620 king cab window gaskets

dat620

I didn't say anything about his standards, or the quality of the product, I just brought up the thought that compared to what we can buy front and rear seals for, the price seems a little high, and the company that is making them for him may be taking advantage of us because we have no other option. If they had a competitor, then the would be dropping the price to something more reasonable, compared to what other glass seals go for. I have no problem with him, he is doing something good for all of us, I just don't like the Idea of the manufacturer taking us just because we have no other options. Just my rant for the week.:rolleyes:

Oh I agree, when they know they are the only ones doing it they are going to have the price a little steep. But if you think about it a lot of things are like that, when they first come out the price can be a little steep. I call that the setup price :lol: but anyways I wasn't saying that yall was saying anything bad at all, I understand where you are coming from. So how is that kc treating you? I know it is living a whole different lifestyle going from the desert to rear end deep snow :D

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first off, no one is taking advantage of anyone, if 39.97 dollars is too much per seal then go find another company that makes a quality product and will have them available as quick as we will have them, also see if they are american made , and come with a liftime warranty, and i will get prices on all the other seals here shortly, and i will post pictures of the set when i get them and install them, if you all think this is bs, i'm sorry, but as stated before, i do not run or own the company makin them,(and i've been at this for about 4 years) and i also do not see any one steppin up to the plate and doin anything about the problem of having no supplier for the seals, and dan thx for the great words, yes he is correct if i am not satisfied with the product i will not give the go ahead to produce them, by the way i have way to much to loose on this deal by sending out faulty or cheaply made product, and i damn sure would not put them on my vehicles, i'm just trying to help out all the others who need it as much as i do, just incase you are wondering how much a mold cost think about it this way, i believe steroid has an idea and his mold is fiberglass for fiberglass, i would say around a 1,000 dollars, now multiplty that by 20, yeah thats correct it cost 20,000 to make the mold(and it's all metal and machined, i know we have a few machinest on here, they can tell ya how much machining precise molds cost) and thats not all, then there is production cost, and product cost, all of which has to be pre paid before work begins, so tell me who is getting ripped off, all i'm trying to do is get something made that all the other manufacturers said there was no interest in. and yes i will probably make a few dollars off the deal when all said and done, i'm only doin it to have a supplier for the things we need, and i can tell you right now, if the other seals do not meet my standards i will not sell them to any one either, but as i said in a previous statement i have the front windshield gasket on my show truck, which was a dailey driver for 7 years(now it has been 12 years) before she got finished, so i stand behind this companies products, and as any one else on this site that knows me can say, they will probably say that i am the stand up guy that dan said i am, i am a christian minister, and i realize that today in this world that does not mean a whole lot to some folks, but i hold that in high regards, because i have to answer to GOD for my actions, and believe me, i do not want his wrath, if anyone has any other questions, or comments please keep them off this board and email me at dat620@hotmail.com sorry and thx , tom :cool:

thx ztrain, and no i do not see a comparision, as z stated, there are many companies makin the front windshield gasket and a few makin the rear gaskets, both reg cab and king kab, but no one is makin the 1/4 glass seals, at least a quality product that is available, i believe that rubberman said(and correct me if i'm wrong) he tried to get some off a website last year and was told they did not know when they would be makin more...cmon peeps no one is trying to rip any one off, and yeah i can probably get the front windshield seals for about 39.95, and they too will have a lifetime warranty, and are american made, so whats all the crap about, to qoute an old phrase, you can not compare oranges to apples, they are fruit but each is differant in their own ways..and each do a differant thing for us, same with gaskets, yea they are made of rubber, and yea they seal out the elements, but can you put a windshield rubber in the place off a 1/4 window seal, yea if you cut and trim and force it in, then will it seal properly ?

please as i stated earlier, if you feel i am , or the company makin the gaskets is rippin you off, then find some one else that will make them and have them ready for you, because i tried several companies before this one stepped up and said ok we will do it, go ahead and try and see if any one will make them or have them for you, that is not crap product..all i am trying to do is offer a quality product at a very reasonable price, and one that i know is going to last and that every one will be satisfied with. so please be patient as it has been alot longer for me to wait(4 years) than any of you, you will be totaly satisfied with the seals when they are done, and as soon as i get the trial 1/4 gaskets in, i will post pictures and let every one see what they look like, thx tom

What some of you are failing to realize is that most of the seals we get these days for our Datsuns is junk from Thailand. Last rear window seal I got for my 510 was this style and split after a couple months. Everyone has been having problems with the imported rubber products. So even though you may be able to get one for $38, is it worth it if the things goes to pot after a year? I would have paid double just so I didn't have to install another window seal. And as for the price of the kc window seals, can you even *find* them anywhere else? I don't think so, so the price is irrelevant anyways.

The price seems reasonable to me as Tom stated this is our only alternative, and I think once we have a tangible product everyone will be happy with the product and all of Tom's hard work and tenacity. Thanks Tom! Jersey.

P.S. I remember a fews years back a company, the name which eludes me at the moment...was selling the seals for the 1/4 glass at a price of $159.99 per set!

The price seems reasonable to me as Tom stated this is our only alternative, and I think once we have a tangible product everyone will be happy with the product and all of Tom's hard work and tenacity. Thanks Tom! Jersey.

P.S. I remember a fews years back a company, the name which eludes me at the moment...was selling the seals for the 1/4 glass at a price of $159.99 per set!

That is what I am saying, $80-$90 bucks for good old American made quality products, let keep our money in our country. Oh Tom When it comes time I will need a windshield and back glass gasket :D

I bought some front and rear seals off of eBay, I don't remember the seller. When I installed the front windshield gasket it fit like crap. The whole windshield was loose and when I put a sprinkler on it to check for leaks and it leaked on the outer part of the gasket between the body and seal AND the inner around the glass. Aesthetically it isn't too bad even after sealing the hell out of it but I still have to install the headliner and it would be easier and cleaner with a quality seal. I'm not going to be able to get the windshield out without destroying the seal. If I had known I wouldn't have removed the old broken windshield and having water leaking all over the interior was not an option.

A quality seal with an actual warranty sounds like a hell of a deal. Price wise, the quarter windows are more than I was hoping for but about what I was expecting. If there were a decent discount for more than one gasket set I would be far more inclined to buy two... money is very tight right now but Ive got a funny feeling that this wont be the last KC I have.

As for wanting pics of the final installed product... no offense to anybody, but I want to see what I'm getting before I pay for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that these things are as nice as I'm hoping for.

I bought some front and rear seals off of eBay, I don't remember the seller. When I installed the front windshield gasket it fit like crap. The whole windshield was loose and when I put a sprinkler on it to check for leaks and it leaked on the outer part of the gasket between the body and seal AND the inner around the glass. Aesthetically it isn't too bad even after sealing the hell out of it but I still have to install the headliner and it would be easier and cleaner with a quality seal. I'm not going to be able to get the windshield out without destroying the seal. If I had known I wouldn't have removed the old broken windshield and having water leaking all over the interior was not an option.

A quality seal with an actual warranty sounds like a hell of a deal. Price wise, the quarter windows are more than I was hoping for but about what I was expecting. If there were a decent discount for more than one gasket set I would be far more inclined to buy two... money is very tight right now but Ive got a funny feeling that this wont be the last KC I have.

As for wanting pics of the final installed product... no offense to anybody, but I want to see what I'm getting before I pay for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that these things are as nice as I'm hoping for.

Some how some one got the idea that I was talking about the import seals. that is not the case, the seals I bought came from a restoration shop in Oregon, and he even has how to pages on his site. The windshield install shows them doing one on an early Mustang, and anyone planning on doing their own install should look it over to get an idea of what they need to do the job right and not break glass or scratch their paint. All his rubber is excelent quallity, I purchased new door seals and rear window seal from him, and have gotten very good product and service from him. Aso if you think about it, some company that supplied the glass shops with seals back in the 70s and 80s, maybe even the 90s might have the original molds laying around, if someone did some research. I'm going to step up and pay the price for the seals, but it still rubs me the wrong way paying double what I paid for my rear window seal. If anyone wants to see the guide on how to install glass, here is his site; http://www.route66re...s.com/Info.html

Later:cool:

Too Intense Restoration.ANd they were between 160 & 180.00. :huh:

. I'm going to step up and pay the price for the seals, but it still rubs me the wrong way paying double what I paid for my rear window seal. Later:cool:

Exactly what part of"Demand dictates price" don't you get?Standard cabs out number KCs about 5 to 1.More units sold = lower price.

believe me i realize how tuff times are, i was laid off(fired) from my job on dec-8-09 and am still unemployed, if i had known or could have seen what was coming i would not have invested what i have done so far in this project, but alas i had no idea so i push forward, as i stated before, i will post the pics as soon as i get the sample set in and installed, if there was any thing i could do about pricing i would, but be for real as the price of everything else goes up, you expect me to sell these seals to you at way over half the cost, why would i try to take advantage of any one, i live to a higher stanard then that, when it is all said and done everyone will be happy and smilin when they get the seals and get them installed, not to rain on your parade, but, the company in oregon you got the seal from, what is their name,and what do you know about them and it is possible i may know them, as i said i have dealt with a lot of differant companies over the past four years, and do you know for a fact that the seal you bought was made in the usa? just asking questions, in the past year have you not noticed the rise in price of daily products you use on a regular basis, milk, gas, food, cigs(if you smoke), and other things, then consider why they have gone up, there have been cost rises in almost everthing, why not the cost of producing rubber products, almost everything made today in the states or elsewhere have had cost increases, so please as you were told earlier , do not try to compare something that was made years ago in large quanities, and is still popular today to something that is not available, and yes i did try to find the guys who made them years ago, and they either did not exsist any more, or the molds were destroyed for one reason or another, so please consider all the facts that are given to you, and please do not take any of this as an attack towards you , but before you say you feel a price is unjust or too much, consider first what may have gone into the production of said product,and if you do not know, ask, i received some very good advice from my mentor and my instrutors over the years both in the military and in the civilian world, there is no such thing as a stupid question when asked, the only stupid question is the one unasked..no disrespect intended or implied, just passing on good advice. so please do not go away with a bad taste in your mouth about the price of the seals,i do not want anyone feeling they were forced to pay more than something was worth, when all things are considered i to am having to pay for something that i wish was less costly, but then again it is like starting a new bussiness, there will always be start up costs... thx tom

Your are correct there dat, it was probably about a year ago when I tried getting the 1/4 rubbers and he actually had one side but the cost was I think around $78 and that was for one side, not the set. I passed on that and thought I could find a full set somewhere and a better price, but of course no luck there. Your price dat is more than fair. As most of you know, on my 620 KC build I used windshield rubber from a 74 VW van, almost a exact match, but of course I had to cut it to fit and also it was obiviously not molded to the curves of the glass, it took me alot of time and effort to get them in and fitting right. Do they do the job? yes, to a point, they keep the glass in and look pretty good, but will they leak? Don't know that yet. Will they be replace with dat's, when the final product is ready? Darn right, they will. Keep the updates comin dat and thanks for your time and effort. I look forward to purchasing a couple sets.

Tom, you didn't read my post too well, I gave the site address for the company in OR, which is Route 66 Restorations, and there seals have a life time warranty, it's quality stuff.:D

OK, now for ZTRAIN, your 5 to 1 doesn't hold up with Route 66 either, their price for the KC rear widow seal is the same as the price for a standard cab $35.99 explain that. What I don't understand is why his supplier doesn't make the seals for the side windows too. You would think that if there is demand enough for the KC rear window seal, then there would be equal demand for the side windows as well. I never had a problem with what Tom is doing, he is doing a great service for us all. I just gave my opinion that I thought the company that is making them might be a little greedy, based on what the pricing is for the other seals. There are others selling Datsun rubber for higher prices than what RT 66 gets, and they don't offer the life time warranty, so there are greedy people out there. I work for one of the many companies that the upper management are getting huge money to run the company into the ground, while screwing their customers, and employees. So I'm sorry that I ruffled feathers, but I'm sick of the rich getting richer on the backs of the blue collar working class in this country. Ilove my country, but I hate where we are headed, if the silent majority don't do something soon we will be just like a 3rd world country, no middle class, just rich and poor. Our children and grandchildren are going to suffer while greedy oil and other exec's are sitting laughing at how we just silently let them bend us over. My .02:wacko:

Tom, you didn't read my post too well, I gave the site address for the company in OR, which is Route 66 Restorations, and there seals have a life time warranty, it's quality stuff.:D

OK, now for ZTRAIN, your 5 to 1 doesn't hold up with Route 66 either, their price for the KC rear widow seal is the same as the price for a standard cab $35.99 explain that. What I don't understand is why his supplier doesn't make the seals for the side windows too. You would think that if there is demand enough for the KC rear window seal, then there would be equal demand for the side windows as well. I never had a problem with what Tom is doing, he is doing a great service for us all. I just gave my opinion that I thought the company that is making them might be a little greedy, based on what the pricing is for the other seals. There are others selling Datsun rubber for higher prices than what RT 66 gets, and they don't offer the life time warranty, so there are greedy people out there. I work for one of the many companies that the upper management are getting huge money to run the company into the ground, while screwing their customers, and employees. So I'm sorry that I ruffled feathers, but I'm sick of the rich getting richer on the backs of the blue collar working class in this country. Ilove my country, but I hate where we are headed, if the silent majority don't do something soon we will be just like a 3rd world country, no middle class, just rich and poor. Our children and grandchildren are going to suffer while greedy oil and other exec's are sitting laughing at how we just silently let them bend us over. My .02:wacko:

Aw buddy you didn't ruffle no ones feathers, all is being said is that no one is making the gaskets. Tom has been dealing with this company for a while now and we have to consider setup, tooling, molds, production and all that good stuff. If enough people bought them well then the price could get a little cheaper down the road. They have to and Tom has to recoup there money, Like I said no feathers ruffled. Honestly I can't wait to see the finished product installed.

• 4 weeks later...

What is going on with the seals? I thought for sure we would be seeing photos of the prototypes by now. Any time frame? I was hopeing to have mine before I go in for surgery and get put out of commision for 2 months or more.:(

i received an email friday, the test set is ready and i should have them within the next week, they are doing final cks and measurements, then off to me for test fitting, as soon as i install them and ck them out, sealability,appearance, wet test, air test, then i will see if ok or not, if good i will take pictures and post, and give the final ok , hang in there, it will be well worth it, this week one of my local desert datsuns members bought the door seals and they are nice, so i can only expect the same for the king kab seals..tom

got the test seals yesterday evening, i will be puttin them in on wed. day, and will hopefully get pictures up thurs, i will ck them for all air, water leaks, and fitment, as i stated before , if i do not like anything they will not be produced(until fixed), i believe all will go well, they fit the glass very good, and look to be a good product, but as stated i will ck out all the things needed... this could be it, and if so i will post my pay pal acct and would need pre payment by all who want them..thx..tom :cool:

well got to install the test set today, and they fit great, i will get pics up later tonite or tommorrow, have to wait for my wife to help me post them..they will go into production next week, fit, finish, seal,all looks great...tom :cool: