Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well shit!!!! Guess I won't be making anymore money off you. You went all big time on me. Freakin sucks when guys like you try to put me out of business.

:rofl:

I wouldn't hold my breath just yet. LOL  I've had it for over a year and this is most I've done with it yet.  I'm not even sure at this point if it will hold the tolerances needed......or the repeatability.  But, I got a great deal on it, so it it turns out I can make my own adapters, it will just about pay for itself on the first batch.....by the end of the second batch for sure!  I'm hoping that it will allow me to run smaller batches of different items and do some other prototyping.  We'll see.....I've still got a ton to learn before I get too excited about doing my own parts :)

• Like 1

Just giving you crap. That's great that you can do your own parts. That way you don't have to wait on some other shop to get you what you want.

You have to start somewhere. To do what you do in your garage is freaking awesom. Hat's off to you.

I know you were!  I seriously laughed out loud when I read your post!!  :)

It decided to act up again.  The Z axis only wants to move in the neg(left) direction......jog or g-code....same thing.  I can swap the cables to the x-axis and the prob moves, so it's in the software or controller......most likely the controller since it's a Hobbycnc unit and would have been assembled by the first owner......they come in a kit.  I'll look at it again in a few days....probably next week.

And thanks!  My stuff comes out way better when I have the parts professionally made by guys like you!  I doubt you actually made much money off me......you have overhead.....I don't :)

Thats freakin sweet!

I am going to take the plunge eventually but I want something a bit bigger, I am familiar with G code. I used to be able to program the CAM programs too, but I would need a bit of brush up on them.

my other debate: is it better to buy a mill or lathe first?

I definitely want something bigger, but this should be able to make what I need it to if it can do it repeatably.

I swore for a couple of years that I didn't need a lathe....that a mill was first on the list......then it dawned on my one day that 90% of my projects needed lathe work......so I got the lathe first.  These days, if you're getting a decent hobby mill....Tormach or similar, you can do small lathe work on them.  A Tormach would easily do my bearing adapters, but I bought my wife a new car......so the mill is on hold for a bit. :)

• 3 weeks later...

awards004_zps7869269f.jpg

Here is a pic of some awards I'm making for a big car show this weekend. It's a licence plate. I thought it would be a cool award, If you win you can bolt it to your car for the next show you go to. I made 70 total.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Nothing exciting parts-wise, but I was pretty excited about the metal removal rate I was getting from my little 9x20 cnc lathe!!

That's pretty cool Mike. Nice job...