Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bob, why turbo it to make HP? If you Auto-x it, seems like the best option would be an N/A build. That would also eliminate that pesky intercooler

The problem is you really can't build a Miata N/A and get anything. There are no good cams available, that's just not a good option. It's turbo or super charger, that's it.

Do you have room for a rear mount? The pipe from the turbo at the rear of the car to the engine acts as an intercooler. I know everyone will want to jump in with the rear mount hate-speech but I thought I'd throw it out as an option. http://ststurbo.com/ Maybe hit them up for a sponsorship deal.

I thought about that. There is a ton of room under the bed. Under the cab the pipe could run along the frame rails. I was afraid to ask about a rear mount, but that would work for this vehicle, after all it is the only one in the world! ;)

.......and you'd never mounted a 520 truck onto a Miata before either.......and it turned out awesome. I see no reason not to do the turbo. :)

quoted for truth klotz!

Bob, I'm not sure how I hadn't seen your thread before, but yesterday afternoon I stumbled upon it..... 57 pages later and I am left wanting more.

I have a few questions, I live in South Dakota, and would love more information on any upcoming VW day or Datsun day at the track.

I'm doing similar build, but with a 240sx. Rear end is in (similar to yours honestly) and still mapping out the front end, but you've given me plenty to chew on.

Did you ever get a magazine feature on this thing? My buddy and I have an automotive photography business, and I'd love to shoot it. It might take a bit to plan a time to get up there, but it would be very exciting.

Some of our work:

8184140240_571908e19e_c.jpg

7712767478_682c298bd8_c.jpg

6884884689_99ae194e08_b.jpg

And some of our drift day coverage:

7994968329_32638288cd_c.jpg

7722655002_5d0061db31_c.jpg

and a shameless plug for one of my cars lol

48177_453373044709068_30916770_o.jpg

been said, but thanks for the build man!!

Thanks Project Bandwagon !

I will let you know on upcoming VW / Datsun shows at the track. We are planing a Concourse Show in May 2013. I plan to have a Vintage Japanese Corral. We also plan on having Bob Bondurant and Peter Borck at the show. The Datsunville Crew, (James, Victory and Skib) are going to try and make it too! As it gets closer and the date is firmed up, I will post it in the event section.

Your photos are awesome! I'll let you know when the need arises for some photography.

Bob,

Go the rear turbo route. It should be very simple to get 50 hp or so. I am finishing up a project on my VG30 wagon, and with 6-10 lbs of boost the models say I can expect 50 to 75 hp on the 3 liter motor. I have an air to water inter cooler and should be able to boost up to 15 lbs without issue. And I think the install will look cool. The following is a photo of the system before I sent it to my friend over at Polydyn for ceramic coating on the turbine housing and exhaust pipes. I really like the small pipe coming off the waste gate valve turbo1.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a great day at the track yesterday! It was 65 degrees and beautiful! There were several Ratsun folks there and I gave lots of rides in the MX520.

I finally changed the tail lights on the truck. The lights I put on there when I built it were always intended to be temporary. I found a nice set of lights that I like on a '61 Ford truck. I got them mounted today. What do you think? :huh:

newtaillights12-2-12.jpg

newtaillightsfrom61ford.jpg

Here are the old ones . . . :sick:

520187.jpg

• Like 1

WOOOO HOOOOOT ! ! ! ! !

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :P :P :P :P :P :P

200,000 VIEWS ! ! !

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Thanks Everyone!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
photo-thumb-732.jpg?_r=0

What a great thread, you should be proud, this thread/project is one of the few that will ever have a chance of making half a million views, or maybe even a million views someday.

I found this thread before I joined Ratsun, it is not the reason I joined Ratsun, but it is one of the reasons I made my first 521 kingcab, and that is the reason I joined Ratsun.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I like!!!

What to the black ones look like on the 411?   I was thinking the silver was a bit bright for it.

Good question Mike. I'll check this weekend and post up some pics.