Father/Son 77 Datsun 620 KC Build

RustedRails

Greetings all,

After lurking on the site for a few months now seeing all of the great projects and information, I had the opportunity to pick up a 77 620 KC as a graduation gift for my son. We both love Datsun trucks and things fell into place for us to pick one up today on 6/20 of all days! My first car way back when was a “project” car where I learned so much from my older brother who guided me through the build process. I am so thankful for that hands on experience and hope to do the same with my son. I have a few pics I’ll post once I have the ability to. Looking forward to our journey and will definitely be leaning on this community for guidance. 

Cheers!

Bryan

syBGK2A.jpg

JIf1vEl.jpg

4rF61qq.jpg

G4GOxko.jpg

Az66cR6.jpg

59llA5n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Draker said:

You mean, 6/20/20 👍 got the month day and year right. Perfect! 

now how about a pic or two? Or 6.. or 20.

Thanks! We were laughing about that on the way home from picking it up! Just edited and added aa few I grabbed today. More to come!

• Like 1

I've always liked the 620s, but never owned one. My brother had one, a ton of friends have had them, I've built many motors and transmissions for them, but what's always kept me away is the emissions.  Also, the front suspension sucks. The trucks that came with the good suspension and balljoints, plus the extra cab, need to be emissions tested. The trucks that are old enough to be exempt from testing have shitty suspension, drum brakes and no extra cab. The definition of conundrum.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I've always liked the 620s, but never owned one. My brother had one, a ton of friends have had them, I've built many motors and transmissions for them, but what's always kept me away is the emissions.  Also, the front suspension sucks. The trucks that came with the good suspension and balljoints, plus the extra cab, need to be emissions tested. The trucks that are old enough to be exempt from testing have shitty suspension, drum brakes and no extra cab. The definition of conundrum.

Thanks for the input @Stoffregen MotorsportsSome valid points! Our “plan” is to take it down to the frame, convert to ball joints/disk breaks, possible coilovers up front, convert to disk rear and potential suspension upgrade as well. From what we’ve read that should help with the suspension issues. 

Now emissions- we moved to Asheville, NC a few years ago from Miami and our county here definitely has emissions unlike Miami. So thoughts- if we do the KA swap along with proper exhaust etc, I was under the impression emissions shouldn’t be an issue? I’ve read the standard L20B that we have currently comes with a lot of smog components which I can see in the engine bay and I really didn’t want to mess with that. As much as I want to have a nice blend of stock vs customization, we think the motor could do with an upgrade. 

Since we have to do emissions anyway, would a KA swap do better on the emissions tests? (Emissions isn’t the primary reason we are leaning toward the swap lol) Fairly new territory for us. 

Planned on getting the interior taken apart today but the rain had other ideas. Even though there's not much left, aside from the seat belts, some trim pieces and the dash, we were trying to clean up the floor pan to see what kind of rust we have going, the overall condition of the body mounts and how much we will need to replace. Unfortunately as stated previously, started raining shortly after and has been on and off all day. Went and got a canopy so we can work in the rain if needed but mainly for some shade.  Also spent some time cleaning the garage a bit so we can eventually pull it in and work in there. Here's a few shots of the L20B how it sits and my son turning some bolts for the first time. I know it doesn't seem like much....but the longest journey starts with the first step.

Air filter just sitting on the carb not attached.

YbU4OHY.jpg

0x1grLU.jpg

Taking off the seat belt assembly

tmi53M1.jpg

DbY54r0.jpg

• Like 3

How excited is he to be working on it? I would be super stoked!!

My dad had a 73 620 in that gold color. It was his daily driver from around 1995 until he passed away in 2018. My brother has the truck now. I would have taken it, but he moved to Utah around 2010 and the salt over there really did a number on it.

Looks like a great project! You still see these running around on the road here in the NW. So if you are looking for parts check up here.

• Like 1

@Draker Hell yeah he's excited! I think he's going to end up making an account on here to join in on the posting and questions etc. He's been lurking also checking build threads and pics for ideas on what he wants to do with it.

Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing and the truck not doing well in Utah 😞 

We found a few prospects in the NW but it seemed like getting it shipped here negated some lower prices. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the classifieds section/ebay/offerup/letgo/fb market place etc lol. I usually change the search locations just to see what's out there. 

2 minutes ago, RustedRails said:

@Draker Hell yeah he's excited! I think he's going to end up making an account on here to join in on the posting and questions etc. He's been lurking also checking build threads and pics for ideas on what he wants to do with it.

Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing and the truck not doing well in Utah 😞 

We found a few prospects in the NW but it seemed like getting it shipped here negated some lower prices. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the classifieds section/ebay/offerup/letgo/fb market place etc lol. I usually change the search locations just to see what's out there. 

If you are near a greyhound station, that's an affordable way to get larger parts shipped. Also fastenal will ship, but never tried it.

Edited by Draker
  • Like 1

@RustedRails - if you plan an engine swap that needs to pass emissions, the most effective way to get it done is to buy a donor vehicle. The donor will have all the components you will need for a legal swap. You will need every component that makes it run, plus a lot of the wiring and yes, the fuel tank. I don't know if you can bolt up a D21 fuel tank in the 620, but I like to use the donor tank for its pieces. The EFI pump, vapor return ports, etc all get cut off the donor tank and welded onto the vehicle's original tank.

It is possible to piece together all the parts required for a legal swap, but the donor vehicle is like a road map, helping you find the way.

Here's how I did a tank for a 3RZ Toyota swap

Fuel_Tank_Small_015_zpsd5aa1684.jpg
Fuel_Tank_Small_012_zpsf214765d.jpg
Fuel_Tank_Small_011_zpscba4c650.jpg
Fuel_Tank_Small_010_zpsd495848e.jpg

• Like 2

@Stoffregen Motorsports, I see what you mean about grafting the ports and using the components on the old tank...great idea! I really thought I had done my due diligence on the whole swap idea. Now that we have emissions to worry about....this might kinda push us to rebuild the L20b that's in there now. As much as I'd like to add a little more hp, there is definitely a budgetary constraint to a certain extent. I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew as his mentor in this process. I'm good with vehicles but not sure if I'm "heart transplant" ready if you know what I mean. ahh....decisions decisions...

Thanks for taking time to share that knowledge. We have some time before making that decision but at least we are more informed about it. 

• Like 1

Worked a little more on some interior items today between rain showers. Got the center console out and did a little more inspection on the floor pan situation. More to come on that tomorrow. 

Went back out tonight and popped the hood to take a look at the motor. A lot of hoses missing, things not connected etc. Here's a few pics.

Hhzjhzj.jpg

BWWnWbi.jpg

2BkDBIe.jpg

1AL5fTM.jpg

mchepGU.jpg

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I don't know if you can bolt up a D21 fuel tank in the 620, but I like to use the donor tank for its pieces.

The 620 tank is mounted to the underside of the box, the 720 & D21 tank is mounted to the frame. Pic attached is a 720 frame. 720 tank (& I assume the D21) is larger capacity as well.

IMG_4129b.jpg

• Like 3

hey @banzai510(hainz), things are def not ok lol. there's a lot missing, fuel lines, vacuum hoses etc etc. It was just sitting on the bolt studs the way you see it there. Carb had one hose connected. Def need to start from scratch on this one. Can anyone identify that carb? I don't see any numbers or identifying stamps on it.