Father/Son 77 Datsun 620 KC Build

RustedRails

2 hours ago, RustedRails said:

Hey Don, I can absolutely do that for you today at some point. I'll reply to this post so if anyone else is wondering, they can see also. Would be interested in what you find actually. We kicked around the idea for air conditioning but leaned against it. Now maybe there's another option. What motor will you be running?

The motor is an SD-22. I have the diesel motor, 5 speed transmission that came with the motor from the factory, a 1982 diesel frame I got from wayno, and a 1973 620 that my Dad bought brand new in 1973. The most that I need is the funds to complete the project, so it will be slow as I come up with the funds.

Don

• Like 1
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I was feeding chickens I stopped at the cab shell to refresh my memory about the wiper motor mounting surface. The plan is to use the dimensions you provide, your picture, and make a wooden mock-up of the wiper motor so I can see what I am up against with using the AC unit, and see if it is possible. I spent many years as a custom cabinet maker/installer (ability to solve problems), so I am real hopeful about the possibility.

Don

• Like 2
13 hours ago, 620slodat said:

RustedRails, can you help me out? This pic is really good for my purposes. I need some measurements if you are able to get them for me. The standard cab I am going to use still has the dash in it, and the King Cab I am using for mock-up is just a shell. With my daughters help I got the picture below. I am needing the total depth and extreme size of the wiper motor. The dimensions are the full depth of the motor from the surface it is mounted on to the extreme back edge of the motor, and the dimensions from the end of the bracket that holds the dash to the same points used for the above measurements.. 

With your help I can see if I can use the AC unit from the 95 Pathfinder. The wiper motor is the biggest fly in the ointment so far, and I need to see what I'm up against. Your help can save me a lot of time if you are able to get these dimensions.THANK YOU!!

Don

wiper motor - CROPPED.jpg

Don, hopefully these help. I'll try to label the pics but the Measurement C was a little confusing. I think when you see a diff angle, D will work.

A = roughly 6 1/4" - 6 3/8"

2GIXSNH.jpg

B = roughly 6"

CMndX4e.jpg

C = roughly 2 1/2"

fb1Dbf9.jpg

D = roughly 2"

3fwRBK6.jpg

Extra

Took a measurement of the windshield to the bracket in question about 2 1/2"

u6EUk9Q.jpg

Better side shot of the assembly

J0kSDEW.jpg

Let me know if this works for you.

• Like 1

Thank You!!! Those pics give me lots of good information, especially the last one. The last two pics I never even thought about, but it gives me a real good perspective of the wiper motor.

Pic 4 (D) and pic 6 show me something I never considered, the electrical connector is riveted to the metal body of the wiper motor, not hanging loose. Pic 4 shows that it is around 2 5/8ths from the mounting plate to the extreme edge of the electrical connector. That shows me I need one more measurement, from the firewall metal surface to the mounting plate where you are putting the end of the tape measure in pic 4 (D).. This measurement and the measurement of 2 5/8ths will get me the total depth of the wiper motor. I'm guessing the missing measurement must be around 5/8ths inch.

After seeing your pics I can understand why you said measurement C was confusing. I think that with the new measurement, and the D measurement (2" plus 5/8ths for electrical) C won't be needed and I will have the all the needed measurements. 

Don

10 hours ago, RustedRails said:

Don, hopefully these help. I'll try to label the pics but the Measurement C was a little confusing. I think when you see a diff angle, D will work.

A = roughly 6 1/4" - 6 3/8"

2GIXSNH.jpg

B = roughly 6"

CMndX4e.jpg

C = roughly 2 1/2"

fb1Dbf9.jpg

D = roughly 2"

3fwRBK6.jpg

Extra

Took a measurement of the windshield to the bracket in question about 2 1/2"

u6EUk9Q.jpg

Better side shot of the assembly

J0kSDEW.jpg

Let me know if this works for you.

Edited by 620slodat
I guess I lost my perspective, too many things going on
  • Like 1
On 6/21/2020 at 5:20 PM, RustedRails said:

Planned on getting the interior taken apart today but the rain had other ideas. Even though there's not much left, aside from the seat belts, some trim pieces and the dash, we were trying to clean up the floor pan to see what kind of rust we have going, the overall condition of the body mounts and how much we will need to replace. Unfortunately as stated previously, started raining shortly after and has been on and off all day. Went and got a canopy so we can work in the rain if needed but mainly for some shade.  Also spent some time cleaning the garage a bit so we can eventually pull it in and work in there. Here's a few shots of the L20B how it sits and my son turning some bolts for the first time. I know it doesn't seem like much....but the longest journey starts with the first step.

Air filter just sitting on the carb not attached.

YbU4OHY.jpg

0x1grLU.jpg

Taking off the seat belt assembly

tmi53M1.jpg

DbY54r0.jpg

Love these photos.  So glad to see some folks can still "hear" Pink Floyd too!  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update - Came across a great deal for a some KA parts and decided to jump on it. The seller ended up throwing in a ton of extra parts we were looking for at a great price. Parts are at the machine shop getting an evaluation and a rejuvenation! Can't wait to see how it all comes out. 

Machine shop is taking a look at both blocks and heads to see which is in the best shape and needs the least amount of work. So grateful for both the sellers kindness and the machine shops willingness to help us out.

Both blocks, heads, cams, rods and crankshaft heading to the machinist

CYs1ThN.jpg

Intake manifold that came with the sale

HuuBACD.jpg

• Like 3
On 8/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Does anyone make a carb intake for the DE? I know there is a dual side draft intake for the E motor. Carbs would make the conversion so easy, especially for cars/trucks that didn't need to pass smog.

I have no idea....are you saying they would make it easy because of the wiring? @Stoffregen Motorsports

• Like 1
On 8/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Does anyone make a carb intake for the DE? I know there is a dual side draft intake for the E motor. Carbs would make the conversion so easy, especially for cars/trucks that didn't need to pass smog.

I've seen it done a couple of times on this forum, neither were off the shelf. As I recall one used a 4 barrel and the other dual side draft webers.

Edit for having done 2 minutes of research. The 4 barrel conversion likely used a 98-04 frontier intake manifold as the base.

Edited by UnderControl
21 hours ago, RustedRails said:

I have no idea....are you saying they would make it easy because of the wiring? @Stoffregen Motorsports

Yes. Wiring can be troublesome for some.

11 hours ago, UnderControl said:

I've seen it done a couple of times on this forum, neither were off the shelf. As I recall one used a 4 barrel and the other dual side draft webers.

Edit for having done 2 minutes of research. The 4 barrel conversion likely used a 98-04 frontier intake manifold as the base.

A Holley 2 barrel would probably be perfect for one of these.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:15 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Years ago I saw a post where a 510 guy bought a pair of aluminum Weber DCOE MOUNTING FLANGES (likely from Pierce or ??), realized that the intake plenum of the KA24DE was spaced apart pretty close to the spacing for dual Webers, cut the DE plenum & welded the mounting plates in place, lots of grinding & porting to get ports aligned, thus placing the carbs pointing at the passenger inner fender well!

More recently, a white 510 was on BAT, I think that guy claimed he purchased a new DE intake manifold for DCOE"S (sorry, I don't know), but you might look for some used parts for perhaps an old SCCA 240SX race car.............I thought i saw a DCOE intake available MANY years ago............1991-1998 era.

The SCCA cars ran 12 valve KA24E motors. I built a bunch of them back then, and yes, they had dual side draft manifolds. After I left Rebello, they allowed EFI, but I don't think they ever went to the DE motors. Here's a couple pics of the car I used to crew for.

2010-01-20-1915-33_edited.jpg

nasport_edited.jpg

• Like 4

That black #8 car was owned and driven by Frank Honsowetz and the guy in the yellow hat standing next to it is Doug Barnhold. Both famous Nissan guys. Frank was head of Nissan Motorsports. Doug built all the bodywork for theses race cars, and more.

Our car was owned and driven by Sal Versaggi of Sonoma and our sponsor was Mezzetta. You know, the pepper company. We used to bring cases of their peppers to the track with us. The tall guy standing next to our car is Ralph Kenyon. He is here on Ratsun building a KPGC10 Skyrine.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports

Status update:

Picked up some parts today for the KA swap. Seller was beyond generous and hooked it up with some extra parts he had in his shop. Still need to give it all a once over and see what needs what and planning on doing the egr delete. Anyone know if that gasket kit is any good? We will probably go with a diff head gasket but wondering if any feedback on that company.

Picked up:

5 speed trans

2 heads

Distributor

ECU

Intake manifold

Oil pan/pickup

Clutch (probably get a new one)

ARP Head bolts

Ignition coil

misc bolts 

RAGIZzc.jpg