Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the cool guys only put up a couple of pics....I come on a put up a bunch of lame ones!! smile.gif LOL

I'm helping nis720 with a project...I'm pretty sure I've put up pics of this sort before. I'm not done with the lathe work on them....hopefully, tomorrow. I'm doing this set cheap....what would you real machinists out there charge? I'm thinking I'd have to charge close to $150 to make it worth it....but I have no life or overhead smile.gif

100_0454.jpg

100_0455.jpg

100_0456.jpg

100_0457.jpg

100_0458.jpg

100_0459.jpg

100_0460.jpg

th_100_0461.jpg

100_0462.jpg

100_0463.jpg

100_0464.jpg

100_0465.jpg

Toy 5 lug hubs on a 720 spindle? I'm pretty sure that's what's up. I sure hope this wasn't a secret!! :)

I'de charge that rat $250.00 He has buckets o money. :lol:

Mike,

Do you clean the lathe real well after you cut cast iron? That stuff is very abrasive on the ways, I usually cover mine when cutting cast iron. Then a full clean up because of the dust that it generates, stuff gets every where.

Monte

Yes cast iron will destroy a machine if ya don't clean it. And it will create rust all by its self. :(

What is his end goal?

The end goal is this.

IMG_2240a.jpg

188321_10150106522092776_652797775_6553518_2960637_n.jpg

Toy 5 lug hubs on a 720 spindle? I'm pretty sure that's what's up. I sure hope this wasn't a secret!! :)

It's no secret.... more like an experiment... thanks for all your help Mike.

Ohhh and the quick turnaround

I'm still new to this machining stuff....thanks for the heads up on the cast iron!! I'll make sure I clean it up well and maybe even cover the ways for the rest of it. This lathe already has enough wear on it!!

Quick turnaround? LOL! I got them started pretty quickly.....the question is how soon do I finish them!! LOL

I'm still new to this machining stuff....thanks for the heads up on the cast iron!! I'll make sure I clean it up well and maybe even cover the ways for the rest of it. This lathe already has enough wear on it!!

Quick turnaround? LOL! I got them started pretty quickly.....the question is how soon do I finish them!! LOL

Well at least you started them. They sat at my shop for months and never got started.

The first set you got done pretty quick, this second set has alot more work and it seems you're making good progress.

Well at least you started them. They sat at my shop for months and never got started.

Ironically these are the same ones that sat at your shop. :P But I totally understand not having time to start them, I've been too busy to work on my own stuff. Took me a few weeks just to get them ready for Mike.

Okay...finally got them done sunday :) They're boxed up and heading out this morning, so these should be the last pics/vids of the mods to these hubs. I though John might like how I held the indicator in the vid :) The last few pics are of a couple of 1/16" spacers that I also made for nis720 so that he can put them behind another set of hubs to correct some spindle machining. I made them the same OD, but in hindsight, I probably should have made them a slip fit. I'm not sure what kind of steel I was using, but dang was it a PITA to cut!!! Oh well, it was the only chunk I had that would work....and it was the piece that had been welded to the C channel in the Diff Narrowing thread. :) Anyway.....

100_0469.jpg

th_100_0470.jpg

100_0471.jpg

100_0472.jpg

100_0473.jpg

100_0474.jpg

100_0475.jpg

100_0477.jpg

100_0479.jpg

100_0480.jpg

so i heard u old school guys bitching about young guys only doing cnc stuff. ive only ever known how to turn handles and im only 24. the only cnc stuff ive done was on a plasma table. im not the best at machine work but i like to do things the old way. i use hand shears, manual shrinker/stretchers, english wheels, planishing hammers, sand bags and hammers, and a hammer and dolly. i like to do things the old school way cause its a dying art/trade and some ppl want stuff done that way.

i had a question on the lathe work u guys are doing tho. are any or all of u using any sort of cutting fluid or lubrication when doing ur machine work to get such a smooth surface. whether applied by hand or by the pump in the bed? just wondering casue all the lathes ive worked on have never used the pump on them or even had them(iirc) i have one lathe at work that is pretty nice and 2 others in storage at home that are mien, one smaller and one large(!) one. just wondering so if i ever get around to setting mine up anywhere i cood do so with a lubrication system if it really pays off in the outcome of the part after.

thanks in advance, erich

so i heard u old school guys bitching about young guys only doing cnc stuff. ive only ever known how to turn handles and im only 24. the only cnc stuff ive done was on a plasma table. im not the best at machine work but i like to do things the old way. i use hand shears, manual shrinker/stretchers, english wheels, planishing hammers, sand bags and hammers, and a hammer and dolly. i like to do things the old school way cause its a dying art/trade and some ppl want stuff done that way.

i had a question on the lathe work u guys are doing tho. are any or all of u using any sort of cutting fluid or lubrication when doing ur machine work to get such a smooth surface. whether applied by hand or by the pump in the bed? just wondering casue all the lathes ive worked on have never used the pump on them or even had them(iirc) i have one lathe at work that is pretty nice and 2 others in storage at home that are mien, one smaller and one large(!) one. just wondering so if i ever get around to setting mine up anywhere i cood do so with a lubrication system if it really pays off in the outcome of the part after.

thanks in advance, erich

It's always better to use coolant if you can. Sometimes it gets a little messy with a manual machine. Then when doing cnc stuff on the mill the new cutters they have now you can use them dry and they cut better.

• 2 weeks later...

Next week I'll get some action shots for Mike. :o

Awesome!! You know what I like!! :)

I was just watching some vids on the edgefactor.com site....first time I had seen Doosan....now you have one. I want to come play......and by that I mean just watch since I don't have a clue how to use one!! :( :) hhhhmmm.....wonder if I could get a long weekend to come check it out :)

i held on to it like the 3rd to last pic. I put a "jack"(a bolt and a nut) under the ear that sticks out to the left to support it while machining the backside. There was not alot to hang onto but I was still able to take .100 depth of cuts to remove the excess.