620 king cab window gaskets

dat620

Ok Tom so when exactly will I get the windows I guess I dont quite get it. Im not trying to be smart help me understand. I have pre ordered the gaskets from you and now theyre on ebay? and the people who have pre ordered havent recieved theres yet ? Is that right? Let me know Ricky....

From Tom's prior posts, I believe the circumstances here are that he has to have a total of 100 sets presold (or come up with the production cost for the balance of 100 sets "out of pocket") before his vendor/supplier does the first production run of seals (have no idea what the per set cost of production is, but from past involvement in projects of this nature, a good guess would be at least 60-80% of retail, making the production cost for 100 sets somewhere in the area of $5000-$7000).

My recollection is that there was a LOT of enthusiasm for this project on the front end with lots of folks expressing high interest in purchasing sets of seals, but (again, based on prior posts) when it came down to actually sending $$, sales to board members have been somewhat slow to materialize, with the result that Tom's taken to other channels (i.e. e-Bay) to sell enough sets of seals to cover the cost of the initial production run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thx all, yes i was dealing with the family problems first, and you are correct barry, the production cost has to be pre paid,(as i have already covered tooling and molding costs out of pocket) it's a little more then your projection, but you are close, hence havin to sell them pre paid, no they are not on ebay yet, my family problems arose right about the same time, now that all is well i am going to try again, if any one wants to i will take pre orders from all here who have not ordered, but i will be putting them on ebay as of monday the 17th of may..i apoligize for any and all inconvienance to any one, but you must understand what it takes for an individual to undertake this project alone, and the costs of it, no the manufacturer is not being unfair, they to must make sure of thier investment also, they have been in bussiness for over 50+ years and know what they are doing, at 100 sets, i/we will be barely breaking even, i did this solely to get something done that alot of us need but no one was willing to undertake, no i am not profiting from this yet, but maybe as more learn of this project more orders will come, thx to all who are helping by pre ordering, and no you are not getting ripped off, you will get the seals as soon as the pre order stats are filled, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT NO ONE ELSE IS DOING THIS...thx tom

also so every one knows the pre sale is at a total of 20 out of 100, and that is from all 3 sites that i am a member of...had at least 100 sets on ratsun alone last year, what happened...tom

I have noticed alot of back peddling on this site in all shapes. From buying things to social gatherings etc.. Then when people put out cash to do something nice...well you know. Sorry you got stuck with the load Tom..But youll move them on Ebay...

Not sure why no one is pre ordering these...I ordered a set. I was hoping to get that set fitted before ordering another set, but if it will help I can order my second set next fri (after the ebay deadline, unfortunately).

All you Kingcab guys need to get on this. I know for a fact none of the KC's I've seen have had good 1/4 window seals...

I wonder if all the people that flaked on Tom realize how many other people they have screwed by not honoring their commitment. Not just Tom, but the company that tooled up for production, and all of us that stepped up and paid for ours in advance, and now our projects are on hold waiting for the flakes to do what is right. I bought a new headliner, plus windshield and rear window seals, and a new windshield. I already pulled my windows, and old headliner, straightened out my roof and all prepped for paint, but now I have to keep my truck inside till I get my seals so I can finish it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is anxishly waiting for their seals so they can move on to other things that need to be done. So all you guys that said that they would buy the seals, honor your word, and send Tom the money for your seals, like you said you would. It is the right thing to do!:confused::thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

new news...thx to all who have pre ordered, i have made a new arrangement with the manufacturer, they will produce 40 sets(pairs), yes instead of 100 sets they will go with 40 sets, i told them that a lot of people were hesitent on pre ordering because the required amount was so large and so few were ordering, now they have seen the light and ok'ed 40 sets, this will not happen again, but they will run sets of 100 after this, SO PLEASE IF YOU SAID YOU WERE GOING TO ORDER AND DID NOT, DO IT NOW SO THAT WE CAN ALL GET THIS DONE AND BE ABLE TO HAVE SOME THING THAT WE ALL NEED, $90.90 includes the shipping to anywhere in the continental united states, out of the us will require i ck shipping costs, here it is, we have a green light at 40 sets, total pre ordered now is at 25 sets, we only need 15 sets more, come peeps, lets get this ball rolling and make something available now that is not, and probably will not be if we do not get it done...thx to all..tom :D

just a bump, i would really like to get this completed, i know some people are thinking why pre pay, i'll just wait till it's completed and then order, well please do not think that, cause once this 40 set order is done, i may not persue this any farther, and that also means all the other rubber parts that i have posted about, i really do not want to do this, but as it looks i may have no choice, we are finally so close to havin a manufacturer that will work with us a produce pieces we can not obtain else where, and also willing to work with us in quantities needed, and every one jumps off the band wagon, i really do not understand how every ones minds work, should i be charging more for these seals and then maybe they will be worth the effort...i really do not understand, and do not tell me about the economy, im am still unemployed, so i know how tough it is, that is why i'm trying to get this worked out, so that every one doesn't think it is taking too long, or that i'm just doin this to rip people off or take the money and run, thats not what this is about, i'm just steppin up and trying to get some thing done that no one else has even tried to do...trying to make it a little easier for us as datto fans to be able to get the rubber goods that we need and not have to search all over the world to find maybe the last piece ever made...think about the possibilities her...we have more buying power as a group, rather then as individuals...tom

just a bump, i would really like to get this completed, i know some people are thinking why pre pay, i'll just wait till it's completed and then order, well please do not think that, cause once this 40 set order is done, i may not persue this any farther, and that also means all the other rubber parts that i have posted about, i really do not want to do this, but as it looks i may have no choice, we are finally so close to havin a manufacturer that will work with us a produce pieces we can not obtain else where, and also willing to work with us in quantities needed, and every one jumps off the band wagon, i really do not understand how every ones minds work, should i be charging more for these seals and then maybe they will be worth the effort...i really do not understand, and do not tell me about the economy, im am still unemployed, so i know how tough it is, that is why i'm trying to get this worked out, so that every one doesn't think it is taking too long, or that i'm just doin this to rip people off or take the money and run, thats not what this is about, i'm just steppin up and trying to get some thing done that no one else has even tried to do...trying to make it a little easier for us as datto fans to be able to get the rubber goods that we need and not have to search all over the world to find maybe the last piece ever made...think about the possibilities her...we have more buying power as a group, rather then as individuals...tom

Here here, I agree whole heartedly, you guys making excuses in your heads why you can't do this now are making a big mistake. If you wait, you will be out of luck. If you remember from my posts a while back, I wasn't real happy about the price, but I realized that if I didn't pay now, I would not have the seals that I need, so I was one of the first to prepay. You guys had better step up now, or start making plans to weld up your KC windows to keep the weather out! :o

also so every one knows the pre sale is at a total of 20 out of 100, and that is from all 3 sites that i am a member of...had at least 100 sets on ratsun alone last year, what happened...tom

You definately have my sympathy on this project, Tom -

I got involved in trying to get a much simpler rubber window seal component (outer door window scraper/squeegee) made for the 66-76 BMW 1600/2002 series a while ago - got very little interest from manufacturers, despite the fact that it's a very simple, linear "tee" cross-section strip which should be able to be produced in one long extrusion that could be cut to length after the fact.

There's still a need in the '02 world for that piece of rubber - once you get this project put to bed, could you contact me off-line with a contact at your vendor? Despite the headaches, I'd still like to get that squeegee reproduced if possible....

bumpin again, thx all for the support, to those of you who have not ordered, you need to do so, as i am not sure if i will ever follow up with these seals again after these 40 sets are done, and mind you the manufacturer has to wait 2 yrs before they can open market them (due to the contract we have), as i have discussed before, and i doubt 2 yrs from now if the price will be this low, just look at all the differant things that have gone up in price just recently...i will leave it at that for now, there are 28 preorders as of today, again thx to all who are makin this happen, remember once they are done they are done, if i do this again i will more than likely be charging a higher price also, cause the next round will have to be 100 sets as it was originaly...tom

one more time for the bump, we are at 29 pre orders(out of 40 needed), if we can get this done fairly quickly, then every one who ordered will get thier seals faster...thx tom

those of you that have contacted me recently, i have pm'ed you back and have heard nothing back from you, please follow thru with this effort as we all will benefit from it..tom

another bump...just a little update, we are now at 30 sets pre ordered, all we need is 10 more sets and it's done...if you have a king kab you know you are going to need them if you plan on doing any kind of repairs or resto work to it, and the headliner or the body or paint, you will want to put in new seals to make it correct, hit me up and lets get the ball rollin and get these seals done and produced so that we all can benefit from it, just think of completeing your truck with new seals and not old funky ones and hoping they do not leak...nothing looks worse than a fresh ride with crappy lookin parts on it...tom

and a special thank you to all who have ordered the seals, and been very patient in waiting, almost there, hold on just a little longer...thx tom