U20 in a pl510

rev run d

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If an L16 is nearly drop in to a roadster, then a u20 should be nearly drop in to a 510.

I have no idea what it takes to put an L into a roadster, but that is how I would start.

Or sell the u20 to somebody restoring a roadster and buy a different engine.

• Like 1

No it's NOT a drop in. The 5 speed transmission, if working, could be big bucks as almost all have been 'used up' for racing and rebuild kits and parts and now made of Unattainium. It's too long to fit the 510. U20s, like Roadsters, are a rich man's toy. Get rid of it, make a few bucks and fix your 510..

• Like 1

It's not a "drop in".  Oil pan doesn't match the suspension, for one.  Starter is very close to the steering box (and might actually be in the way), 2nd.  Mounts are in entirely different location, 3rd.

U20 parts are apparently made of 24k gold, judging by the price.   They're powerful (compared to a stock L16) but also fragile, due to that  OHV converted to OHC 2 timing chain" setup.

You must be blind with those cool hipster sunglasses on.

Engine in question:

20130408_144732_zpsaaefec5c.jpg

Googled Datsun R16 engine gets you all these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=datsun+R16+engine&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=631&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjezrKgtaDLAhVINSYKHaqVAEMQ_AUIBygC

Same engine my Fairlady had in it.

Now, what do you have to say........?

I'm waiting.

Or call it 'Who's the noob now'.

You must be blind with those cool hipster sunglasses on.

Engine in question:

20130408_144732_zpsaaefec5c.jpg

Googled Datsun R16 engine gets you all these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=datsun+R16+engine&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=631&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjezrKgtaDLAhVINSYKHaqVAEMQ_AUIBygC

Same engine my Fairlady had in it.

Now, what do you have to say........?

I'm waiting.

Or call it 'Who's the noob now'.

That's funny, I thought he was describing this in his post. Now, what picture are your referring to? Come on, show me.

Datsun_U20_engine.jpg

That is an R16......

Oh! You are referring to the link Indy510 posted, not what the original question is, which it what this all about. 

So, what would you like me to say? That you should stick to the original question and not just start going all engine tourettes when someone other than the OP post it. We know what the wagon has and we know what a U20 is. 

I used to own a Datsun 1600 Roadster, the Fairlady was a Japan only name. Just in case you didn't know

Yup, INDY510's post, where he stated clearly that he didn't know what the engine was.

I didn't think it was all that hard to follow.

Sorry, I didn't see the forum rule that said no replies that were not directed at the original post.

Must have missed that one.

By the way, my 411 wagon also had the R engine.

Those were called a Blue Bird in Japan.

(just in case you didn't know)

Yup, INDY510's post, where he stated clearly that he didn't know what the engine was.

I didn't think it was all that hard to follow.

Sorry, I didn't see the forum rule that said no replies that were not directed at the original post.

Must have missed that one.

By the way, my 411 wagon also had the R engine.

Those were called a Blue Bird in Japan.

(just in case you didn't know)

Not hard to follow, if someone actually cared, and I don't since it was not an answer to the OP post, which of course there are not rules on how to answer. 

I used to have a forklift with an R in it as well, does that make it a bluebird? 

Anything can be done. The U20 is rather an esoteric engine to begin with. Never heard of it being a transplant engine and this is likely because they aren't that common, and not that well known. (so good luck getting parts, service for one) Getting 135-150 hp from 2 liters is quite a feat in itself and so, will be like the old Jaguar XKE.... a rich man's toy that was tuned all week to drive on Sunday afternoons. Maybe not that bad, but not something you fire up every day reliably in all weather like an L series. 

I think it would be an interesting... experiment.

I have a spare U20, (130hp 2000cc OHC engine out of a Datsun Roadster) and was wondering if it and the matching 5 speed is a drop in swap into a pl510. 

I know they're rarer engines, and I can't seem to find any information by Googling, so Ratsun, what do you know?

Where are you? If it's in good shape, I'll trade you three L-series engines for it.   :rofl: