Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tooled up our new (new to us) Kitamura Mytrunnion5.

Used all Lang quick change withholding like I do on all our 5axis machines.

96mm Quickpoint set into a machined sub plate.

2014-08-02%2015.23.20_zpscltzwykp.png

I then machined a plate with locators on the bottom and mounted 3 52mm Lang plates. On top is 2 Lang77 vises. This configuration allows one or two vises mounted in like 20 different configurations. I made more tooling that i don't have pics of.

20140723_124730_zpspmu2v47c.jpg

20140723_124738_zps9engkyav.jpg

First piece of stock I cut. 4"x7"x17.5" 6061-T6. I'll post pics of the finished part tomorrow.

20140723_133423_zpsdbctk9bv.jpg

• Like 3

Here's the part I made. These are for a F35 assembly jig.

All the holes are at different vector angles.

Parts are done in one Operation and I leave a 0.010" skin that allows me to break the finish part off and remove the skin with a file.

20140803_084216_zpsmiapnpyh.jpg

20140803_084228_zpstjeuxzmj.jpg

20140803_084247_zpsahvebdjd.jpg

• Like 3

Here's the part I made. These are for a F35 assembly jig.

All the holes are at different vector angles.

Parts are done in one Operation and I leave a 0.010" skin that allows me to break the finish part off and remove the skin with a file.

20140803_084216_zpsmiapnpyh.jpg

20140803_084228_zpstjeuxzmj.jpg

20140803_084247_zpsahvebdjd.jpg

What's up with the red tag. That tells me it didn't pass inspection. Impressive part...

The tech that installed the machine missed the rotary centerline by 0.003" in the x-axis.

That was literally the first part off the machine and the holes have a true position of 0.008" so it was bad.

It was practice ;)

The machine is great though. I'm super stoked. I flew back to dc to inspect it when we were interested in buying it. Its got a 20K Big Plus Cat40 spindle and 100 tools :)

• Like 1

It was a 4"x7"x10' bar of extrusion. We cut it to length.

Its funny I thought the machine might be too big for us and the first part was a challenge to make because it was too big...... had to do some creative stuff to fit the part within machine travels and avoid collisions...

20140807_074702_zpso0vpml8s.jpg

A little award I did for the ZCON this weekend. It's for the head designer of the 240Z Mr Matsou.

The Z car Club of San Diego asked me to come up with something. This is all I could come up with.

• Like 3

Frankly the prices on Knee mills lately are astronomical, I wouldnt pay any more than 2000, and I myself honestly wouldnt even be looking at it for that price unless it says Bridgeport on it. Auctions are your friend too with this stuff, see if you can find local equipment auctions of industrial places that are going out of business.

Check all the ball screws, as Matt said test XYZ axis with indicators, check the spindle for runout, turn it on if possible, inspect the bearings (make sure they dont sound like a cement mixer)

• Like 1

It has a dro, power feed and a few accessories but I dont see $4k sitting there. Personally I would be looking at around $2500 for that setup.

Maybe worth 4k if it was a series 2 Bridgeport, but I agree with the Dr. $2500 is all I see. If it comes with a tone of GOOD cutting tools might be worth the $4k

• Like 1

Man, you guys get to work with some pretty cool machines.....we just got a brand new Chinese made live tooling vtc/vt/vbm, and it tore the tool changer off of its self the first time we ran it.

damn really?  boss musta been pissed.

Will they ( chinese company ) replace it?

damn really? boss musta been pissed.

Will they ( chinese company ) replace it?

They broke it :lol:, they installed the machine and were testing things and it literally just fell off. That good quality sub standard non graded Chinese hardware

I worked for a guy a long time ago that kept giving me shit for only using air tools. My air hammer was made in Italy and has been a trades standard for over a hundred years, he kept saying it was loud and useless, he also thought this electric "flexible shaft" p.o.s was superior to the air driven pencil grinder that I had. Idiot, the thing literally blew up in 2 minutes and whipped around the shop for another minute, I finally got a boot on it like it was a snake and killed the power

$(KGrHqRHJCoFIWCkvLD1BSG3j6tYt!~~60_35.J

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^        

pencil-grinders-inflatable-16225-3622377

vs. THIS  ^^^^^^^