Let's see some machine work

Sweet! Those rides are awesome....I can see why they gave out such high class trophies :)

My camera makes avi files. I use ACDSee Pro to save them as mpg.....then they load right up to photobucket just like a pic.

I look forward to seeing the vid! Is it smaller than this one??

100_0750.jpg

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys! I just finally got my machine tooled up this week and started a production run only to have one of my drive motors lockup on me! It was in the middle of a drilling cycle when it gave up the ghost too. I have the machine wholesaler looking into repairing it right now. Anyway, heres some pics of it when I first put it into the garage. After the motor is fixed I will have some vids of me making some parts.

Stats: 12" +/- of X travel

7" of Z travel

5hp motor

C-axis(spindle indexing) control but no brake yet

1/2 center height

5000 rpms max.

1 1/16" thru bore

FAGOR 8025 control

Picture211.jpg

Picture210.jpg

Picture209.jpg

yeah, they're real money makers when they're WORKING but IMO the control is its biggest setback. Its easy once you get used to it but its NOTHING like I have used before.

Looks like I may have to just rebuild the electric brake attached to the back of the drive motor. I just hope it wasn't energized long enough to burn up the motor; well see! Oh ya when I opened it up I found a RENCO encoder on the shaft. My old co-worker worked and designed encoders for RENCO so he is hooking me up with replacement parts!! I wish everytime a machine broke it worked out this way. lol!

I wish everytime a machine broke it worked out this way. lol!

Yea me too. I have a mid 80's CNC lathe that the main board took a crap. I found one but it's like $7500.00 I can't get myself to spend that kind of money on an old ass machine. I bought another brand new one. :eek: ouch.

YIKES! That's more expensive than drives for some newer SIEMENS controls! Who makes it? Ever tried CNC save?

Fanuc, I have a guy that I deal with that is a machine repair guy. He said good luck. :(

Tha machines today are so much better than they were over twenty years ago. So in my case it was better to buy new. $70K is alot of $$$ but when you need a good machine it's not that bad. :eek:

Hey guys! I just finally got my machine tooled up this week and started a production run only to have one of my drive motors lockup on me! It was in the middle of a drilling cycle when it gave up the ghost too. I have the machine wholesaler looking into repairing it right now. Anyway, heres some pics of it when I first put it into the garage. After the motor is fixed I will have some vids of me making some parts.

Stats: 12" +/- of X travel

7" of Z travel

5hp motor

C-axis(spindle indexing) control but no brake yet

1/2 center height

5000 rpms max.

1 1/16" thru bore

FAGOR 8025 control

Picture211.jpg

Picture210.jpg

Picture209.jpg

Is that lathe a Omniturn? What is the center height -1/2? 5c collects? What are doing with those ring gear assy's?

Thanks for the comment. Now to make some bump spacers with a slight improvement in the design, that I have been thinking about

I'll tell ya. You guys are cranking out some really nice stuff out of your garage. Your going to put me out of business. :(

• 1 month later...

Okay...not exactly hardcore machine work, but it's tool making....close enough :)

I had everything I needed to thread the tension control rods for a mod I was doing, except for a handle to hold the dies. They're less than $10 through Enco, but between time and shipping...I figured I'd make one :) That's way more fun anyway!! The ring is a scrap piece from something else...I never through away scrap :( ....which works out well sometimes :) If you notice in the last pic...there's no flat spot....yep...I messed up the position on the first hole....so I redid it and decided to skip the flat spot.

100_1441.jpg

100_1449.jpg

100_1454.jpg

100_1456.jpg

100_1462.jpg

Of course, a die this size takes a lot of torque....I needed a handle....this part was fun! :) I thought about using 3/8" plate, but I wanted something easier on the hands. I took some black pipe, squished the middle completely together...milled a bit, tiged a bit.....viola!! I squished it in stages...I didn't want to rip the tube or put such massive dents in it they wouldn't come out. I put the hammer head under it since I wanted to squish to the middle of the tube...not just flatten it to one side.

100_1466.jpg

100_1467.jpg

100_1469.jpg

100_1472.jpg

100_1473.jpg

100_1475.jpg

100_1477.jpg

100_1478.jpg

100_1479.jpg

100_1480.jpg

100_1481.jpg

Not sure how/why I came up with the squished pipe....just kinda popped into my head. Lot's of ideas floating around in there due to all the available space! Someone once told me that my brain in my head would look like a BB rolling down a 4 lane highway.....I think he gave me way to much credit :)

Mike, one thing you will have at the end of the day is a project that explains why you made each tool you have fabricated. I like that you use what you have available to get what you need to do done. Nice work!

Now, get back to that belt grinder so I can learn from your build!

Lots of good stuff here.

I like the rear view mirror... and the idea of using 2 angle iron pieces to hold the irregular shape in the vise.

Here's something i was able to do during my apprenticeship several years ago.

It's a short shifter for an A-series transmission.

I used a radius cutter for the ball on the end.

611.jpg610.jpg

Thanks :) One of these days, I'll get back to the mirror and finish it. Once the belt grinder is finished, I actually have silicone carbide belts for it....I can do the glass work for the mirror, then I can finish it :)

That's a sweet short shifter!!! It's on my list to make for the wgn. :) I've got a slight twist in mind for mine. hhhmm...I might have to make a ball turner before I do the shifter. Darn...I get....I mean have to make another tool?! Oh darn. :) !!!!

This was rather fun. First time I've played with the knurling tool. For those not following the belt grinder thread...this is one of the pulleys for it. I'm hoping tomorrow to get the 8" pulley done...that one's gonna be a challenge :)

100_1558.jpg

100_1559.jpg

100_1562.jpg

100_1564.jpg

100_1566.jpg

100_1567.jpg

100_1568.jpg

100_1569.jpg

100_1570.jpg

100_1571.jpg