Let's see some machine work

Ran into some fellow Ratsuner's at JCCS and was asked what I have been up to lately. Some them asked me to post pictures on the site. Well, I finally got my German Deckel CNC mill set up. The machine is a tool room CNC mill, not for doing production runs. It was built to very high standards and is made to do prototype work and small runs. It has both vertical & horizontal spindles. It also has hand wheels so it can be used manually. I replaced the way wipers, that I had to order from Germany, (that was a learning experience in itself), got some additional tooling, ordered a Phase Perfect digital phase convertor which converts single phase to three phase (the machine runs on 380 volts 3 phase power),cleaned it all and started making chips. The first project is a set of brake caliper brackets to mount Wilwoods to S12 4 cylinder struts with 300zx hubs.

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=19505&ppuser=1372

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=19506&ppuser=1372

Made a fixture plate from to hold the part while machining

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=19507

A small shoulder made on the mounting stud that locates the part to the fixture plate through the already drilled and tapped caliper mounting holes

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=19511

Setting up to machine the step on the already machined outline of the bracket

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=19508

The completed bracket

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=19510

The completed pair of brackets

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=19509

Monte

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so sweet!!! The machine and the work!! Dang I want to do that! I'm starting to think I should change careers!!

You can come out of the bathroom now Mike. :lol::lol::lol:

Didn't even get a chance to make it there!! ......except to change my shorts! :)

DatsunWizard.....you have this in your garage????!!!! Okay...now I'm about as green as your machine! :( I thought that was a tool room or something where you worked.......now you're probably going to tell me you're retired and get to play in there all the time :(

Maybe I'll just run away to CA and work for Datrod.......I'll set up a cot in the corner of the shop....don't need much where you're in heaven :)

handles001.jpg

How about some door pulls for your wagon Mike.

handles007.jpg

On the ride. Just in time for JCCS. The bummer was the judge never even looked at the car.

Edited by datrod

Dang those trophies are nice!!! Must be a first class car show!

Those door handles are awesome!!!!!! I've thought about making some.....I would have never thought to mount them to the plate to machine the inside like that!! Man am I a newb!!! Thanks for the lesson!

Dave and I went to a sweet machine shop this morning....I thought I was going to get a woody just peeking into their scrap metal dumpsters!!! They're making some pretty cool stuff! One of the engineers walked/talked to us for about an hour....hope he's not too upset when I decide not to use them. :(

Didn't even get a chance to make it there!! ......except to change my shorts! :)

DatsunWizard.....you have this in your garage????!!!! Okay...now I'm about as green as your machine! :( I thought that was a tool room or something where you worked.......now you're probably going to tell me you're retired and get to play in there all the time :(

Maybe I'll just run away to CA and work for Datrod.......I'll set up a cot in the corner of the shop....don't need much where you're in heaven :)

Yes, it is in a detached workshop at my home where I play with my Datsuns, and don't hate me, yes I am semi-retired. I have a full metal shop, three mills, lathe, shaper, tig and mig. I love your projects and taking the time to document them.

Monte

handles001.jpg

How about some door pulls for your wagon Mike.

handles007.jpg

On the ride. Just in time for JCCS. The bummer was the judge never even looked at the car.

Nice work Datrod!

I saw your wagon at JCCS and noticed your handles- very well done. You should get them anodized red, so next time the judges would notice. Could you go thru your setups on making those?

Monte

Monte,

I started with round bar, Turned them on the CNC lathe to get the shape I wanted. Then off to the bridgeport.

I milled down one side to get it flat to mount to the door. Then I put the two holes in for mounting. I then mounted one at a time to the plate you see in the pic and milled down both sides. then I relived the back side. To make it look as close to stock as I could.

Then I went back with a saw blade on the mill and put a slot down the middle. Just to make it look better. If I could have I would have done them on my cnc mill. but no time I had a couple of hot jobs I had to get done.

Next time I do some I'm going to put holes thru the front of it. start with a .625 hole in the middle then as I go out to the end make each hole a little smaller.

Yes, it is in a detached workshop at my home where I play with my Datsuns, and don't hate me, yes I am semi-retired. I have a full metal shop, three mills, lathe, shaper, tig and mig. I love your projects and taking the time to document them.

Monte

Thanks! I sure hope I get to see your projects unfold........especially the parts that involve the toys you just mentioned :)

Datrod......thanks for laying that out.....it would have never dawned on me to use rod to start with.....dang it....this better not get me sidetracked before I finish the 411 stuff!!!! :( :)

Thanks! I sure hope I get to see your projects unfold........especially the parts that involve the toys you just mentioned :)

Datrod......thanks for laying that out.....it would have never dawned on me to use rod to start with.....dang it....this better not get me sidetracked before I finish the 411 stuff!!!! :( :)

I was thinking that if you made some out of three different pieces it would be really easy to fab up some very cool handles.

...uumm....I think I'll wait for you to show me how first :)

I get tired of pulling metal slivers out...hence the gloves.

I usually cut myself just trying to sweep away the chips near the cutter. If I leave it spinning.....I'll be sweeping away chunks! :)

Dude Datrod those handles are awesome!!!! What do you charge for them? If you will take zero down for 16 months same as cash I will take a few sets :D No really how much?

Mike I hear you on the gloves, damn chips get everywhere the worst place is in my shoes haha I noticed in your welding video you had them on too. Have you ever had the spark melt the plastic into your hand? I did once man did that hurt! Building bad ass datto's is painful :D

haven't had the gloves melt to me yet. Most of my pain comes when running the lathe....it's spits off really hot chips that always seem to stick to the exposed flesh on my neck and arms! :(

Got gotta love a blue chip going down your shirt.:lol:

I know :)

I gotta put up these lame ones cause you seem to keep avoiding putting up the cool ones!! :)

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to post vid's.

I was over at a friends shop Friday and he is making a mini small block chevy motor. With a freakin blower on it. I have to try to get a vid of that. You guys will piss your pants. :eek: