Nuts and Bolts

Anyone have a good online source of nuts and bolts hopefully USA made with a website you don't have to crawl through pages of crap to get to a specific size?

My local hardware store only carries a small amount of nuts and bolts, and I'm always spending time cutting them to length.

I was shopping online and went to Fastenal but they only list the supplier as approved and rarely list country of origin = CHINA.

I tried searching for US made nuts bolts but every website I tried sucks having no selections for sizes and only selling whole boxes, I just want a few of some.

Edited by Ooph!
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

McMaster-Carr is great for hdw, but if you care about having factory looking hardware, it's almost non-existent there.

Bell Metric has tons of hdw, but again... not factory looking.

Overland Metric has JIS metric and looks like factory Toyota hdw, which isn't far from what Nissan nuts and bolts look like. They also sell stainless JIS hdw.

https://www.overlandmetric.com/

A small selection of the hdw from Overland Metric.

image.thumb.png.f1bdbc073f11860cc281af3bfa8fd666.png

• Like 3

I'm not sure how big of a town Masktopia is but in the Portland OR area there are several nut and bolt, or MRO suppliers that will sell you one specific bolt. One example is Portland Screw, they are an small independent supplier of fasteners and you might be able to find a business like them in your area.  While it's not a reliable source for a specific fastener, when I go to the Pick-n-Pull I take my electric impact and unbolt all kinds of shit just for the fasteners so I can build up a stock of stuff for my garage. I throw them in my tool box and I have never been charged for them.

Edited by Z23T
  • Like 3

All good suggestions, this batch of bolts is just general use except 4 bolts, and I just wanted to buy 4 not a whole box.

I'd also like to know where it comes from before buying.

I cut back on my order and just got it from fastenal because they will sell pieces I'll just have to wait to see what shows up.

• Like 1

I have been using Belmetric lately.  They do have JIS size head bolts.  Not marked on the head with the numbers like the factory bolts, but I have been satisfied with them generally.  They also have nice SEMS screws, although usually with both flat and lock washer instead of just lockwasher as sometimes originally used.

They have individual quantities if you only need a few, but discounts for bulk (like 25+), which is nice for washers, etc.

This page shows flange bolts with the JIS head sizes to match Nissan/Datsun original.

https://belmetric.com/bolts/hex-flange-jis-10-9/

SEMS:

https://belmetric.com/screws/yellow-sems-machine/

I was spoiled working at a Honda dealer then at a Japanese assembly plant (largest metric fastener store ever), and I did collect lots of samples over the years.

Edited by iceman510
  • Like 2
On 3/1/2023 at 7:24 AM, metalmonkey47 said:

McMaster and Fastenal are usually my go-to. If they won't list the country of origin, it's also likely that they have many suppliers in different areas, as this is usually the case with hardware.

McMaster is capable of supplying MIL Spec parts with lot traceability so can provide domestic as opposed to imported possibly questionable parts. Some of their approved parts are flying on a weather satellite that I participated in the launch of. [Pardon the twisted grammar.] These McMaster's parts were reviewed and certified by government QC inspectors.

• Like 2
On 3/3/2023 at 3:43 PM, MikeRL411 said:

McMaster is capable of supplying MIL Spec parts with lot traceability so can provide domestic as opposed to imported possibly questionable parts. Some of their approved parts are flying on a weather satellite that I participated in the launch of. [Pardon the twisted grammar.] These McMaster's parts were reviewed and certified by government QC inspectors.

I do love a good MIL spec bolt. Super sexy.

• Like 1

I really love the aviation bolts with the holes and fancy seizing wire in them. Nothing is cooler than looking at the cooling fins, pushrod tubes and the wire siezed bolts on an old radial engine! But that's just me. I would kind of like the seizing wire look on intake manifold, exhaust manifold and valve cover bolts. Maybe a little polished copper tubing for fuel and vacuum lines for a steampunk look.

• Like 3

I use TrueValue a lot.  They have a tendency to not have the Nissan thread-pitch though (I think 1.25).  But, they have a lot of the small stuff.  When you get up around 13m, that is when it starts getting sketch (Sketchy, as my daughter says it).

• Like 2
On 3/6/2023 at 7:44 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Really? Auburn has nothing.

according to Dave they have a large selection 

and they are 12mm heads 14mm heads etc. not the stuff that has 13mm heads 

• Like 2

I have found that Japanese motorcycle shops have a great selection of bolts and nuts for our cars.  Years ago I was at an auction of a dealership going out of business and got all of the nuts and bolts from the repair dept.  Also most mowers are metric bolts.  You shouldn't have to go far to get a few here and there.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, obrut said:

I just had a bunch of stuff plated for my 510, I even grabbed most of the extra miata and 1980 toyota truck hardware and took it too.

bolts.thumb.jpg.90c68174467500b61b8e912bddb23354.jpg

bolts1.thumb.jpg.515041c5fb9e7770ce85d51368f2f6a1.jpg

Did you clean it first? My plater can't remove paint, but any amount of rust on the hardware dissolves in his vat. So painted stuff I have to either chemically strip or blast first.

• Like 2