3 hours ago, paradime said:

It was an anecdotal statement making a joke about the growing number of sexually displaced adolescents today.

I'm a Client Centered Psychodynamic therapist, so my roll is to be the Friday to the client's Dr. Livingston. I assist them in discovering who they really are, and why they hate their parents. Unresolved issues stemming from making the transition from child to adult are often the root cause of anxiety, and depression disorders.

For millennia, societies have helped adolescents join the community of adults via some type of initiation process, usually involving mystical/spiritual knowledge, practical hunting/gathering knowledge, and exploration of self identity. To our detriment, modern societies basically enable kids in figuring it out for themselves. Today, parents hold fewer and fewer boundaries than the previous generation who are overcompensating for their own Mommy Daddy issues. It's a vicious tornado of dysfunction, and these days it's the rare parent who breaks the cycle.

I'm glad someone is looking into it. With few exceptions, more than nuclear exchange with Russia, China, S. Korea, more than the next great depression, I fear the youth. The lack of boundaries, you mention, provides no direct opponent, to empty their rage. Rage is rarely denied satisfaction, doubly so, in a society abhorring confrontation. Rage then festers, the infection spiders from the initial instigator, carrying the disease to an entire "them''. Once them are deemed corrupted and forced to rot, rage attacks the foundations of society, the structure from where it came. If like a virus, the goal of these tantrum wielding, power coveting, pseudo despots, was total destruction, as a channel to rebirth, perhaps they could rise to some level of legitimacy. But, I see nothing, but children without structure, raised by parents, raised without structure. Parents, now fearful of structure and intent of removing it, from the schools, from the military, the criminal justice system, from the country. It is stupid, short sighted, and unworthy of respect. Your appeal to Newton, in an earlier post, has merit and societal operation in accordance, with this concept, I do not discount. Here is where my fear resides, fundamentalism, fascism, Communism, all provide structure, inclusion and meaning. The upcoming Newtonian societal course correction will be a bitch.  

Edited by frankendat
  • Like 1
  • Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure why structure seems to be attacked as a bad thing in the parenting world. In certain communities there is zero structure. Parents don't marry first and it becomes a endless cycle of that community killing each other. Listen to the Elvis song about the ghetto from the 70s? What's changed? I grew up with knowing that if I got out of line my Mother had the option of the leather belt, yardstick or long handled wooden spoon. Soap if it was foul language. I didn't get any of this is if I didn't "earn it" first. Dad was strong so all he needed was an open hand. Anyways I learned to behave with "structure" and grew up to be a productive citizen. Strangely my brother growing up the same way was brainwashed to the no spanking and his kids were little shits.  They are getting older now and since he travels a lot for work he compensates by spoiling them. I started working in a restaurant at 14 earning my first real paycheck. These kids are at this age now and there is no way they have the skills or any kind of drive to do anything other than whine about how he needs to give them more money. In one generation it went from teaching how to take care of yourself to how long can we make them a dependent. Every generation complains about the youth of the next so maybe I am becoming curmudgeonly but these kids will be in for some hard lessons in life without the moral compass or work ethic engrained early on. 

• Like 6
11 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Not sure why structure seems to be attacked as a bad thing in the parenting world. In certain communities there is zero structure. Parents don't marry first and it becomes a endless cycle of that community killing each other. Listen to the Elvis song about the ghetto from the 70s? What's changed? I grew up with knowing that if I got out of line my Mother had the option of the leather belt, yardstick or long handled wooden spoon. Soap if it was foul language. I didn't get any of this is if I didn't "earn it" first. Dad was strong so all he needed was an open hand. Anyways I learned to behave with "structure" and grew up to be a productive citizen. Strangely my brother growing up the same way was brainwashed to the no spanking and his kids were little shits.  They are getting older now and since he travels a lot for work he compensates by spoiling them. I started working in a restaurant at 14 earning my first real paycheck. These kids are at this age now and there is no way they have the skills or any kind of drive to do anything other than whine about how he needs to give them more money. In one generation it went from teaching how to take care of yourself to how long can we make them a dependent. Every generation complains about the youth of the next so maybe I am becoming curmudgeonly but these kids will be in for some hard lessons in life without the moral compass or work ethic engrained early on. 

You're absolutely correct.You could also throw in the internet and social media as causes for unproductive kids with lazy and entitled attitudes.

• Like 3

There are many valid concerns being mentioned here about today's youth, but it's counter productive, even dangerous to conflate one thing with the other, or assign a simple cause and effect answer to highly complex social problems. With the support of their MSNM corporate propagandist, this over simplified philosophic 3 card monty is the subterfuge being used by global power hunger games politics. I believe it's what lulled free thinking hard working Americans into economic slavery. We accept the illusion (aka new normal) of scarcity, while more than 90% of the wealth our efforts created is being held in the 0.5%'s pocket. In fact, this ever tightening have and have not disparity has lead honest hard working folks down some pretty dark thought's about their own self worth. 

With both parent's having to work overtime in order to raze a family these days, kids are getting less of the parental attention they need to learn "mystical/spiritual knowledge, practical hunting/gathering knowledge, and exploration of self identity." Children hunger for safe boundaries to explore the world without getting injured. Like John510 said about the internet and anti-social media literally razing kids today, it's no shock they are pissed off F you gender fluid rioters with poor insight, limited social awareness and an egocentric sense of responsibility. In my experience, this gen like every gen before them, just want to be seen, and heard rather than judged for not being who we think they should. Like everyone else, they want to feel worthy and accepted with ought becoming their parents who don't see or hear them. We don't have to support or even understand WTF they're thinking, but we better figure out a way to see that these kids are the same angry confused children we were back in the day. They just have 100X more options to rebel than we did. The real danger is excluding them from joining our "mature responsible" community of adults.

While trying to stay above capitalism's proletarian fish net, I focus my attention on the socioeconomic pressures the drive change in moral values and social behavior. My impression is, our post industrial/technological/service oriented global economy is outgrowing its worn out mythologies. Take a deep wiff and you can smell the next super capitalist revolutionary scam a-brew'n. More now than ever, in order to see the warlock ghost in the machine, you need to stop buying into the R vs L puppet show, and follow the $. 

Edited by paradime
  • Like 4
Craziest Trigger Warning Yet Tied to ‘Jackass’ Reruns
Paramount+ uncorks a whopper of a label for the franchise's classic episodes

Everything old is new again … like warning labels on pop culture fare.

In the late 1980s the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC) waged war against mature music, demanding labels on songs by Twisted Sister, Prince, Madonna and more.

A curious trio of singers – Frank Zappa, John Denver and Dee Snider – decamped to Capitol Hill to defend music from Tipper Gore, the PMRC’s front person

In recent years, the woke revolution inspired outlets to bring back warning labels to protect us from the past. HBO Max slapped such a label on “Gone With the Wind.” Disney+ did something similar for older animated films like “Peter Pan” and “Dumbo.”

Now, even smoking characters spark parental guidance notes.

Paramount+ may have ushered in a new chapter in the trigger warning front. The streaming platform added “fresh” content to its lineup Feb. 10, including episodes of MTV’s “Jackass.”

The MTV series followed a rowdy band of pranksters, notably Johnny Knoxville, as they performed outrageous stunts and button-pushing shtick.

Think extreme-extreme sports.

The show isn’t from the golden age of TV. It aired from 2000 to 2007 and sparked a film franchise that continued this year via “Jackass Forever.”

The “Jackass” franchise is one that screams for a warning label, and even First Amendment purists may see the logic behind them. The participants endure extreme pain and perform stunts that could hurt, or kill, amateurs attempting them at home.

Yet that isn’t the focus of the latest warning label campaign, though.

Film critic Mike McGranaghan shared a still taken from Paramount+ seconds before the start of a “Jackass” rerun.

“Outdated social norms?”

The show (and films) could be slammed as toxic masculinity run wild, perhaps. Or, it’s a white patriarchy moment since most of the performers are Caucasian.

What else could get this warning label? How about almost everything from the pop culture past? Social norms change over time. It’s natural. What’s acceptable today will be considered dated in a decade … or less. It might even be dubbed “problematic,” assuming Cancel Culture continues on its current trajectory.

Even the act of bringing a girl flowers could be considered inappropriate in select circles now.

So who decides what social norms are still acceptable? Paramount+? Other content platforms? And what happens next?

Craziest Trigger Warning Yet Tied to 'Jackass' Reruns

Everything old is new again ... like warning labels on pop culture fare. In the late 1980s the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC) waged war against mature music, demanding labels on songs by Twisted Sister, Prince, Madonna and more. A curious trio of singers - Frank Zappa, John Denver and Dee...
www.hollywoodintoto.com
2 hours ago, paradime said:

There are many valid concerns being mentioned here about today's youth, but it's counter productive, even dangerous to conflate one thing with the other, or assign a simple cause and effect to highly complex social pressures. This over simplified philosophic 3 card monty is the subterfuge being used by global power hunger games politics with the the support of their MSNM corporate propaganda. I believe this is what lulled free thinking hard working Americans into economic slavery. We accept the illusion (aka new normal) of scarcity, while more than 90% of the wealth our efforts created being held in the 0.5%'s pocket. In fact, this ever tightening have and have not disparity has led honest hard working folks down some pretty dark thought's about their sense of self worth. 

With both parent's having to work overtime in order to raze a family these days, kids are getting less of the parental attention they need to learn "mystical/spiritual knowledge, practical hunting/gathering knowledge, and exploration of self identity." Children hunger for safe boundaries to explore the world without getting injured. Like John510 said about the internet and anti-social media literally razing kids today, it's no shock they are pissed off F you gender fluid rioters with poor insight, limited social awareness or sense of responsibility. In my experience, these kids like every generation before them, just want to be seen, and heard rather than judged for being who they think they are, or should be in order to be accepted. We don't have to support or even understand WTF they're thinking, but we better figure out a way to see that these kids are the same angry confused children we were back in the day. They just have 100X more options to rebel than we did. The real danger is excluding them from joining our "mature responsible" community of adults.

While trying to stay above capitalism's proletarian fish net, I focus my attention on these sociological pressures. My impression is, our post industrial/technological/service oriented global economy is outgrowing its worn out mythologies. Take a deep wiff and you can smell the next super capitalist revolutionary scam brewing. More now than ever, in order to see the warlock ghost in the machine, you need to stop buying into the R vs L puppet show, and follow the $. 

I am not sure if I buy into the economic slavery. Generally this may be simplifying things a bit but you get out of life what you put into it. If you spend your entire career as a secretary and complain about life not giving you more it's because you didn't put more into it. Yep its difficult to do, but to do well ain't easy. Night school, trades school whatever but you need to keep investing in yourself and more importantly make yourself harder to replace. Surgeons make a shitload of money because of all the years of education it takes to reach that point and they are hard to replace. Drive a truck? Get hazardous, oversize, whatever certs there are in the trucking world and make more money. Tried to get a Plummer lately? You don't need college but if you have a plumbing buisness now you own a money press. Paradime you said you are going out on your own I am guessing you will be doing better than working for someone else and you deserve it for taking the risk. I am not religious but even the bible says "God helps those that help themselves" or something like that. Even God knows he needs some earners in the church because 10% of nothing is nothing! 

• Like 6

Sorry BW I edited my post before noticing you quoted it.

Yes, you make a good point about hard work and life long learning, and it's true that anyone has the chance to make their own fortune, but like the Beatles song goes, "If you want to live with the folks on the hill, first you must learn to smile as you kill" If we're keeping it real though, are the robber baron 0.5% billionaire's children smarter and working 99.5% harder than the rest of us?

Back in the day, my old neighborhood was filled with skilled blue collar workers from the aeronautic/space industries at the bottom of the hill. Now even if robotics hadn't taken their jobs, blue collar folk like my Dad was back then could never afford to raze a family in our home half way up the hill today.

As you know, things like intelligence, ambition, prosperity, and employment opportunity are not a constant in this world. When I started working in Commercial Photography the day rate in SF was $3,000+ and $900+ for editorial work. Ny was another 30-40% higher. After the .com bubble popped, the commercial day rate dropped to $750 and $300 editorial if you could find work. As a Design Build Contractor during the early 2000s I was billing myself out at $120+ an hour until the entire economic bubble popped. Today the price to earnings ratios and private/institutional equity in the stock market are as inflated as 2001 and 2008. Google already has AI that will likely make my profession obsolete one day. Just as the industrial revolution displaced millions of skilled and unskilled laborers a hundred years ago, it's just as likely that AI and robotics will soon displace highly skilled labor such as plumbers, truck drivers, and even surgeons. No amount of ambition, hard work, or education will protect against changing macro economic pressures. And I still say your best bet for survival is not relying on anti-social media, or the news propaganda puppet show for economic information.

• Like 4

You are an example of what I was saying. You have reinvented yourself multiple times and have been successful at it. The one thing constant in life is change. I realize AI is coming and coming extra fast in the medical field but for a long time ahead there will still be plenty of opportunity for those that can fix or build things. There are hurdles to a good income and not tackling these it what sets people apart income wise. My problem is people blaming others for thier own lack of success. Personal demons like alcoholism or drugs pretty much guarantee a life of poverty. As is out of wedlock children whatever race you belong to That being said I know plenty of alcoholics that do well once a good income has been established but the degrees or certificates have to come first. As far as the .5% is concerned I don't bother worrying about them. I will never be in their world or Visa versa. Your happiness is your own responsibility and some folks revel in misery also, it's their hobby. Bottom line for Me is My Wife and I are happy and we have enough not only for ourselves but to be able to share a little for causes or people we care about.

• Like 4

Never cared for school, was glad when it was over. Damn little I learned was of use to me at work. Most if not all can be learned on the job. Had no plans or ambition and bumbled from job to job till nearly 40. Longest employment was 5 years, shortest, less than a week raising circus tents and taking them down. Work was just something that paid for the beer, there was little satisfaction and when fed up I moved on when I could. I did learn a lot and experience a large cross section of life. Then by accident I found something I liked doing and pursued it. Twenty-seven years later I had had a career. Best of all I was happy! To find your niche and be happy and know it is the greatest satisfaction there is. So glad I didn't beat my head against a wall trying to be something I really wasn't. Follow your bliss. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Never cared for school, was glad when it was over. Damn little I learned was of use to me at work. Most if not all can be learned on the job. Had no plans or ambition and bumbled from job to job till nearly 40. Longest employment was 5 years, shortest, less than a week raising circus tents and taking them down. Work was just something that paid for the beer, there was little satisfaction and when fed up I moved on when I could. I did learn a lot and experience a large cross section of life. Then by accident I found something I liked doing and pursued it. Twenty-seven years later I had had a career. Best of all I was happy! To find your niche and be happy and know it is the greatest satisfaction there is. So glad I didn't beat my head against a wall trying to be something I really wasn't. Follow your bliss. 

I feel like there are 3 categories. One, you discover very early in life a passion/dream/goal with a straightforward path to pursue and the rest is history. Two, by either family, friends, or just dumb luck association you fall into something you don't abhor that turns out to be lucrative. Or three, you never had a passion for anything particularly lucrative and never fell into anything by dumb luck, so you spend the rest of your life struggling to balance work/income/miserableness...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

I feel like there are 3 categories. One, you discover very early in life a passion/dream/goal with a straightforward path to pursue and the rest is history. Two, by either family, friends, or just dumb luck association you fall into something you don't abhor that turns out to be lucrative. Or three, you never had a passion for anything particularly lucrative and never fell into anything by dumb luck, so you spend the rest of your life struggling to balance work/income/miserableness...

Which category do you put yourself in?

1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

1/   Passion for something is no guarantee of success or happiness. $500k in student loans to become something you really want but turns out you are mediocre at best but not for lack of trying. You are in a financial dead end can't afford to try and change. Home, kids education and trophy wife expenses are a constant grind. If not successful, probably not much different from a 3 for  work/income/miserableness.

2/  Probably the least amount of remorse at the end of your life.

3/  At least your dreams weren't crushed or never realized because you never had any. Might be remorseful but probably can't summon up the effort.

I think I started out as a 3/ and then gravitated to a 2/ before 40 but also discovered a passion for something so some elements of a 1/.

Everything is relative. A rich person can't be more happy than a poor person.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

You are an example of what I was saying. You have reinvented yourself multiple times and have been successful at it. The one thing constant in life is change. I realize AI is coming and coming extra fast in the medical field but for a long time ahead there will still be plenty of opportunity for those that can fix or build things. There are hurdles to a good income and not tackling these it what sets people apart income wise. My problem is people blaming others for thier own lack of success. Personal demons like alcoholism or drugs pretty much guarantee a life of poverty. As is out of wedlock children whatever race you belong to That being said I know plenty of alcoholics that do well once a good income has been established but the degrees or certificates have to come first. As far as the .5% is concerned I don't bother worrying about them. I will never be in their world or Visa versa. Your happiness is your own responsibility and some folks revel in misery also, it's their hobby. Bottom line for Me is My Wife and I are happy and we have enough not only for ourselves but to be able to share a little for causes or people we care about.

How would you be if your current livelihood was snatched out from under you and your position was no longer needed across the board? If you're already close enough to retirement, consider the question as though you were still 10-15 years behind retirement.

BTW, paradime...raze is what you do when you burn down a village 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

Which category do you put yourself in?

I am my own boss now Nanner 😏 And Mike, a rich person can't afford to be happy.

For me, all of the above at one time or another in my life. 

It's a completely different conversation if we're shifting the focus to finding happiness though, because that's one thing money can't buy. I don't believe we are defined by our "success", but by our struggle. Besides pivoting my career due to macro economic pressure, my choices have been driven more by losing my vision and I'm truly thankful for the opportunity. That being said, since early childhood I've LOVED reinventing my life from time to time. BS and boredom are two things I don't tolerate well.

The greatest skill I learned in grade school was how to work the system to meet my needs. Turns out I wasn't the "stupid lazy" kid I was labeled. I just couldn't relate to most of the crap they wanted me to cram into my head, then regurgitate it onto a piece of paper. Compared to my brothers, I'm not particularly smart, but they would agree, I'm much happier than they are. Something to be said about ignorance. Rather than jumping through hoops to meet educational expectations, I've always had more important things to figure out in my head. I attribute my success in life to other people's low expectations for me. That and I didn't give a flying fart about when the Ottoman Empire fell, or the correct spelling of unnotised. < irony

For me Socrates' "know thyself" has been the key to my happiness. I've wasted very little time trying to be what others told me I should be. Compassion, logical approach to morality, creative freedom, and feeding curiosity are things that came naturally to me. I've tried to use this to the best of my ability in my careers, as a husband, and a father of 2. I've also gotten more support from them than I feel I deserve. When I get off track, Laozi - Lao Tzu's "The more answers I have, the less I understand" brings me back to the moment so I can see what's right in front of me.

My maturity and wisdom has come through life's trial by fire, and in my life I've had the choice to either take the hero's journey, or take the road to ashes. Trust me, I spent my time covered in ashes, but somehow found a way to climb out and clean up. For me, navigating that path has been a case study in Emergence Theory. The right path has opened for me, only when I was ready to receive it. Thankfully I've had the good sense to follow my bliss even when it's F'n scary. My confidence do that has been earned by getting back up over and over again after failing. 

• Like 3