I 'also' scored a 510 wagon!!! :)

71DIMER

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Mark this does suck. I'll give you a call soon to work out when I will go down there, as soon as I'm done with my current work schedule I will make the cruise down there. I know you're already packing so I hope it leaves us some time, otherwise we may have to make other arrangements but we'll figure it out.

As far as what I'm looking for, it really doesn't matter too much I just want to get it on track to get her back on the road running. I would like to get a nice running L series but if I must I'll take one to get rebuilt just to know the condition of what's going back in so any leads are appreciated guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Mario lemme know if you want the L 16 in my yard...if not ill have to relocate it... im in a time crunch :rolleyes:

Mark: I'm 99% sure I'm getting this local one...so I know you're in a time crunch so go ahead and store it...I really do appreciate you offering it up to me, it's just that this is SO much easier to get it up here locally. I'll give you a call tonight!

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a few weeks but an update. Found a complete running local L16 from one of the guys who attends the monthly meets and we struck up a deal. Here's my wagon outside his shop next to his (donor) car. Also some closeups of my ruined engine.

a40c2a9c.jpg

a5be2338.jpg

3a22e5d7.jpg

Burrito213: thanks for the compliment, it does look pretty cool with the Works. I'm glad I got them.

Yeah my poor engine, I was hoping to find a bigger more suitable engine so I would be able to use my dual 44mm Mikuni's but oh well, I had to get the goon back up and running ASAP so whatever was available the fastest is what took priority.

Here's a brightened up pic of both my goon and the donor 510 (which don't feel bad, this donor 510 will soon be getting an LS1 engine!):

donorgoon.jpg

Burrito213: thanks for the compliment, it does look pretty cool with the Works. I'm glad I got them.

Yeah my poor engine, I was hoping to find a bigger more suitable engine so I would be able to use my dual 44mm Mikuni's but oh well, I had to get the goon back up and running ASAP so whatever was available the fastest is what took priority.

Here's a brightened up pic of both my goon and the donor 510 (which don't feel bad, this donor 510 will soon be getting an LS1 engine!):

donorgoon.jpg

OoO LS1 ... freaking crazy... would love to see some videos of that... Mario where is your roof rack i am soo diggin it with it on..

-Ernie

OoO LS1 ... freaking crazy... would love to see some videos of that... Mario where is your roof rack i am soo diggin it with it on..

-Ernie

Well he's just staring that project but I'll ask him to post pics once it's done.

I took my roof rack off to give it a sleek look...at least for a little while. I still have the roof rack though.

• 8 months later...

Well it's been a pretty long while since I've updated anything on my wagon but here's what I just finished working on.

My Watanabe wheels!

Just a warning...it's pretty PICTURE HEAVY!

Here's what they looked like on my 1970 510 way back:

beforewithwats3.jpg

Here they are on my 1968 510 wagon not too long ago:

IMG_7579.jpg

IMG_7567.jpg

Wheel Before:

IMG_3160.jpg

Lip Before:

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

Lip Paint Removed:

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

Face and Barrel Separated:

IMG_3222.jpg

Face Prior to Stripping Paint:

IMG_3257.jpg

Face Being Stripped:

IMG_3276.jpg

Face Paint Removed:

IMG_3795.jpg

Face Primered:

IMG_3796.jpg

Face Painted:

IMG_3798.jpg

Logo Painted with thinned out red paint so it would flow nicely:

IMG_3809.jpg

Logo Painted Close Up:

IMG_3811.jpg

Barrel Prepped for Polishing:

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

Hardware Old and New class 12.9 Zinc Coated Bolts with class 8 serrated flanged nuts:

I tested each nut and separated the ones that weren't quite right (wobbly)

IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

Rear Barrel Before:

IMG_3852.jpg

Rear Barrel Cleaned Up:

IMG_3854.jpg

Barrel Lip Shined Up:

IMG_3866.jpg

Test Fitting:

IMG_3867.jpg

AFTER: All painted, mated, and bolted down.

I didn't like the dark wheel look in my 510's so I went with a 'Winters Grey' color

32e62307.jpg

802b84a5.jpg

1568b2d0.jpg

8152c92b.jpg

85211f7d.jpg

67012161.jpg

4e2274c0.jpg

5a20e34b.jpg

Wow! What a little effort will do for rims. Nice job... Im in the same place right now. Theres a bit of rash I have to fix (well send out to fix), but I think Im going to do the rest myself. Where did you get your hardware from? Now lets se them mounted!

Thanks, it took a little while with my crappy back pain and other things going on so I finally got around to working on them. I bought all my hardware from my local Fastenal (www.fastenal.com), they're great when it comes to helping you out. Their website should give you all the info you need but you can call your local distributor and they will help you out as well. They were really cool, I had a hard time finding those serrated flange nuts so they special ordered them for me from a vendor I found that didn't sell to individuals.

Thanks Fisch, it was a labor of love that's for sure. I had the lips polished at a local place for what I thought was a good deal considering the next cheapest place wanted over double the price. The hardware wasn't cheap (almost $100 when it was all said and done) but then again I didn't want to risk my life over a few bucks. I need to either swap the tires on my Work Equip 03's or get new ones...decisions decisions! :P