Your moms aunt Flo's 411

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2000  roadster came with 3.70 gears also but i think horsepower was over 130 stock,,and the dual Solex 2000 was a pretty powerful car. i was actually hoping for those ( 3.70) when he gave me the rear end,, cuz i do a lot of freeway traveling,,but it was not to be.  i assume that the 1600 in such a small car it didn't need to much grunt to get it going anyway so having high gear ratio wouldn't even be noticed,,

these tires and screaming cheetah wheelies   

215/60/13 rear

205/60/13 front

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

Those are some meaty 13's! They look like the old M/T sportsman tread pattern. Cool! I like those minilites too. I have a set I'm considering cleaning up...someday.

Didn't realize the 2000 roadsters were that snotty either.

Your cruising rpm should be much more tolerable with 3.90s. I think it's still enough gear you should be good for hills and such as well.

Thought it would be kinda cool to get a set of 59 caddy tails and super glue them fuckers onto the cones to really be spacey ,,, but $14. a piece ,,, i might be to cheap

91062155_L.jpg

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1959-Cadillac-Tail-Light-Kits,19763.html

Like these without the chrome

DSCF0420.jpg

be kinda trippy  though

DO IT!!!! :thumbup:

Spring perches are the same width apart and the brakes ( shoes cylinders, adjusters) are almost identical the only thing that is a major difference is the parking linkage is on opposite sides but nothing a cutter wheel and a welder won't fix... One main bonus will be the rear gearing will come down from 4.37 to a less slightly less teeth rattling 3.888888888,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well 3.90 really.

Other pictures of all 4 adjusters that were cleaned up and re-greased which is weird they all came apart with no issues at all

IMG_2490_zpspamd3mxy.jpg

411 ones look lighter but they measure out the same size and mount exactly same

IMG_2499_zpswztupxrm.jpg

I figure i will run all the brake parts off the 411 on the roadster rear end since they are in really good shape.

I am waiting on axle bearings for "new" rearend since it's apart anyways ,, i thought what the fuck eh?

When it comes time to adjust those rear brakes, take my advice.  Get yourself to a 1/4 inch socket set.  Take the 1/4 inch hex key and the i/4 inch socket.  Surprise!  The driver is a square wrench!  Take a "regular" hex keyed set and put the driver into the 1/4 inch socket.  You now have the required 1/4 inch square socket required to adjust your rear brakes without buggering up the shoulders of the adjustment stud with a gas wrench or other adjustible wrench combo! 

• Like 3

When it comes time to adjust those rear brakes, take my advice.  Get yourself to a 1/4 inch socket set.  Take the 1/4 inch hex key and the i/4 inch socket.  Surprise!  The driver is a square wrench!  Take a "regular" hex keyed set and put the driver into the 1/4 inch socket.  You now have the required 1/4 inch square socket required to adjust your rear brakes without buggering up the shoulders of the adjustment stud with a gas wrench or other adjustible wrench combo! 

We made a few of these tools by taking two cheap 1/4 drive sockets and welding them together nose-to-nose. Then you can use a ratchet to adjust it. 

• Like 2

All great advice but i will probably just use my raggedy old square drive socket i already have. :rofl:

I think i bought this at a store (yardbirds Olympia)  that has been closed for something like 25 years.

IMG_2503_zpsrl1gygk4.jpg

• Like 4

All great advice but i will probably just use my raggedy old square drive socket i already have. :rofl:

I think i bought this at a store (yardbirds Olympia)  that has been closed for something like 25 years.

Hence why we made some. They don't seem to sell them any more, at least not at places we looked....

Another friend who built a lot of 510s (which also used this adjuster) used to always weld a nut onto the adjuster...

• Like 1

Yeah i get it ,, we use those 1/4 inch square headed set screws in a ton of chain driven equipment ( those stupid Allen head fuckers are worthless on high side torque shit) at my dads farm and you lose those little sockets all the time,, but the local ( to him ) hardware store has tons of them... But i had a fuck of a time finding one when i had misplaced the ones i have and tried to find one locally ..

• 2 weeks later...

So a guy asked what my car looked like and when i went looking for a pic ( internet-paranoia made me not wanna post my real car) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i got this shit.

http://seattlesparkedcars.blogspot.com/2014/02/1965-datsun-411-sedan.html

Now aint that a kick in the nuts.

:rofl:........... :rofl:

• Like 3

Did you send him that like or what?

English muther fucker ,,,,,do you type it?

If you are asking if i sent it to him ,, no,,, it wasn't a personal message it was out in plain view in a rat rod forum .. I didn't want to get too personal since was just commenting about a car show in Tumwater and i think the dude is local to me. and i don't want no rat rod fucks looking for treasure in my backyard.

just posted a stock 411 picture .

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

So after trying everything to fix my air hydraulic pump for my press,, so i could reuse the pressed on collar to save a few bucks ( collars only sold in full "kits" ) ,,,, i gave up and just cut the fuckin fucks off.

The bearings and the grease and axle seals I ALREADY HAVE!!  :sneaky:  should be here in a couple days.

IMG_2601_zpsn9gqzwc1.jpg

Moved the park brake swivel thing to the drivers side and cut off the trailing arm bracket and painted the whole shitter-ee ,, not really to look nicer,, just to make it cleaner by default .

IMG_2595_zpsvcrfcdlp.jpg

IMG_2596_zpsepwzykqo.jpg

IMG_2605_zps6jnz4bkp.jpg

IMG_2604_zpsssmovmoe.jpg

IMG_2602_zpsw6cdofeh.jpg

Spent some of the day driving around Olympia with this clown,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for science.

IMG_2600_zps9tmo6pzv.jpg

• Like 4

In other news and what-not

Fuckin Ted gave me this for FAT510s wagon project but left the axles at the dudes house and said dude moved ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so that sucks.

IMG_2599_zps52wdpwb0.jpg

IMG_2598_zpswtz80y2g.jpg

BUT i did a few favors today in order to maybe get some "alternate" outer mounting plates welded on so maybe use axles that are at least ,,,,,,,,,,,, somewhat find-able on the planet earth and shit

• Like 3

Thanks man,,, the garage is only 24 x 48 x 14 at eaves ,, wish i would have gone 35` instead of 24 though i can't pull my 88 ford extended cab even close to all the way in for major repairs and shit.

So anyone that hates me will be happy as fuck to hear that in my hurry to install bearings............... the first backing plate was put on backwards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, spent all fucking morning pulling that collar and bearing back off .. :geek:

My morning put to music

:rofl:

• Like 2

Mine is 30x40x12.....if I was taller I wouldn't be able to use the lift. I should have gone 14' on ceilings.

I thought 30' would be plenty but my 1996 f250 just fits. It's amazing how much room you lose with workbenches, tools and shit. I believe you probably would need 35' to get that truck in there.

• Like 1