1973 Datsun PL620 build

sanitys

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could possibly be the U-Joints. Once u lowered it & changed the driveshaft angle it could have put more stress on bad u-joints. Oh by the way, truck looks killer:D Cept 4 that hood:lol:

Thanks. I looked at the U-joints they seemed to look okay...The sound sounds like its its coming from the spline area where the driveshaft connects to the trans, or where the front half of the driveshaft connects to the rear. Ill have to investigate more tomarrow after I re-index.

my red 620 made the same noise after 8 inch drop i had to shim the pinion angle on the rear and change the carrier bearing is usually alot of it also

carrier bearing looks okay. I guess i could try shimming it. My drop block sits flat, anyone know a place that makes them tapered? once its jacked up tomarrow Ill snap some pictures of the angles...

Make sure all of the U bolts are tight 1st. Also get it up high enough & try to wiggle the driveshaft right behind the carrier bearing & check for play. If its bad youll notice the rubber surround damage right away. Looks like it may be resting on the bump stops unless you cut em in half. Dont get me wrong, i like the new stance :D

Make sure all of the U bolts are tight 1st. Also get it up high enough & try to wiggle the driveshaft right behind the carrier bearing & check for play. If its bad youll notice the rubber surround damage right away. Looks like it may be resting on the bump stops unless you cut em in half. Dont get me wrong, i like the new stance :D

Ill make sure to do that tomarrow, thanks. There was about 2 inches if i recall between the bump stops and axle, oh thats measured without the drop on the ground, so it might have been resting, I just took the bump stops off. Looks like there is plenty of travel, and the ride in the rear is ALOT stiffer, Ill measure tomarrow and snap more pictures.

the clunk could be the slip yoke bottoming out against the tranny.. pushing the tranny forward.

my ol gmc i used to have was slammed and had that problem... then i put some normal springs in it and it was fine... that truck killed alot of steady bearings too when it was lowered :P

anyone here running a 1 piece driveshaft? curious if anyone notices a difference.

I vote that the carrier bear HAS to be toast or is at least torn, the extra drop is pushing the driveshaft forward cause the whole driveline to move forward as its driven and it banging into the transmission... I had the exact same sound when I had my truck overloaded with "stuff" and the axle was about an inch off the frame, and my carrier bearing was OK before this now its bushing around it is ripped pretty good.

and btw, this pic scares the SH!T out of me...

DSC01044.jpg

I vote that the carrier bear HAS to be toast or is at least torn, the extra drop is pushing the driveshaft forward cause the whole driveline to move forward as its driven and it banging into the transmission... I had the exact same sound when I had my truck overloaded with "stuff" and the axle was about an inch off the frame, and my carrier bearing was OK before this now its bushing around it is ripped pretty good.

and btw, this pic scares the SH!T out of me...

i didnt notice the jackstands being like that. there was still a jack under the truck as well.

did the front today and fixed the clunking sound. Raised the carrier bearing 1 inch with some square tubing I had laying around. The piece I had wasnt very big so i did it that way.

I cant get the front any lower... There just isnt enough room between the bump stops and the control arms, guess Ill have to do something else with the front end. I recall someone having coilovers I think it was fineline, guess ill go look at his thread. Pictures..

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

Hell ya. Looks great. You can cut the bump stops in half or just take them off. Coils are cool too.

Yeah the front and rear bump stops are removed the front still only has about 2 inches before the lower a-arm hits. I dont have alot of tension on the torsion bars and the front is as loose as an old lady.

she is looking good,doing a good job on that baby.............................:D

Thanks

you can remove the bump stops(w/rubber ) or cut part of the rubber off.

yes sir, they are both removed

damn dude your almost as low as me! and im on 15" rims :lol: i did take off all my bump stops tho and only have 2 leafs in the rear :eek:

hows your down pipe sit? becasue mine is like less then a half and inch from the ground

pic111308_2.jpg

your truck looks lower than mine. Ill take a few measurements tomarrow for you and post pictures.

2eDeYe;96585'']Just get rid of the bumpstops. You'll have to do something about the shocks in the front. They'll be bottoming out and wont last long.

Thats why I was planning on doing something like finelines setup, for around 4 bills you cant go wrong with it.

so did you just go with blocks in the rear and crank the torsion bars in the front and if so what size blocks.

I re-indexed the front torsion bars. The rear has 3 inch blocks and I flipped the #2 leaf upside down and put it on top and repacked the springs. Id say the back has 5-6 inches of drop.

Any problems with clearance on the tires? Hows the turning radius, any rubbing? I might have to go lower... :cool:

Even before I lowered it more the turning radius would ever so slightly rub at full lock. 5mm spacers should take care of that.

Looks good! Where did you get that hood?

the hood came with the truck when I bought it, not sure who the company was that made it.

so i just got a letter from the housing association. Saying no paint/sanding under the carport. Its BS. I clean up all my stuff, and stop when it gets dark at like 6 at night on the days I dont have work. Oh and they mentioned the "white" stains in on the pavement...Thats just from the phosphoric acid drying, ill power wash it tomarrow and it will be fine. They can kiss my ass.

on top of that I more or less live in the ghetto. I pay 1200 a month here vs 2200 a month in my old place, and I never got any letters from the association.

Anyone else have issues like that?

Edited by sanitys

That's ridiculous! At least you're doing it during the day and not tweeking out in the middle of the night! Also, you did just the floor boards correct? You're not taping off the entire truck to shoot paint on it! Do you have a neighbor that you don't get along with that might have ratted on ya? The letter sounds like you can't do it "in the carport" so pull the truck just outside of the carport and work on it. Fuck em. I've had to deal with that shit. If its not an American made "hot rod" its an "eyesore" Now you got me all riled up! I had to get rid of my first truck because of something like this, only it was the city that I got a letter from.

That's ridiculous! At least you're doing it during the day and not tweeking out in the middle of the night! Also, you did just the floor boards correct? You're not taping off the entire truck to shoot paint on it! Do you have a neighbor that you don't get along with that might have ratted on ya? The letter sounds like you can't do it "in the carport" so pull the truck just outside of the carport and work on it. Fuck em. I've had to deal with that shit. If its not an American made "hot rod" its an "eyesore" Now you got me all riled up! I had to get rid of my first truck because of something like this, only it was the city that I got a letter from.

i dont even know the neighbors, and yeah the only paint i did was the floorboards and the seat rails, definately didnt blast the whole truck. Someone had to have complained, the things is, while i was in the house today i heard a grinder/sander going while i was about to leave....wonder if they get complaints, seems like BS to me...

and too top it off some of the neighbors have there carports enclosed in tarps with old cars they work on, my shit looks clean aside from the white residue thats on the pavement that ill be cleaning. clearly some jackass neighbor that could have said something to me before calling the association decided to just call them instead of saying, hey, i work nights can you not grind at noon, or whatever the fuck there complaint was.

oh if i dont clean the white, they are going to charge me 200 bucks so they clean it... (non of the asphault has been sealed in years...i wonder if i seal the drive way of the im RENTING if they will complain its too black"

if they get another complaint i get charged 250 bucks...

Edited by sanitys