Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Production has begun.  This is the first side of the bracket spacer.  There's 80+ of these to make.  I've been extremely pleased with the lathe's performance on these.  I've done this op about 40 times already and with one DRO tweak, they're all within a thou of each other. 

20121017_184505.jpg

I never get to make cool shit like this. I just don't have the equipment for it. But dang that's a cool looking part.

That part almost gave me a heart attack. It was an unrealistic deadline and a very complex part. I scrapped it 3 times and they still bought it... Made 12 of them. 20hr cycle time. Its the end piece for an airline seat assembly. Its the end facing the isle.

Josh-

• Like 1

We do all the 787 Dreamliner  door hinges on one of our Horizontal Machining Center and the Latches on our Vari-Axis 500-II 5 Axis. We'll hopefully be picking up a new Haas CNC Router and a 2004 Matsuura 5 Axis next week.

Anyone need a job in Bellingham we need to hire 9 people asap....

-Josh

20140313_080943_zps3ba820ff.jpg

Here we are milling the slot and the nose in this part.

20140313_080456_zps5d7c0391.jpg

This is what it looks like before the mill work.

20140313_080535_zps84357b9a.jpg

After the mill

20140313_080511_zpsc4488f84.jpg

We metal spray carbide in the ID of this part, Then grind the carbide to size. It's a really high wear part.

The parts this thing is sitting on are sleeves for a coil over set up for Z cars.

• Like 2

yeah, and I'm the only guy in the shop that gets to work on it, at least on the finish work. oh and the finish call outs are √125 down to √63. and the newest machine we use for the part was built in 81, and converted from a tape CNC to a Siemens controller, from the mid 90's......god I hate this part.....

• Like 2

Q-tip you are working with a boat anchor to make parts.

TP of .015" is not bad. Very difficult with a sloppy machine though. All rapid and approach moves better come from the same axial moves ha ha ha ha.

I machine hydrolic piston heads that have some retarded TP and Concentricity call outs. All need a finish of 32 or less. Have to diamond burnish most of this stuff. Makes for lots of ass time though

I wish I could post a picture of the part and the machines I have to do it on. it would be "really that's it that's not bad, oh man that's a piece of shit, wow that one is bad too....they make parts with that thing!!!". I have to do a +.002-.001 set of blind line bores on a manual machine that says it was made in Czechoslovakia, and its the newest manual machine we have....

that to of .015 is on all six sides in 5 different setups on 3 different machines