Running a V8 in a 510... Pros & cons?

Not sure I follow, because I feel like your pic just made my point for me. I believe it's theoretically possible to make a VG pretty, I'm just saying I've never seen one.

Tom's 510 is probably the prettiest attempt I've seen at an EFI VG. I think the carb versions are a bit prettier, just because they are simpler. 

I really like the one shown above, but maybe with a little less grey on it, it might look better? And that dizzy is kinda fugly, No good way around that...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love V8's but the smallest import I'd swap one into would be a Volvo 140 or 240 series.

If you can have two toys I'd keep the 510 4cyl and get something else for V8 fun.

I definitely understand wanting something with the V8 sound. If you love it nothing else will do.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to frequent the Knox mountain hill climb in Kelowna B.C. in the 1990's. In those days a lot of 510's ran that hill. I remember seeing a V8 510 competing against a turbo L20b 510. It wasn't even close.

The V8 510 was trailered and wasn't street legal. Full cage, no dash or heater. I'm pretty sure it was a Chev 350 and it sounded mean.

The L20b 510 drove to the hill climb from Vancouver. It's about a 500 mile round trip. It was street legal, had license plates and even a heater. The turbo 4 cylinder 510 killed the V8 510. I think their closest runs were 13 seconds apart. Oh the shame. it sounded great going up the mountain though.

Obviously lots of variables including drivers and suspension set ups but V8's aren't the end all be all of power plants. SR20's, VG's, and KA24's can put out enough power for a light car with a short wheelbase like the 510. Not worth hacking up a 510 for.

From a weight perspective the L20B would handle way better. The car has plastic windows, no carpet or insulation... stripped. But has a roll bar. It's purpose built for racing. The 350??? who knows haw the car was set up or even if it was?

I paint show cars for a living and I fucking love the color of this motor! IMHO this entire engine bay is nearly perfect.

quit nitpicking you little girls

While we are nit picking, that dipstick needs to go. He should replace it with one from a 200SX SE.

• Like 1