RustedRails

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, RustedRails said:

Wow @banzai510(hainz) thanks! Quick google search for the 510/521 carb and found the exact one. Now question is, will this work or should I move towards the factory carb that came with the 620 L20b? 

I think the most common swap is a weber 32/36.

If emissions are a concern where you live, then the stock hitachi is probably your best bet. The one you have would probably work, but you could find a core hitachi for an l20b for next to nothing. Almost everyone tosses them out. I've never tried my hand at rebuilding them. I know @datzenmike has done it. I'd be willing to give it a shot. They are good carbs, when they work right.

• Like 1

I also saw your air injection system appears to be deleted. I'd recommend getting a hand on what rules you need to follow to pass emissions first. Side note, I might be picking up a pretty stock 620. I wouldn't need any of the emissions bits on it. A lot of things gotta go right to make that happen, but if it works out I'd let go of all the emissions stuff.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Draker said:

I also saw your air injection system appears to be deleted. I'd recommend getting a hand on what rules you need to follow to pass emissions first. Side note, I might be picking up a pretty stock 620. I wouldn't need any of the emissions bits on it. A lot of things gotta go right to make that happen, but if it works out I'd let go of all the emissions stuff.

Awesome! Keep me posted. I'm still trying to figure out what was taken out and what was left. Being new to 620's...you don't know what you don't know. Thanks for the heads up!

I figured that carb might've been off a L16. Anyway it won't flow enough for your L20.

While the Weber 32/36 is certainly a good carb, if you have to pass emissions (really on a truck that old??) then source the right Hitachi. It was designed for that application.

Word to the wise - if you're going to rebuild one, photo document the crap outta your disassembly for reference pics. I'm rebuilding mine & thought I had every possible pic I needed only to discover 1 little spring that's not sitting right and I've just spent the past hour plus trying to get it right. Of course it's not really shown in the manual parts diagram...

You can delete the pics after but being able to look at them while you're putting it back together is golden.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

North Carolina? Emissions?

I just put a Weber 32/36 DGV 5a(MANUAL CHOKE)

WHATS BAD WITH THE STOCK ONE?

yeah, that's what I said. Apparently the county I live in still does the emissions test. Spoke to some people when I was getting it done and a lot of folks register their cars in other places to avoid it. Looks like the "stock one" that was on here isn't the stock one that came with the engine. 

34 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

I figured that carb might've been off a L16. Anyway it won't flow enough for your L20.

While the Weber 32/36 is certainly a good carb, if you have to pass emissions (really on a truck that old??) then source the right Hitachi. It was designed for that application.

Word to the wise - if you're going to rebuild one, photo document the crap outta your disassembly for reference pics. I'm rebuilding mine & thought I had every possible pic I needed only to discover 1 little spring that's not sitting right and I've just spent the past hour plus trying to get it right. Of course it's not really shown in the manual parts diagram...

You can delete the pics after but being able to look at them while you're putting it back together is golden.

Thanks for the tips on the pictures. I usually take a ton of pics and have here so far. The only issue here is that the engine wasn't in working order when I got it so while I'm taking a bunch of pics, doesn't mean that it's right. There's a ton of stuff missing etc. I ordered a "How To Rebuild Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine" from here https://www.datsun-garage.com/collections/datsun-620-1972-1980/products/how-to-rebuild-your-nissan-datsun-ohc-engine

Hoping that will give me a little more info that I need. That along with the other resources pinned at the top of the 620 page. 

So I feel like an idiot now.....I just visited the NC emissions site and yes...in fact...."Exemptions include: Vehicles that are 20 years old or older."

That takes a lot of stress off my mind lol. Lesson learned....I was told by a neighbor who's been here a while and what I thought was a reliable source that it would need an emissions test...derp. So sorry to waste everyone's time here but thankful for the feedback to direct me to look it up. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, RustedRails said:

So I feel like an idiot now.....I just visited the NC emissions site and yes...in fact...."Exemptions include: Vehicles that are 20 years old or older."

That takes a lot of stress off my mind lol. Lesson learned....I was told by a neighbor who's been here a while and what I thought was a reliable source that it would need an emissions test...derp. So sorry to waste everyone's time here but thankful for the feedback to direct me to look it up. 

Ok well that’s good news. Just buy a Weber 32/36 with an adapter to fit the L20b intake.

Beware of knock offs. 

• Like 1

You got that right @EDM620!

On a separate note, found these 8 spokes off of a parted out 94 D21 on CL today and can pick them up for 90 bucks. Right now we have a mixed bag of rims and tires that came on the truck. Between the passenger rear brake being seized up/stuck and the passenger rear tire pressing on the leaf spring (wrong offset and tire combo)...it doesn't move easily haha.

I looked at a few Nissan bolt pattern guides and from what I can tell, these are 6x5.5 which is the same as 6x139.7. Think I'll pick these up tomorrow so we can actually roll it around and into the garage. 

H0XjWZf.jpg

• Like 2

Got a few things done today. Picked up the wheels and tires, now they all match and aside from the rusted passenger rear brake, will roll freely in and out of the garage. Also took some time and cleaned up the windows with a blade and some windex. They are in pretty good shape. Will start working on that drum break so we can actually move it as needed. Will probably work on removing the bed this weekend. 

D0fVdnJ.jpg

zuBeW97.jpg

eRDAu37.jpg

• Like 1

Thankfully Nissan is still using the same bolt pattern today, so wheels from a Frontier or Armada will fit. Catch is that the wheel studs on your truck simply not long enough for anything other than steel wheels, so you'd have to press in new studs in order to run alloy wheels. These are 18" Armada wheels on my truck that originally was 14" - makes it look like I have no brakes!

IMG_4879.JPG

• Like 2

@EDM620 I gotcha. Good to know...they didn't look crazy short when he swapped the rims but they were also for the most part flat at the hub. I think the plan is to upgrade to D21 disc up front so those should have longer bolts on the hubs right? 

Edited by RustedRails

Should be. Check on RockAuto site for replacements and you'll probably be provided with the length. Watch the thread pitch and stud diameter.

Use this code: 142986032125786538 and save 5% - good until Aug. 23. Put the code into the "how did you hear about us" box and the 5% will be taken off.

I'm posting my old wheels (720 steels & 620 factory alloys) onto the classifieds shortly.

• Like 1
On 6/23/2020 at 12:08 PM, RustedRails said:

Awesome. Engine swap begins!

• Like 2

@Stoffregen Motorsports read my mind lol. The hunt for a KA is added to the todo list. He’s still trying to find a job though so it might be tear down mode for a while until he can start saving. He wants to take it on a road trip eventually down to Miami to see his buddies. That gets me nervous...gonna have to make sure  we go through everything. 

• Like 1