Let's see some machine work

zuum510 is to thank for getting me sidetracked onto this little project :) I had never heard of delrin shift knobs until he asked me about them. This is actually acetyl....which is the generic(cheaper) version of delrin(dupont's brand name). There is a small difference between the two, but it's accepted that the two are the same thing.

This was a 2" rod.....about $1/inch. I need to learn more about how to get a nice finish on it. Took me about an hour on this one, but if/when I do more, they'll go faster. :) I was quite surprised at how nicely it fit my stubby hand.

100_0265.jpg

100_0264.jpg

100_0263.jpg

100_0262.jpg

100_0261.jpg

th_shiftknob1.jpg

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike is the shifter knob threaded? Could you make one with the top bored out to insert one of these? I'd send ya a set of these and buy four of them from ya.

rounddat.jpg

Sorry...thought I responded to this.... I was actually going to do that on this knob, but I couldn't locate the stickers I had. I think the ones I have are bigger than those anyway. I used the ones like that for the center caps on the slots I'm putting on my wife's 521. We can chat more in pm's.

Here's my cluttered shop:

Sweet! A local guy with similar toys! :) Which part of town are you in?

any chance you could turn down some z31 bearing hubs?

You asking flowbench or me? Turn them down how?

hoov...fillout your location...at least city/state.

I'm not familar at all with the 280z stuff...I'm assuming that's the rear strut....so the mod is to get 5 lug? Does the tube piece get welded into the strut? Interesting idea. More details :)

hoov...fillout your location...at least city/state.

I'm not familar at all with the 280z stuff...I'm assuming that's the rear strut....so the mod is to get 5 lug? Does the tube piece get welded into the strut? Interesting idea. More details :)

I'm in socal and yeah, the idea is to use the z31 bearing hub and press it into the 280z strut, then weld them, thus giving you the ability to run z31 stub axles and CV's.

strutdrawing.JPG

I'm in socal and yeah, the idea is to use the z31 bearing hub and press it into the 280z strut, then weld them, thus giving you the ability to run z31 stub axles and CV's.

strutdrawing.JPG

If your in So Cal. Send me P.M. Not trying to rob Mike. but we are at least in the same state. And I'm better looking. :lol:

Mike. To get a good finish on the delrin you need to keep it wet. I know that's hard to do on a manual. But it will make a big difference. Super sharp tool slow feed and not to light on the final cut. Double the tool nose radius works out pretty good for your final pass.

Nice shift knob. I never would have thought of that. Think I'll do one billet with some delrin mixed into it. :eek:

...hmm...didn't get notifications that there were new posts on this thread....

John...you're not robbing me.....he'll get a hugely superior machinist by going with you!! :)

Thanks for the info on the delrin....I made another tonight.....so I guess maybe I'll try that next time :)

This knob is for zuum510 who got me started on these to begin with. This one came out so much better, that I think I'm going to have to do another for the wgn or go back and mod that first one. :)

I don't have a ball turner to round the end off, so I made a profile scrapping tool....actually worked pretty nicely :)

100_0648.jpg

100_0641.jpg

100_0638.jpg

100_0636.jpg

100_0634.jpg

A while back I was helping philcas87 with some machining when my lathe stopped working. Today, I finally looked at it and fixed the minor electrical issue so I could turn down the front hubs on the girlfriend's 620 so I can put the Tahoe 16's on it.

I'm not a professional machinist. Shit, I'm not up to amateur status yet! It still feels awesome to figure out how to chuck the hub up and turn it down without killing myself!

IMG_1527.jpg

I like being able to get the results I need with the mill and the lathe. I know that I'm 100% dumb when it comes to doing things correct or repeatable, but I still enjoy it.

Hey as long as your having fun and saving some $$$$ It's all good. It takes years to figure this shit out. I've been doing it for 35 years and have no idea what I'm doing. :eek:

I go to some other shops and then I want to torch all my shit.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. So I just landed an order to make some billet awards for a huge car show in October. TheTemecula fall car show. They want 50 awards made. With another 100 for next year. I'll snap some pics for you guys when I start making them.

I'm going to make a mini disc brake rotor with a stand. :cool: