Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain that to the dipshit engineers where I work ;D

Or anywhere for that matter, I wish you could see some of the stupid shit I find on prints....

I think that every engineer should serve an apprenticeship in the field that they are engineering for, so they would come up with half of the dumb shit they do

• Like 1

I like the Engineers that say there is no skill involved in machining. No education needed like engineering O.o

Then I turn them loose on a machine. "Show me how easy it is.." :D

The look of panic overtaking arrogance is awesome.

• Like 2

^^ I did that with our production manager once, I was talking too long. "a real machinist could get that done in an hour!!" So after 15 minutes of not figuring out how to make the machine move in z he gave up and told me to just not fuck it up. :lol:

Have you guys worked with a cnc machine manufacturing engineer? Electronic Control Engineer? These guys/gals ain't the same as your shop's wanna-be engineer. Trust me I've ran across some real winners myself. When the real engineers show up its a whole different story. I spent 3 days with a Mazak Engineer and Mitsubishi Control Systems Engineer fine tuning our high speed lookahead and smoothing control. Let's just say they knew a few things.....  :ninja:

We have had a couple real engineers and they are very good at what they do, I think we are talking about the engineers that design a part and have something stupid like +-.010 on a weld prep or a 2" deep 5/16 lifting eye hole and think that that is necessary.

...I wish we had nice fancy machines....

Project I've been working on. It's not some cool CNC shit, or even really that good but this is literally my first machining project ever and I'm proud of it. I had 0 Hours of experience on mills and lathes before this project now I'm in about 65 hours on manual mills and started some lathe work today. Go easy on criticisms ;)

20140326_191502_zpse2fo9dgr.jpg

20140326_191526_zpsy9cmcnny.jpg

• Like 2

Incorporate some cooling fins on that thing. looks like it has plenty of meat around the edges. 

Good job Rookie!! Get those hours put in your log book for your certs too. Was the instructor part of the metal workers guild (union ;))

Incorporate some cooling fins on that thing. looks like it has plenty of meat around the edges.

Good job Rookie!! Get those hours put in your log book for your certs too. Was the instructor part of the metal workers guild (union ;))

Is got meat on the edges because it's a stressed member of the frame. Not my decision, in fact I hated the decision but it wasnt up to me.

Didnt really have an instructor lol. Im taking my first machining class starting monday lol. This is just what happens when you join a racing team with ambition to overcome lack of experience. Basically just got help from other team members when I ran into trouble, struggled through it and finished it a few days ago.

Project I've been working on. It's not some cool CNC shit, or even really that good but this is literally my first machining project ever and I'm proud of it. I had 0 Hours of experience on mills and lathes before this project now I'm in about 65 hours on manual mills and started some lathe work today. Go easy on criticisms ;)

20140326_191502_zpse2fo9dgr.jpg

20140326_191526_zpsy9cmcnny.jpg

Is got meat on the edges because it's a stressed member of the frame. Not my decision, in fact I hated the decision but it wasnt up to me.

Didnt really have an instructor lol. Im taking my first machining class starting monday lol. This is just what happens when you join a racing team with ambition to overcome lack of experience. Basically just got help from other team members when I ran into trouble, struggled through it and finished it a few days ago.

Dude, for your first time on a mill you are doing really well. Keep up the great work, make sure you post the finished product!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

So I am pretty proud of myself today, I setup the whole machine with new fixtures, tools, and WCS G56 offsets for this part all by myself with no supervision or help. This is the first time I have done this completely unsupervised and by myself. I am entry level still, so this is a big step for me. Machined on our newest HAAS VF2, I LOVE that machine, it sits next to our oldest (1996) VF2 (we have 3, 2 from 2010 or newer) the VF3 is way more awesome though, lol. Even the old HAAS are nice to work on, really great control.

I normally run between 3 and 5 machines in our shop by myself, but I havent been setting them up completely by myself until today. But yesterday I learned how to setup 4th axis offsets and fixtures.

New floorboards for Harley Davidsons.

IMAG0458_zps5922a6cc.jpg

IMAG0461_zpsfe23f425.jpg

• Like 1