1973 Datsun PL620 build

sanitys

Sanity, I don't know if you got some carpet yet, but I got the kit for a early 80's 720. Did a test fit and just had to trim a little at the firewall and sides. Forgot to take any pics. Works good. Fit good down the middle and was formed over the rails where the seats attach. I'm painting my truck this next week and I'll start installing everything. I'll get some pics up for you.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanity, I don't know if you got some carpet yet, but I got the kit for a early 80's 720. Did a test fit and just had to trim a little at the firewall and sides. Forgot to take any pics. Works good. Fit good down the middle and was formed over the rails where the seats attach. I'm painting my truck this next week and I'll start installing everything. I'll get some pics up for you.

Thanks I appreciate it. Been hard at work doing the motor swap. cleaning up the 240 harness now. Its just about ready to be taped back up. Only thing left is the MAF wires as I havnt made an intake pipe yet.

I still need to take the 620 wires out of the engine bay, well the ones I dont need. Im also relocating the battery. I have not started on getting that all hooked up yet.

Still gotta do the drive shaft and exhaust, umm, oh, install the fiero radiator and some electric fan that i need to pick up. Put in the walbro fuel pump and run the lines and what not. So yeah still needs a few days to get close...Heres a teaser picture. Sorry about the blurryness...

DSC01655.jpg

got some more wiring done today, test fit the radiator. Cleaned up the stock 620 harness some. Was texting with jason double checking my work. I dont want to run into issues and have to redo some of the wiring. Didnt get the chance to read all the posts about switching to a IR alternator, so i read up and found the 510realm link which should work dandy. I started the wiring for the battery that will be mounted in the passenger side bed. I might have to pick up some more 4 guage wire. Im thinking about running 8 guage for the alternator but havnt decided on anything. I found myself alittle stumped when deleting the voltage reg. didnt have wifi in the carport so i was asking jason but he didnt have the diagrams on hand. found the links for the 510realm about tossing the regulator and doing IR alt. Should get alot more done tomarrow. Oh need to pick up some sheet metal for mounting my relays and fuses...

this si why i dont like efi all the damn wire lol but its looking good man keep up the good work

thx. all that wiring will be cleaned up. there is maybe 10 wires left that need shortening, and then the maf plug but i need to go get some pipe still to mount the maf.

got alittle more harness work done. Its getting close. Also got the fuelpump routed and some of the lines ran. first picture is before I took the harness out to finish cleaning up the wiring. Second is close. Just needs 1 or 2 more wires done, then that group of 3. Last is wires that I cut out. Both the 240 harness and the 620

DSC01665.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

DSC01667.jpg

Nice work man

Love it

Headed to Hawaii Sept. 4 for my brother's wedding

Will be checking the local Datsun folks there if I have time.

ill be on the mainland during that time, how long u coming out for?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Updates?

Got really burnt out w/ working on it. Took a few month break. I hate using jack stands and laying on the ground, then again i was spoiled growing up w/ access to hoists/tools/etc.

Wiring

1. Wiring is pretty much all done now. I think I have 2 wires left from the stock datsun harness (blue/red) one goes down by the trans, other wraps across by the rad. Oh one side of it was T'd and went to voltage reg...scratches head, yeah dunno if I can shit-can those or not.

2. Run ground and power to fuel pump

3. Hook up backup-light

4. Run power cable for amp

5. hook up the memory wire for the deck to batt

6. The two sets of wires that go to the intake sensors havnt been shortened since i havnt installed the pipe

7. Fan relay and stuff

8. Maybe one wire im forgetting..

Others

1. Shorten Driveshaft (will outsource this)

2. make box for the battery that will be mounted in the bed

3. exhaust (outsource)

4. fit my fiero radiator (actually thinking about doing this today)

5. Buy/mount electric fan

6. Buy/mount some pipe for intake pipe

7. Run the return fuel line to the gas tank.

8. attach clutch slave.

9. coolant lines/hose

Lol by looking at If i just spent the better part of a day it would be running, lol. Need to get off my lazy ass and finish it. I dont think I forgot anything, thats all it needs to get back on the road.

Future plans is getting the body/frame dipped/blasted and painted

tweak the front coilover mounts to drop the front about 2 more inches

probably some motor mods but we will see

CARPET and some insulation!

Better seats

I get out of the army in about 6 months, and Ill be going back to michigan atleast for alittle while. Then Ill have hoists, tools, welder, etc, etc. since the old man has a salvage yard.

well, decided against mounting the rad since i dont know how much room Ill have with the fan. I did however sand out the dips in my valve cover. Way back in july I cleaned up the valve cover to give it an old school look, needless to say I was alittle too grinder happy and burned a small hole in the valve cover, when i went back to michigan in sept. I tossed it in my suit case and dropped it off at my dads shop, anyways, no more hole, and i sanded most of it down to get rid of the grinding marks, could use about 30 more min of sanding or so...Oh yeah, it will be painted like the intake mani....

I tryed to make the previous pictures not show the hole in the back of the valve cover, incase you were wondering what i was talking about...look at a stock ka24e valve cover, you will see i ground alot off.

DSC01836.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

Edited by sanitys

got some more done on it, did some more wiring, ordered the fan and intake pipe, painted and sanded the valve cover (just needs some clear) No work tomarrow so ill probably do some more on it and update the list...

edit, i have about 4 wires from the stock datsun harness, need to know where/if i should connect them. Ill do a more detailed post tomarrow, but for a 73 620, two blue/red wires coming from the loom that goes to the trans, other two are the ones that connect to white/blue to the voltage reg....I want to say (it T's off) one is red/black, other is white blue....From glancing at the diagram all 4 of the wires in question should have juice (not ground), just not sure what wire i should connect them too....keep in mind its a ka24e motor set/alt...

Id like to solve issues like this before i tape/insulate the wiring

Edited by sanitys

did some more wiring, painted/cleared the valve cover. Low and behold my neighbor has a 521..Atleast i think it is. Was taking the dog for a stroll and seen it. Chopped with bed hooks and all :D Crappy lighting since it was about 9pm tonight....Ill upload the pictures when i finish doing the wiring stuff...

I still have the the two blue/red wires coming from the loom that goes under the truck...the 74 diagram doesnt list em... and the red/black, white/blue.... I know the white/blue is igntion +...red/black goes to backup switch...

So do i just spice the white/blue (originally to volt reg) to red/black (to backup switch) or do I need to give the white/blue power on ignition as well?

I only have the 74 wiring diagram, and i dont see the two blue/red wires...other two wires are shown, just want to ask you wiring guru's before i cut and splice and start a fire, ha

pictures as i promised....

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

Edited by sanitys
  • 4 weeks later...

well gotten alot more done on the truck. Bought 20ft of 3/8 nylon braided line, and a butt ton of an fittings, having my buddy weld on some 6an fittings to a ka24e fuel rail, picked up a aeromotive FPR, drilled and tapped the gas tank for 6an bulkhead fittings, have some pictures on my phone, but too lazy to upload. I still dont know how the hell im gonna get the nuts on back of fittings, and the pickup tube installed on the lower bulkhead...my hand wont fit in the holes, anyone want to loan me a 3 yr old kid so i can have them atleast start the threads :cool:

made a fiberglass battery box today, its still hardening, Ill update with some pictures later. got most of the other wiring shit taken care of, still waiting for my electric fan to come in, its been over a month!....:angry: Measured the drive shaft, the stock 620 yoke fits into the trans, it need to be 87mm shorter on the front driveshaft. Gonna bring it to a driveshop shop this week.

on a bad note, since early december the motor is fucking right siezed up.:angry: tried MMO, ATF, etc, nothing is breaking the damn thing free. Motor ran before I swapped it, only thing I can think of is salt in the air/water got into the cyclinders when I washed it...pulling the head in the next week or so and seeing what the hell the problem is. Once the head is pulled gonna get a valve job/cheap rebuild done while its out.

Have a spare motor back in the states that Im gonna get built while im still out here in hawaii so it will be drop in when I get to the mainland in july. Just need the truck to drive to ship it back to the states, or atleast I think it needs to be running to ship w/ matson...

sold the donor hardbody tonight for 200 bucks, it was quite rusty. Alteast the 200 bucks will pay for my driveshaft shortening and have enough left over to take the wife out to eat :) I have the stock L16 w/ 4 speed on craigslist for 200 obo, we will see if that sells.

Once i finish all the lines I will have to do a leak test..

IMAGE_010.jpg

#2 cyclinder was stuck. Pulled the head off today, got it unstuck, cleaned out the cyclinder. Went to go bring the driveshaft and head to the machine shop for rebuild/shortening, however they were closed. gonna drop off the stuff on tuesday. I have a order in at summit for some more fuel system parts which wont ship till FEB 5th. They are going to wisconsin so my buddy can weld in some 6an fittings on the fuel rail. You dont want to know how much money that box of an fittings, line, fuel filter, etc cost.

to get it running I just need to:

finish the fuel system

install rad.

put the top of the motor back on

to drive it:

shorten driveshaft

get exhaust made

install electric fan (its finally on its way here)

there might be 1 or 2 other small things, but nothing major. I should have never took a 4 month or so break working on the truck.

edit some pictures from today.

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

DSC01868.jpg

Looking Good Man. Lots of WIRE what kind of radiator is that?

fiero radiator. I think the only wire I have left is the connecting the fan and fan thermo. Ill tape it all up once I test everything while its running.

2eDeYe' date='06 February 2010 - 06:56 AM' timestamp='1265475408' post='263312']

Gotta love a pile of parts, are you rebuilding the bottom end? :)

I wish i had the extra to do the bottom at this time, however I still need to put some money aside for rods and pistons. I also want to go soild lifters, oversized valves, and bigger cam. I plan on building a motor up in the next few months, then get the turbo parts I will need.

today I mounted the radiator. Just need to put two bolts in the upper supports. I started mounting the fan however I ran out of aluminum and didnt feel like running back out to the store, Ill pick some more up this week and mount the fan. Anyone have experience with this hose?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-390048/

Since my upper hose is on the opposite side im gonna need a 180 at the motor and a 90 at the upper rad. So i thought that stuff would work without kinking.

pictures...

DSC01877.jpg

DSC01878.jpg

DSC01879.jpg

DSC01880.jpg