Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet! Did you CNC it? Any pics of the process? :)

It was actually cut on a CNC router table. I was just going to make it at my shop by hand, but then I thought since it's flat, I could just draw up the DXF (since I'm a graphics designer) and take it up to my buddies shop and run it on the router table. Worked great. I don't have and pics of making this part out of the aluminum, but here is a pic of testing the artwork by making a plastic one first.

P1080697Small.jpg

Yes, it is vacuum (crazy strong, lol). If you cut things in steps (like I cut that spacer in 1/16" steps since it was aluminum and the hardness of it, that way it doesn't bog down the router) it will cut as deep as the bit you put in it. That plastic I think I cut it at 1/4" per pass. Since that piece was not that wide and right on the edge, we actually screwed it down to the table, just in case, lol.

I'm sure the bigger the piece...the more vac holes...the stronger the hold :)

Thanks for the extra pic and the extra info. I'm sure I'm not the only one that likes more of the details. I can open up any catalog and see finished pieces.....I want to see the process :)

As soon as photobucket uploads, I'll put up some pics of my weekend project :)

So I got a wild hair up my ...... over my weekend :)

Mend came with the stock mirror mount, but the mirror head was long gone. Of course, I could have gone to the s/y and gotten one for about $3.....but what fun is that?! :)

I think there's more than enough pics to let them do the talking :)

100_2145.jpg

100_2155.jpg

100_2156.jpg

100_2158.jpg

100_2160.jpg

100_2165.jpg

100_2169.jpg

100_2174.jpg

100_2177.jpg

100_2180.jpg

100_2181.jpg

100_2182.jpg

100_2185.jpg

100_2188.jpg

100_2190.jpg

100_2191.jpg

100_2192.jpg

100_2194.jpg

100_2197.jpg

100_2198.jpg

100_2199.jpg

100_2207.jpg

100_2209.jpg

100_2210.jpg

100_2212.jpg

yep....I broke my slitting saw arbor :( I cut it the rest of the way with one of the bandsaws.

I forgot to take pics while boring the hole cause I was in a hurry to make the club meeting last night.

Basically, I'll do some sanding, then polish it. Next update will most likely be after I do the mirror for it....little surprise coming there too :)

Well... It's not machine work just yet...

IMG_0371.JPG

I picked up a Logan 9x28 lathe today. Finally made a few chips tonight. I know pretty much zero about machining right now. Lots to learn. Very exciting. I've wanted machine tools since I was a young kid after walking in a machine shop with my dad.

Long day. I'm beat..

I'll take plenty of pics as I do the glass insert :)

Great find Slo!!! I always wanted a mill first, but when I really started to think about what I wanted to do, the lathe did a lot more of it than the mill! You're gonna love the expanded "options" it will give you!! :)

Spent a couple of hours whittling these out for a project at work.

The bar of AL was $58! :( It had better make me a lot of cool little pieces!!

It's pretty common to resaw wood to get it down to the size you need. I decided to "resaw" the AL so I wouldn't have to turn as much into chips. Yep....I cut it with the circular saw to make the majority of the cut. Bandsaw did the rest.

A Sharpie works great as a DyeChem substitue if you know about where your lines are going to be. This wasn't anything that required precision, so I scribed the lines with the calipers and just milled up to them. I used the DRO to position the holes. I meant to make them mirror images, but I oops'd. Won't matter because of how they're going to be used. The finish is the glass beads again.

100_2238.jpg

100_2243.jpg

100_2244.jpg

100_2245.jpg

100_2246.jpg

100_2247.jpg

100_2249.jpg

100_2250.jpg

100_2251.jpg

100_2253.jpg

100_2254.jpg

Edited by mklotz70
2eDeYe;133987']Creepy' date=' like the new sig pic :)

Mike, your making me sick and now Slo is gonna make even worse...

I see 'lathe' & 'mill' in my cl'ing future. lol[/quote']

Buy a lathe! Holy shit they are amazing. I have zero clue what I am doing with it yet. I have been running ragged the past few days because I'm headed out of town for work tonight. I'm trying to get my 620 back on the road for DD duties. Last night we couldn't get the old pilot bushing out to save ourselves. So, I made a copy of a Lisle pilot bushing removal tool I saw in a catalog once. It freakin worked!

No photo. I forgot. I'll snap one when I get back home..

Red....buy the lathe first :) Get one like Slo did....with tons of tooling. I've got more into tooling now than the cost of the lathe....probably twice into mill tooling as the mill! :(

Creepy....didn't notice the air gauges.....love them!!!