Let's see some machine work

Wow. It's a shop I would run from. Can't work for places that won't reinvest in newer tooling.

I worked at a robotics manufacturer that had some old Mori's but they held tits on dimensions. .001" true po and ".0002 flatness was common place. +- .005 was unheard of. Never seen so many premature gray haired people in one place ha ha ha ha and some with weird balding patterns.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked here for almost 8 years, they do invest I'm tooling I actually got a cost savings award for a boring bar that I designed for the blind line bores, I could run it a minimum of twice as fast as the old one. I will admit that the machines they run it on are the best ones we have to do that size of parts

20140314_064539_zpsf6da78a5.jpg

This part is a planitary gear carrier. Mat'l is 9310. The gear end is case hardned to 60-64 Rc. true position of the planet pin holes is .0007. To the gear.

With a +.0004 on the hole dia.  

20140314_064556_zps6b00206e.jpg

20140314_064628_zps4fd3b11d.jpg

Nice! Machine?

Its just an old HAAS HS-1RP, it does beautiful work though.

It was setup to do tripple trees rotating them on 4 stations per pallet. and it has two pallets. So you could switch the workpieces while it was working on pallet two. But now its on wheel duty.

:lol: production machining, every new person in management has said in our shop that "things are going to change around here, we are going to get out more complex parts faster". Then they concede that we can't do production in a job shop that machines castings

• Like 1

That's an odd looking machine. So X and Y are mounted on the Z axis? That can't be very rigid?

Very strange even for Haas.... :)

These are not strange machines, its an HMC, Horizontal machining center. HAAS makes a bunch of them. And it it is very highly rigid,This is not a Kia :rofl: (mill not car) ,  it makes wheels, and motorcycle tripple trees.

Think of it like a standard style mill with an indexing chuck, except the x axis is vertical.

The other we have doesnt have a pallet changer and it rotates 4 parts doing a different operation of two parts on each side on a tombstone. each time its done two parts are finished, you move two to the next side of the tombstone and load two sides of the tombstone with fresh stock. It takes about 2 hours to finish a set of tripple trees.

And on HAAS its an A axis, not B like on some machines.

Not looking for a pissing match.

That machine is "strange" as it's not how "normal" HMC's are setup. The casting on an HMC is usually quiet large and support the Z and X Axes.

On the Haas everything rides on the Z axis Linear Guides. Not rigid at all.

I'm not banging on your machine. We have lot's of "not so rigid" machines here. We actually own 3 Haas's and I just bought a GR510 Router. Everything has it's use and place. My comment was it's strange for a HMC. I stand by that comment.

Haas:

HAAS_zps97789271.jpg

Standard:

HMC_zps0d8a90f5.jpg

Not looking for a pissing match.

That machine is "strange" as it's not how "normal" HMC's are setup. The casting on an HMC is usually quiet large and support the Z and X Axes.

On the Haas everything rides on the Z axis Linear Guides. Not rigid at all.

I'm not banging on your machine. We have lot's of "not so rigid" machines here. We actually own 3 Haas's and I just bought a GR510 Router. Everything has it's use and place. My comment was it's strange for a HMC. I stand by that comment.

Haas:

HAAS_zps97789271.jpg

Standard:

HMC_zps0d8a90f5.jpg

The "normal" design would in theory be more rigid, but even at 15 and 16 years old, these machines still do lots of work beautifully, and they are still extremely solid machines.

I prefer the VMCs with A axis though. All our machines are HAAS, we dont use anything else.