few years and I have had so many ideas for parts and such but nothing to build them on. Normally if I need to make something out of metal I spend hours with hand tools fabbing up whatever it is the best I can. Thsi has its limitations of course.

My dad was doing some electrical work for a machinist here in town. The guy does super precision work. Anyways he was wanting to get rid of his older equipment and clear out soem space in his shop. He has a lathe mill combo he wants to sell and I wanted to get your opinion on it. The machine is a EMCO MaxiMat V-10. It is complete and in working order. My dad says it looks very new for its age and hasn't been used much. The bed seems small @ 5"x25" but I think that is plenty big enough for 99% of the work I would ever do. It does have a power feed so thats a plus!!! The only downside I foresee is that replacement motors are not readily available for them should this one ever go bad. The guy is asking $500-600 and its just the machine itself, no end mill bits and no extra chucks. I think it has a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw.

Would this be a good beginners machine? Have any of you ever used one? I have some lathe experience, and a little mill experience,I love to read and I am very eager to learn.

The machine looks something like this http://i55.tinypic.com/2i7n14w.jpg

The perfect machine is the one that will do what you want and is at a price you can afford. Past that, as long as it's in good working order, you should be fine. I recently met a guy with a Smithy unit with similar features. He's building a cnc router with his. You can machine stuff bigger than the envelope of the machine if you get a bit creative. Most machinist wouldn't touch the round column HF mill I have, but it does what I want and it was way less than a full size knee mill.....which I don't really have space for anyway.

Does the mill use an R-8 collet setup? Most full size knee mills use those collets......so down the road, most of the tooling you've collected will transfer to a bigger machine if you get one.

Plan on spending as much on tooling as you do on the machine...probably twice as much since you're getting two machines in one.

I would highly recommend some kind of DRO(digital readout) for it. I would not go with glass scales.....way too much money. But, they've got some nice stuff out there. I haven't researched any of it in a few years, so start googling.

Off the top of my head......

www.use-enco.com

www.cdco.com

www.lathemaster.com

.....if they don't pop up, google them....I may not have them quite right.

Have fun!!!

That emco maier (not Enco) is a high quality machine but is a older model, it is of much higher quality then the asian stuff. It is made in Austria. The mill head is all gears,no belts. The spindle is mt-2 , not r-8. One warning, parts are expensive which is common for any euro machine. I have two emco maier machines that i bought new in the 80's and have never needed any parts. You should decide on the size of the parts that you need to machine to determine if this machine is big enough for what you need. $500-600 is a steal, a good machine to learn on and the resale value is high.

• 1 month later...

Been reworking some cheap, crappy cnc work done by a local shop. I knew the price was too good to be true......you get what you pay for. :( Anyway....thought I'd share some vid on reworking the roadster bearing adapters and machining the brake rotors.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Been reworking some cheap, crappy cnc work done by a local shop. I knew the price was too good to be true......you get what you pay for. :( Anyway....thought I'd share some vid on reworking the roadster bearing adapters and machining the brake rotors.

Mike

I hope they are not the ones I made for ya. :w00t:

Of course not!!!  If you were local, I'd be at your place a couple of times a week!!!! :)  

Your stuff was perfect! 

The local company........ I gave specs to 3 digits with a plus/minus of .010 for the OD and .001 ID. They assumed that making them from pipe that was okay.  They didn't even ask.  I assumed they'd cut them because of the spec but they didn't even cut the OD.......just left it as pipe! :(  I couldn't even use half of them after spending several hours trying to rework them.

I've since had them remade.  I found a different, smaller local company with a couple of great guys.  I can work personally with the machinist to figure out fit and finish.  That should save the "miscommunications" errors that happened with the other one.