1973 Datsun PL620 build

sanitys

argee, and ask PCD about his bungee cord mod for the battery :D

wish it was that easy, they are nazi's here. The only reason i had to goto recon in the first place is to get the vin inspected because its older than 1981, then the guy mentioned all that other stuff. Oh driving 80 miles total for no good reason and being stuck in traffic, its times like this i miss living in michigan, no safety checks of any sort, or recon for that matter

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recon is a bitch man! No question. And they hate military, which makes it even worse. I had a efi/blown small block chevelle with 3" exhaust and 4 wheel disc brakes in Hawaii. The only way I got it registered is by completely avoiding recon.

Originally Posted by dwnshfter viewpost.gif

For the record my 620 has a homemade METAL battery holddown now. Sanitys- bro i feel your frustration. Just play thier game...raise the rear up if need be & install a bumper then get it home & drop it back down. Alot of work yes but it may have to be done this way.

Originally Posted by dwnshfter viewpost.gif

For the record my 620 has a homemade METAL battery holddown now. Sanitys- bro i feel your frustration. Just play thier game...raise the rear up if need be & install a bumper then get it home & drop it back down. Alot of work yes but it may have to be done this way.

i took the blocks off the back before i went there :P. Thats why it had different U-bolts. Found a junked 620 with a bumper that will bolt on, no i just have to weld a new piece of metal in the battery area and pick up another set of u-bolts so i can trim a set, oh and get an alignment, hopefully ill get it all done this week so i can get its registered

got the truck all ready to cut out the battery tray area, gotta go buy some sheet metal and start making a new battery tray. What guage sheet metal do you guys recommend? Going to be replacing some of the inner fender.

Also bought a deck the other day, waiting for it to come in.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/cd7200overviews.html

oh and i bought new door weatherstripping.

anyone have any experience with the window squeegies from jcw?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/-INNER-AND-OUTER-BELT-WEATHERSTRIPS/GP_2008581_N_111+1973+200730065+600003813_10101.jcw

got the truck all ready to cut out the battery tray area, gotta go buy some sheet metal and start making a new battery tray. What guage sheet metal do you guys recommend? Going to be replacing some of the inner fender.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/-INNER-AND-OUTER-BELT-WEATHERSTRIPS/GP_2008581_N_111+1973+200730065+600003813_10101.jcw

Did you order a set of those squeegees? If so, let us know how they work out, I'll probably order some. I didn't even know they offered them.

Did you order a set of those squeegees? If so, let us know how they work out, I'll probably order some. I didn't even know they offered them.

Pretty sure they are universal, so not quite sure how good they will work, I havnt ordered a set yet, probably will soon

I think 14 or 16 gauge metal should be fine. If you plan on welding it in the replacement metal should be close to the factory metal [thickness wise]. Did you get the weatherstripping off E-bay? & on my 620 i have the window felts bought from JCW & they fit great. Just had to make 1 relief cut in the corner of the door frame. Window squeegies is 1 item i ALWAYS grab when im at the yard as long as they're in OK shape. The older 4 runner back sliding window rubber will also work for squeegies w/ minor trimming too. PM Motivated, he has done this mod.

[/i]

since you brought that up, you should make a few more to sell :) those looked pretty nice. I am moving my battery under the dash so it is of no use to me, but killer none the less.

I think 14 or 16 gauge metal should be fine. If you plan on welding it in the replacement metal should be close to the factory metal [thickness wise]. Did you get the weatherstripping off E-bay? & on my 620 i have the window felts bought from JCW & they fit great. Just had to make 1 relief cut in the corner of the door frame. Window squeegies is 1 item i ALWAYS grab when im at the yard as long as they're in OK shape. The older 4 runner back sliding window rubber will also work for squeegies w/ minor trimming too. PM Motivated, he has done this mod.

I dont have a anything to measure the stock sheet metal. I guess i could always get a micrometer and measure it. I do plan to relocate the battery, but Im not sure if recon will give me a hard time, so for now Ill just fix the rusted area. Yeah I purchased the door seals from Ebay, I think it came to 50 bucks shipped, Ill see how they fit and Ill let you know where I got em from if they are good/bad. If they are crap I would want to let others know. My window felts look to be okay. Ill take a look at the 4 runner rubber.

howzit bra? thats a sick truck you building ..got any new pics?

Thanks man. No I dont really have any new pictures. Only thing that has changed since the last ones is I pulled the passenger side fender off to get better access to the battery tray/inner fender area.

[/i]

since you brought that up, you should make a few more to sell :) those looked pretty nice. I am moving my battery under the dash so it is of no use to me, but killer none the less.

Are you using the same size battery? I thought about using a motorcycle battery, but I doubt it would work well with a stereo. I know drift guys use them tho. Not sure what size they use tho.

Are you using the same size battery? I thought about using a motorcycle battery, but I doubt it would work well with a stereo. I know drift guys use them tho. Not sure what size they use tho.

I have a 600 CCA battery in the 620 now. I have though used my hydraulic batteries before which are huge & 1200 CCA ;)

that sucks man I warned you about recon... I hated those people i was rolling for almost 3 years before i got my first recon ticket.. then after that it was one after another. so i had to finally get one.. good luck man those people are idiots just another stupid tax..

wow bra !! i live on the big island and juss got saftey for my 620 and it dosent have a rear bumper,and it has side pipes and a flame thrower that sucks i didnt know that oahu still have recon....... keep the faith do wat gotta to get um pass den drop um lowwer than before lol aloha bra

wow bra !! i live on the big island and juss got saftey for my 620 and it dosent have a rear bumper,and it has side pipes and a flame thrower that sucks i didnt know that oahu still have recon....... keep the faith do wat gotta to get um pass den drop um lowwer than before lol aloha bra

yeah if it wasnt for the out of state title. bastard wouldnt let me register it without a vin inspection, thats what got me. :mad:

got the door seals in the mail today. Installed them. OEM fit, I would recommend them. I think it came to like 58 bucks ships if I recall, heres a link to the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310108304955&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

Well started making some of the stereo stuff. Here is the driver side kick panel and the start of a simple amp rack.

The kickpanel still needs a few more layers of glass before I set the mounting plate in and glass over it. I need to go pick up some more cloth, resin, paint brushes and some rubber gloves.

Still waiting on my wiring to come in.

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

heres a little progress. Driver side kickpanel is close to done. Ill do most of the passenger side tomarrow. Have most of the wires ran. Ill grab more pictures tomarrow. Heres a one when I was waiting for the resin to cure.

DSC01196.jpg

Looking Sweet:cool:! A man on a mission gets things done:D! Love this Thread Bro':cool:!!!!

Thanks, got some more done today.

Got the back halve of the passenger side kickpanel curing right now. Ill snap a picture once the front is molded. Sanded the Driver side one and decided it needed another coat of resin. I wet sanded it some so its in the oven right now drying out before I put another coat of resin on and hopefully add alittle bondo and paint. I thought about doing a piano finish with the paint under the resin but it will be quite a bit of work so I might just hit it with undercoating to match the floor for now.

I still need to finish the panels that sit between the body and the kickpanel. Ill mount the crossovers on them with some nice trim rings. Should look pretty good.

Oh I found a rear bumper, gotta go get it from maui.