Let's see some machine work

Holy friggin' cow!!!!! Seriously...I'm sportin' wood!!! That beats anything on the post-tits thread!!!!! I could get away with lickin' this one!!! :)

How many hours? I can't even begin to imagine the amoung of programing it took to make those....let alone machine time. About how many times did you have to reposition them? I want to stand there and watch!!!

Geez....I'm not posting my scraps here anymore!!! :( j/k!! :) Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Battle scar.....they always seem to happen in the last .050" of a cut under power feed(meaning I couldn't let go of the dang controls to knock it away!) .....it was one, big heavy, really hot aluminum chip... you can even tell how tight the spirals were There's 3 blisters at the bottom end where it stuck to my skin! :( *%&$^%*$*$&%!!!!

100_1645.jpg

You guys really melt my mind with this stuff!

Hey fisch. You artsy fartsy guys got nothing on me:D J/K

One of my buddies is a graphic artist he was at my shop and we were just talkin. I said I wish I could draw something other than stick man.

And that him being a great artist. He looks at me and then picks up one of the parts I had sitting on a table. What the hell you call this he says. Thats art man!!!!

So I guess in a way I'm an artist. I take old ass rusty metal and turn it into some shiney cool looking piece of art.

I fell better now.:D

Holy friggin' cow!!!!! Seriously...I'm sportin' wood!!! That beats anything on the post-tits thread!!!!! I could get away with lickin' this one!!! :)

How many hours? I can't even begin to imagine the amoung of programing it took to make those....let alone machine time. About how many times did you have to reposition them? I want to stand there and watch!!!

Geez....I'm not posting my scraps here anymore!!! :( j/k!! :) Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Mike the Aluminum part was two operations on the lathe and two on the mill.

Scrapped two pcs before I got a good one :mad:

Tha carrier was quite a task. The program was pretty intence. I had to call in some troops to help with that one. 4th axis shit there. :eek:

I was wondering how the heck you did it with only 3!!! Cheater!! :) j/k!!! I've looked at the Tormach units....figured if I were to get something like that, I'd pony up for the 4th axis at the same time!! :) Probably cheaper to by a used cnc around here!! :)

A long time ago I had and idea to make some christmas presents. The first ones I made out of redwood. The last few years I have saved my scraps of exotic hard wood and at the end of the year spend a few hours making cars for customers and friends kids. I use a band saw to rough out bodies then I use a belt sander to shape and pnuematic die grinder with roloc sanding discs to finish them. I bore wheels on a drill press with a hole saw, then chuck them on a long threaded bolt and sand them smooth with different grits.

I apply boiled linseed oil as a finish then Watco furniture wax and finally Minwax paste wax. It makes the grain pop out and isn't toxic. Here is my starting grid for this years Xmas 500. The pace car is Claro California Black Walnut with Maple wheels. The pole car is Hard Maple with Ipe wheels. The car on outside pole position is Oregon Black Walnut and Adaman Padauk wheels. They are just raw no oil yet.

P1010800.jpg

P1010801.jpg

Red Oak with Purpleheart wheels.

P1010803.jpg[/img]

Beach with Black Walnut wheels.

P1010804.jpg

P1010805.jpg

P1010807.jpg

With finish applied.

P1010812.jpg

P1010815.jpg

I made some low ridin' trucks too but forgot to take pics. :D

I was wondering how the heck you did it with only 3!!! Cheater!! :) j/k!!!

Yea ya shoulda been there. I tossed one out of the chuck on the mill operation. :eek:

Had to break down and build a fixture to hold it so I that wouldn't toss another one. I was trying to get in a hurry and just jerry rig it but no dice.

That's called the "speed of going slow" :) It's faster to do it right the first time, than to do it twice. No one has time to do it right the first time, but they always have time to do it again!!

I know those quotes oh so well.......doesn't mean I actually live by them :(

I took this pic yesterday, cause I thought it made the shop look like xmas......I didn't say anything to anyone about it. This afternoon, Paula walked out in the shop and exclaimed that it looked like xmas out there!! I think 26 years has created a mind meld!! :)

100_1652.jpg

this new forum layout sucks! Hard on the eyes and what a PITA trying to find threads to update without the statistics tab under out profiles.........:( anyway....there's a 10pg thread bitching about the change...I just hope it goes back. Seriously hate this one! Photobucket just changed their layout too and it sucks!! I'm not a fan of change....unless it were to be my supervisor changing the location of his head..........it's up his *ss right now and I really wish he'd pull it out!

So....I finished the drive pulley for the belt grinder. Here's the machine work that went into it today. :)

I needed to put a key way in. I round a spare parts shaft with a 5mm key in it that was long enough for the width of the pulley. The diameter is too big to use as is.

100_1677.jpg

100_1678.jpg

I needed the key to stand a bit more "proud" of the shaft. I originally thought I was going to tig weld it down the sides, but there wasn't any need to. I shortened it up a bit too so that the key could be squared off at the end.

100_1679.jpg

100_1683.jpg

Probably way more pics than necessary, but oh well. I milled the back side of the shaft down and then rotated it 45deg to gain the rest of the clearance. After the key was welded on, I ground a sharp cutter edge on it.

100_1684.jpg

100_1685.jpg

100_1690.jpg

100_1691.jpg

100_1692.jpg

100_1693.jpg

100_1694.jpg

100_1695.jpg

100_1698.jpg

I found the collet that fit the shaft the closest. I could have used the lathe and the carriage to do this, but the mill was a good bit easier.

100_1699.jpg

100_1702.jpg

th_100_5559.jpg

While I had it clamped down, I milled a flat spot to make starting the drill easier.

100_1703.jpg

I needed to put two set screws in. I wanted one on the key way to hold it. Another on the opposite side just because it would have a lot more threads and could be cranked down harder. I found a drill bit that was close enough to the correct diameter. The extender I wanted to use would have required a hole in the outer lip that would have nearly spanned the entire width. Didn't like that idea....so I made another holder. I needed a tap that could tap both holes from the same side. As you can see the tap's body would crash into the threads it made if it went too deep. I ground the shank down on the tap. As you can see, the nut threaded on past the threads and fit loosely over the shank. I then made a rod to hold it. Held it in with JBWeld. It's only a 6x1.00 tap, so I didn't expect much load. The rag is there to keep the extremely hard cutting wheel abrasives off of the bed ways.

100_1713.jpg

100_1715.jpg

100_1716.jpg

100_1717.jpg

100_1718.jpg

100_1719.jpg

100_1720.jpg

100_1721.jpg

100_1723.jpg

I used a 3/8" end mill to start/make the hole because the 3 deg slope would have pushed any other drill bit off center.

100_1724.jpg

100_1725.jpg

100_1726.jpg

th_100_5560.jpg

I drilled the hole out a bit more to clean it up, then took some scrap AL dowel and turned it down to a diameter that I could press into place. I put Loctite Bearing and Shaft Retainer on it and tapped it in.........................then said "oh shit!!" as I realized I hadn't tapped the holes yet!!! :( I almost didn't get it out. I finally figured out to cut the outside excess off and hammer the rest through.

100_1731.jpg

100_1733.jpg

100_1734.jpg

100_1735.jpg

I cleaned up the hole with a slightly bigger drill bit and did it again....after tapping the holes!!

100_1736.jpg

100_1739.jpg

I cut the excess off again and chucked it in the lathe. I cleaned up the surfaces, inside and out.

100_1741.jpg

100_1742.jpg

100_1743.jpg

100_1744.jpg

I had some closer pics of how hard it is to see the plug, but the camera decided to be a pain. You have to look for it.

100_1754.jpg

100_1755.jpg

100_1756.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting to finish this for months! I had the bottom piece made...thought I had it posted here somewhere, but I can't find it. I made the top piece this evening. Not much to look at, but I've posted some of the other tools I've made for work, so I figured I'd do the same for this one too :) Paula is going to put it to work on saturday....if she likes it the way it is, then I'll bring it home one more time for a bit of heat treating.

100_1832.jpg

th_100_5562.jpg

Holy cow! I was just looking at my photobucket stats....in the last 14 days there's been 45,853 views!! I've got over 3600 pics on there! Since Ratsun is where the vast majority of the pics are posted...I guess there's a few people having to wade through my pics to view the ones they really want to! :) My bandwidth is 9.3g....I'm guessing my limit is 10......may not be long for some of those bandwidth exceeded thingies pop up! :( Anyway......

Edited by mklotz70
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of guys stepped up out of the blue and paid for brake kits. So...I'm working on brake parts. :)

For the last run, I had Datrod cnc the bearing adapters. This run is smaller, so I'm going to see about doing them manually. I bought the DOM and the expanding arbor prior to the last run.....so the stuff has just been sitting there....new in the box :)

The expanding arbor was about $40....I didn't understand that it was a turn to use kinda thing...which means that I have to turn if for this specific application. I can turn it again for something smaller, but I wouldn't be able to use if for these parts anymore. Spendy little thing! :( Anyway.....I got it turned down today and I think it ought to work nicely. We'll see. :)

100_1885.jpg

100_1890.jpg

100_1891.jpg

100_1893.jpg

100_1895.jpg