Let's see some machine work

Quick question, when you buy a new machine, does Doosan set it up and give a quick class?

Yes. They do set it up for you. Level and test run. They will do a one day traning deal. But it's not much.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my latest addition to my shop. Wells-Index vertical milling machine. Good old American iron.

IMG_3843.jpg

That's a good little mill. What year is it? Looks to be 60's :)

That's a good little mill. What year is it? Looks to be 60's :)

I'm unsure of age. It's nice and tight. Has a pretty cool X axis power feed. I have VFD's for the spindle motor and the power feed motor.

Sweet!!!! Thanks!!!! :)

...I've got a couple of CAD files to test on it :) hehehe :)

Yea man. What ya got?

That first pic is a 1.687 dia Drill at 1000rpm's and .007 feed rate 3.7 deep in just a couple seconds. :D

Yea man. What ya got?

I'll pm you a bit later :)

That first pic is a 1.687 dia Drill at 1000rpm's and .007 feed rate 3.7 deep in just a couple seconds. :D

DANG!!! How much of that speed is thanks to flood coolant?

So....does this new machine give you more/different capabilities? Is it simply faster? I'm curious what the motivation/justification was.........hhmm....or maybe you just got busy enough to justify it? That would probably be the best answer! :)

DANG!!! How much of that speed is thanks to flood coolant?

So....does this new machine give you more/different capabilities? Is it simply faster? I'm curious what the motivation/justification was.........hhmm....or maybe you just got busy enough to justify it? That would probably be the best answer! :)

And that was 4130 heat treated mat'l :lol: The giant coolant pump really helps. Plus the drill incerts are really tough.

The motivation was.. buy a another machine or give up the work. I'm having a hard time keeping up with what my customer needs.

I'm unsure of age. It's nice and tight. Has a pretty cool X axis power feed. I have VFD's for the spindle motor and the power feed motor.

Get that thing running and make something. :)

And that was 4130 heat treated mat'l :lol: The giant coolant pump really helps. Plus the drill incerts are really tough.

The motivation was.. buy a another machine or give up the work. I'm having a hard time keeping up with what my customer needs.

...hhhmmmm.....need some extra man power? I'm a quick learner! :) LOL!!

...hhhmmmm.....need some extra man power? I'm a quick learner! :) LOL!!

Mike.

I think you would be bored after a few days. I do the same shit over & over. The stuff I make I've been doing them for 20 years. I would like a change. But what I do pays the bills. Well most of the time. :lol:

I'm sure you're right....but at least it would be a step up. You create everyday.....I repair and vacuum. I've been repairing crap for almost 30 years now.......I'm soooooooo f'in' sick of it. The fact that I sold the NL and 510 because there wasn't really any "creation" left to do with them and bought a new car....that ought to say how much I'm fed up with repair work! :) I can't get my head around working on the Fairlane....same thing.....no interest in repairing it. Anyway.....I know....wah! LOL Part of the appeal of having a job like that is every machinist I've talked to has access to the equipment in the "off" time. That would make it worth it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought this South Bend 16" x 60" tool room lathe last June. It fell on its face while being uloaded. After a lot of time gathering the required parts, a lot more procrastinating and a lot of work, I got the lathe back together tonight. Feels good to see it coming together.

IMG_4546.jpg

Installed an Aloris CXA quick-change tool post and made my first chips!

IMG_4547.jpg