Let's see some machine work

The only machining was milling the pipe to fit at a 90 degree angle. But, I did use many of my tools to make these.

Next up: I'm going to make a new weber adapter that will allow me to run a stock air cleaner housing with a Weber 32/36 to cut out that ridiculous noise webers make.

Today, I picked up a set of seats from a Prelude. Not sure what year. I mounted the passenger seat first. It took a few hours, but it worked out well.

The seats sat nicely on the floor of the truck. The rear was a matter of drilling holes and bolting them down. The front mounting was not as simple. The mounting points were rotated 90 degrees compared to what came stock in the truck. I wanted to use a crush tube on the horizontal plane where the bolt would go through the seat's stock mounting hole. This wouldn't hold the front of the seat down though. Especially when the person in the seat puts any pressure on the seat back.

So, I made the crush tube and then spaced it up off the floor with a through the floor mount. Like so:

1/2" thick wall black pipe. One piece milled to fit against the other. And a T-nut to weld in for the floor mount.

IMG_0421.JPG

How they fit together:

IMG_0422.JPG

T-Nut welded on:

IMG_0423.JPG

All three pieces welded together:

IMG_0424.JPG

The whole setup, to give you an idea of how it works:

IMG_0425.JPG

Installed:

IMG_0426.JPG

There are one of these at each front mounting point.

IMG_0427.JPG

Seat in the truck:

IMG_0428.JPG

The driver seat will be mounted on the rear side of the seat mounting cross member. This is to allow for more rear adjustment of the driver seat. The passenger is like it is to make room for the subwoofer enclosure going behind that seat. There is plenty of legroom on the passenger side.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slodat.

Give yourself a pat on the back from me. Nice work. :D You guys that do this in your garage give guys like me a bad name. Some nice projects here. :cool:

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just took a friend for a ride in the truck. He was impressed with the seat. The damn thing is sure rigidly mounted. Stock, the came with the seat belt buckle on the drive shaft tunnel side of the seat. All of the mounting parts are there. If I can find a buckle that will work with the 620 belt, I'll sort that out too. That is part of why I wanted the seats well mounted.

I'm off to sort out the important side.. err.. umm the driver side seat mounting..

• 3 weeks later...

So I got all these pretty parts from Datrod :) I gave him the wrong spec on the inside diameter, so I had to figure out a way to hold the small outer adapter so I could shave a couple thou off. Here's what I came up with to hold them....and then a pic of just how pretty his parts are!! :) Thanks!!

100_3732.jpg

100_3734.jpg

100_3735.jpg

I work for a small engineering company(5 cnc lathes 3 cnc mills, setting up and operation 2 mazak cnc mills. Dont get to make any custom one off parts just mass production parts like below.:cool:

Gas(lpg) tank plate

Picture222.jpg

Big Pig

Picture223.jpg

both the pigs and my work area

Picture225.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

Hey Mike, I have one of those same exact switches you mounted in those boxes. I found it in a parts box from machinery used to make solar cells. Not sure where to get more like it, but they sure are cool. Nice work on those adapters, at first glance I thought you were making velocity stacks for side drafts. Hmm.. There's an idear, I'm sure guys would pay for cu$tom one$. Unfortunately my work doesnt allow me to take pics of inside the shop (GET FIRED :eek:). Even though nothing I do is near as involved as what you're doing, I enjoy the whole precision aspect of it, interpreting drawings, working with close tolerance holes and csk's, reamers, gun-barrels, rivet shavers and rotopeeners, etc. It's alot of fun. Keep up the good work dude! :)

LoL, Thats my shwarf shov:D

I know....that's what makes it so cool...you make enough chips to need a shovel!!! :)

Hey Mike, I have one of those same exact switches you mounted in those boxes. I found it in a parts box from machinery used to make solar cells. Not sure where to get more like it, but they sure are cool. Nice work on those adapters, at first glance I thought you were making velocity stacks for side drafts. Hmm.. There's an idear, I'm sure guys would pay for cu$tom one$. Unfortunately my work doesnt allow me to take pics of inside the shop (GET FIRED :eek:). Even though nothing I do is near as involved as what you're doing, I enjoy the whole precision aspect of it, interpreting drawings, working with close tolerance holes and csk's, reamers, gun-barrels, rivet shavers and rotopeeners, etc. It's alot of fun. Keep up the good work dude! :)

Switches? boxes? sorry....not coming to mind. Datrod made the adapters.....that's why they look so purty. I still haven't figured out how to get that kind of surface finish on my work. I'm guessing Datrod would back me up on this, but few datsun guys are willing to pay $'s....let alone big $'s for custom stuff. Unless of course we're talking roadsters....those guys all seem to have big bucks to spend. Next comes the Z guys, then the 510 2dr guys, then all the other 510's, then the trucks....trucks you do for the love of them :)

I know....that's what makes it so cool...you make enough chips to need a shovel!!! :)

Switches? boxes? sorry....not coming to mind. Datrod made the adapters.....that's why they look so purty. I still haven't figured out how to get that kind of surface finish on my work. I'm guessing Datrod would back me up on this, but few datsun guys are willing to pay $'s....let alone big $'s for custom stuff. Unless of course we're talking roadsters....those guys all seem to have big bucks to spend. Next comes the Z guys, then the 510 2dr guys, then all the other 510's, then the trucks....trucks you do for the love of them :)

I've been trying for years to make a living on datto stuff. "NOT" :lol:

I make alot of really cool shit. But I think I'm the only one that likes it. Most people tell me how cool it is then they ask how much. I tell them and there like :eek::fu:!!!!!!!! I don't have that kinda money.

I've been trying for years to make a living on datto stuff. "NOT" :lol:

I make alot of really cool shit. But I think I'm the only one that likes it. Most people tell me how cool it is then they ask how much. I tell them and there like :eek::fu:!!!!!!!! I don't have that kinda money.

I'm guilty of that too......except the :fu: part. :o I'm curious about price from the machinist's end of things more than from the customer side. If Beebani is watching this...he can chime in.....no matter how cheap you make it, somebody wants it for free and then they want you to install it too!! :) I've got 5 guys interested in the 3 brake kits I have. Nobody has paid yet, so as far as I'm concerned....they're still available :) So far, there hasn't been anything that would convince me to make any more. I would have been MUCH better off $ wise and especially time wise to have simply made my own and not even worry about anyone else's. I'm sure glad I had Datrod make the adapters...save me a ton of time and for the deal he gave me....I couldn't justify the time to do them myself. :)

why is it that some Rat members tell you that they are interested in buying and never come through, do they think this is a game or is it that they have nothing better to do but to waste your time.

I've try selling some of my datsun stuff here and I let them know right at the begiinning what type of payment I only except at this time. They agree to it.

So I waste my time of taken pic's, down load to my computor, then to photo bucket then PM them the pic's only to never get a respond back from them.

So now I don't even bother to sell.

I know you got time and cash into what you do mike so what you should do is get a deposit from them, 1/3 or 1/2 down before you start machining and if they decide to back out, you get to keep there deposit for wasting your time and money. You got lots on your plate and if they want to play games then let them pay for it. sorry if I sound harsh but it sucks when pp want to waste pp time when you got better things to do.

end rant .......

Oh...I'll definitely be going the deposit route next time! :) Since I have mine, there's no reason for me to do anymore except for other people's benefit......so I'm not laying my cash on the line :) You wouldn't want to know some of the stuff I've scraped because I just couldn't bring myself to deal with the grief of trying to sell it. I've been considering doing a swap meet booth at Canby.....but when I look at some of the stuff I think...I should be able to get $30 for that....reality is they'll want it for $10...gee....it's a pain in the butt to haul it down there and deal with it for two days for $10. I know for a fact the scrap guy I use will appreciate it!! :) I watched how my buddy got tons of response and interest when he said he was going to do a datsun yard sale, but in the end, you could count on one hand the number of guys that actually showed up and I'm not sure he even made enough to buy dinner for all the effort he put into it.

....oopss.....sorry for the rant...I just remembered this is a machining thread.........hhmm....at least it's one I started! :)

I hear ya and I won't go any further with the rant because this is ur machining thread, just keep up the great work ya do.

maybe someone will start up a rant thread. ha ha

now back to the normal machining thread discussion..............:D

with a threading tool, il take pics of it on monday.

So no tap. I've never tryed one of the threading tools before. I just was wondering how they work.

Dang I need to get a different job!!!!! We don't even have a decent set of drill indexes at work.....let alone any cool tools! :(

......but if I did machining at work all day...I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much at home.