Let's see some machine work

Dang I need to get a different job!!!!! We don't even have a decent set of drill indexes at work.....let alone any cool tools! :(

......but if I did machining at work all day...I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much at home.

BINGO. That's the last thing you would want to do after work.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Mike why aren't the delrin bushings in here? I Milled a plastic handle the other day... Forgot to take a pic. I shipped it to Wichita for the EE's. Maybe I can get them to send me a pic of it in action :D One of the old timers helped me. He said my idea would take to long so we did it his way. It still took me 6ish hours!!! He said plastic is one of the hardest things to machine with a nice finish.

I'll try to get some "in action" shots next time I turn some. Acetyl cuts so awesome!!! :) I think I have my process down and the dro set to allow me to make these pretty quickly now. At least twice as fast as the last ones I made. :)

100_4201.jpg

100_4203.jpg

Not sure if the other vids will upload before I hit the hay, but here's the first one.

I was turning down some spacers for another set of brake brackets. The first one is a bit long winded, but it's video for those that like to see this stuff in action :)

th_100_4394.jpg

Dang! Why the heck is the audio always out of sync?!! They're fine on my computer :(

Watching them back online....the audio plays early, ends early....the vid gets cut off a couple seconds early too. Irritating!!! Oh well.

Edited by mklotz70
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

aircleanersteelies008.jpg

Here is an air cleaner I made for my 240 a few years back. Just got it back from a friend of mine. I sold it to him a year or two ago. When I went to triples. Now I'm running su's again so we swaped some parts and I have it back to put on the new motor for the 240.

aircleanersteelies009.jpg

aircleanersteelies010.jpg

aircleanersteelies007.jpg

Edited by datrod
  • Like 1
Damn, billet air cleaner lol pimp

I'll post some pic's of the engine when I get it all back together.

As you can see I likey shiney stuff :D

Yea I figured someone would want to see the inside to make sure I had it right. Thing works really well. :D Plus you know me I likey shiney :D

Seeing the inside is purely for helping me when I go to do mine! :) Wouldn't know if it was right or not anyway :)

.......but aren't you slacking a bit since the inside isn't polished? :)

Yea I guess it would let the air flow better. :lol:

Not many are tracking the 411 thread....and this work isn't specific to the 411, so I thought I'd post the machine work here. One of the hubs has a spun beainging. Basically, the bearing seized to it's race at one point and spun the race in the hub. Here's how I fixed it. I really didn't want to weld the area back up and then try to turn it. I'm not a real machinist, so I figure I got really lucky with the press fits I pulled off doing this!!! :)

First....make a slug(sleeve) out of some DOM I already had. I picked the size based on how deep the damage was inside the hub. The third pic is the bevel on the end of the slug....a sharp edge or corner would not have seated completely because of the radius at the bottom of the race area of the hub.

100_5376.jpg

100_5377.jpg

100_5379.jpg

Once the sleeve was made, I mounted the hub to the lathe and trued it up. This isn't the most solid way to hold a piece, but it's how I had to do it.....so the plan was, slower speed and light cuts. I trued it up to the machined surface inside the hub. Lots and lots of light cuts... .010" (.020dia) at a whack :)

100_5381.jpg

100_5382.jpg

Before I removed the hub from the chuck, I cut an 1/8" reference on the end of the hub. Since the sleeve was going to be blocking the surface I referenced to the first time, I needed something to reference to with it in. I started to push the sleeve in by hand and got it stuck....so I turned the 1/8" area with the sleeve hanging out. Once I took it off the lathe, I was able to tap it out. I was really pleased that even with the Loctite Bearing/shaft retainer, it still took a bit of pressure for the press to push it in. Not much, but some. The last pic is the Loctite and checking to see if it was fully seated.

100_5383.jpg

100_5384.jpg

100_5385.jpg

100_5386.jpg

Lots and lots of little cuts with the boring bar.

100_5387.jpg

100_5388.jpg

The sharpie marks are to double check that the sleeve didn't spin in the hub. I turned the sleeve open to allow a press fit on the bearing race. It took a good bit of pressure on the press to seat the race. Checked to make sure it was bottomed. I then realized that I forgot the bevel at the opening. So, I chucked it back up, trued it, cut the bevel :) Can't hardly tell the hub has had any work done to it :)

100_5393.jpg

100_5394.jpg

100_5395.jpg

100_5403.jpg

Nice work Mike. That was a great idea. That is pretty cool, can't find one just fix what ya have. :cool: Most people would have just givin up.

• Like 1

THANKS!!! The reality is, I had two sets lined up....one got delayed, but pl521sss was willing to box/ship me one priority.....but once I figured it out in my head, I realized I could still get it done faster/cheaper...so I had him hold off. Kinda like that "why do they climb the mountain" thing......I think I enjoyed the challenge of the hub repair more than any of the rest of this project! :) I'm in awe of the stuff you make....so for you to say it's cool......well......I am again...quite flattered!!!!! Thank You! :)

I fogrot to mention....since I knew that it was really tight getting the cotter pin back in, I shaved about .030" off the shelf that the bearing race bottomed out against.....cotter pin went in slick as a whistle :)

You and Fig ought to think about making some high end furniture togther. I can envision brazil wood armrests on an office recliner with billet aluminum frame work and heim joints working the motion. oooo.....rosewood against polished aluminum or stainless :) mmmmm..... Somebody should make some bomber chairs for automotive theme offices and such :) Anyway.....so many thoughts.....so little brain power!!!! :)