Father/Son 77 Datsun 620 KC Build

RustedRails

***Warning - Pic heavy post**** Was able to finish the fuel cell cradle and make the mounts for it using M10 rivnuts in 1/8" angle iron. Here's some progress pics. Please keep in mind, this is my first time fabricating something like this. I'm overall happy about how it came out but I did realize after that I won't be able to remove my leaf spring shackles without dropping the cradle/fuel cell so in the future if I have to replace bushings...I'll have to drop it. Ooops....problem for future Bryan. Next up, new brake/gas lines!

Here's the top made from 1x1 that will be bolted into two sections of angle iron I'll weld onto the rear cross member from above and another I'll add behind the shock bar.

kTK6lua.jpg

2kc7FYt.jpg

0GHzRQK.jpg

Corners all welded up.

KrO40e9.jpg

Making the vertical supports from these 1/8" flat stock

1gEGtOV.jpg

Cut down to equal pieces

wSCrFAB.jpg

Front and sides tacked in

FAk39S6.jpg

Test fitting the tank for height

9Mt5LOK.jpg

3lkVklK.jpg

Top bar tacked in for measuring

IS6gqan.jpg

dagmpkH.jpg

6yJ9cKZ.jpg

Welded up all the way around

yxACsuD.jpg

Here's the angle iron I was talking about that will be welded to the rear most cross member. I drilled holes through the 1x1 so the bolts fit through to the rivnuts from underneath. That way I can access without removing the bed.

HbK6bOp.jpg

efBFjXN.jpg

I didn't weld in the rear cross member yet because I knew I wanted to add this and welding it in this position is a hell of a lot easier for a novice than after it's on the truck. Here's the angle iron fitment.

p5KvZ23.jpg

Gave myself a little room to put some beads down.

r4HKgAZ.jpg

Topside welded in (was having issues with my gas regulator on one of those welds so had a stop start situation that left a booger....)

mDLrOTH.jpg

MdFuXhk.jpg

Bottom side welded

t7GoLHi.jpg

Second bracket I mentioned in the beginning, same angle iron with m10 rivnuts installed.

C4dcuiy.jpg

View of both brackets that the cradle will mount to.

yHuIUbU.jpg

And here's the final result with the cradle installed....

UIawNDT.jpg

UIawNDT.jpg

WqpQCYT.jpg

And now with the cell in the cradle

fssVvo5.jpg

Z1KWttX.jpg

CuxfV0g.jpg

Edited by RustedRails
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That looks really nice. Total overkill, but this is fuel we're talking about.

The only thing I might change is the nut-serts. After all that welding, why not just weld in some steel nuts? Nut-serts tend to loose their grip with use and will eventually spin.

Thanks man, absolute overkill lol. I wanted to do something different and it's practice on all the fabbing skills since I'm still pretty new at this. Great suggestion, didn't know that about the rivnuts over time. I'm hoping I don't have to drop the tank too often, but I def would feel better about some welded on some steel nuts.

thanks @EDM620 and @Stoffregen Motorsports I'll add it to the to-do list. I started searching, are zinc coated steel nuts appropriate? Don't see too many raw steel nuts I guess for corrosion. I could sand them down. Going to end up media blasting everything and painting but wondering about the welding part.

Edited by RustedRails
  • Like 1

Zinc coated steel is good. Another option (a bit more work) is to make "captive" nuts which can be done a few different ways. The bonus to a captive nut (aka captive nut plate) is they allow for misalignment in mounting which can be a real blessing when you're trying to mount up and something is just a bit off.

captive nut plate - Google Search

I like this style myself, you can weld the cover into place, plus you can fab your own.

captive nuts - Google Search

captive nuts - Google Search

An example you have on the truck is how the box is bolted up. Captive bolts in that case but you can see how they allow you to loosely fit up then tighten after everything is perfectly aligned.

• Like 2

@EDM620 Damn.....here's to another rabbit hole hahaha. Thanks for those suggestions, I like the idea of having some adjustment since I'm not in a machine shop and am using my ok measuring skills to match everything up. I actually drilled out the bolt holes in the 1x1 a little larger than I needed on accident. Not by much but each one has some wiggle room so I can start each bolt with a few threads and it adjusts as I tighten them. I added some thick washers to help with the grip. Also why I put 4 on each side,  to distribute the clamping force.