Running a V8 in a 510... Pros & cons?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thick skin is a very necessary part of life here. We're mostly opinionated bastards who say what we think. Why bother even going to the effort of being offended by some dude on the internet. He's not even in the same country. Who cares if he thinks you're a redneck?

• Like 2

Paradime I'm not interested in anything Foxworthy has to say he's a hack that makes a living belittling his own people. Anyway the point I was trying to make about the redneck remark is unless you know the person trying to do a crazy conversion, and I do think this one is crazy, don't talk shit about what they are trying to do. You may not like what I do and that's fine but pull up NE t to the little red 4dr Volvo we finished last week with a 600hp ls1 and I guarandamnty you your turbo 4 banger is gonna look pathetic, but that said I'm not trying to I got a bigger dick than yours. What I am saying is I'm a 20 yr retired air craft mechanic from uncle Sam's flying circus, USAF for you slow guys, and I'm also college educated so by calling what I do redneck you are calling me redneck and that is what I take offense to. I am in essence a field engineer that takes on a project and works thru the problems to create a sleeper that will blow the doors off your 90k Corvette or porche. And for less than half the price. If you think it's OK to belittle someone because they want to go outside what you think is normal I think you're a narrow-minded ass. The site is called Datsun correct? I don't see anything saying it can only be ratted with Datsun parts, did I miss that somewhere? Again I'm not trying to put a label on what's right and what's wrong, I don't like people implying I'm a redneck because I choose to think for myself and go outside the norm and do what no one else is doing, as stated before just sticking a v8 in a car and taking off isn't redneck it's assanine, but hey it's your life. For the record I wish I could get Foxworthy in my lt1 300zx so I could make him shit himself.

Actually you ARE trying to say you have a larger 600hp LS1 dick, collage boy. You're making an issue of a non issue. My 'comment' is a year old nearly and you've been here, what? a week???? How was this in any way directed at you, unless you secretly believe what you do is redneck? Not everything in life revolves around American V8s, .... or putting them into small cars.

A V8 510 is ill advised but do-able. Some might even get it right, but most do not. God knows how many fail and no one ever knows about it. If you have to cut the car up to fit an engine it isn't a viable swap. The car is now forever ruined for a future owner who might want to put his engine choice in.... and I have said such to dissuade those that might think of doing it. Not to save them from failure but to save a Datsun 510 from the scrapper. There are much simpler engine swaps that keep the 510 a 510.  But once a mind is made up... go for it.    

• Like 2

I know but I view being called a redneck the same as a black person being called a nigger. I was really more irritated that rather than encouraging the young man to try something they belittle him. A v8 is by far more of a ratsun than a turbo 4 made by Nissan. Don't be a Hippocrate is probably what I should have said. Anyway enuf with this bullshit let's get on with building badass cars and have fun. If I wanted to spend all my time explaining myself I would have stayed married.

V8 swaps are sooooo redneck. Chev V8s should be in Vegas. Fords in Pintos. and so on. Japanese tin are too light to add twice the engine weight no matter how high a hp you can 'get out of it'. The car comes closer and closer to being undrivable. Brocks V8 510 was an experiment, a should I do it? If it was so great where is it now? What good is it for other than a SEMA trailer queen? Is it realistic or even practical to try to make one like it?

No I haven't done one. I don't have to shoot myself to know i wouldn't like it.

10 months ago...

Paradime I'm not interested in anything Foxworthy has to say he's a hack that makes a living belittling his own people. Anyway the point I was trying to make about the redneck remark is unless you know the person trying to do a crazy conversion, and I do think this one is crazy, don't talk shit about what they are trying to do. You may not like what I do and that's fine but pull up NE t to the little red 4dr Volvo we finished last week with a 600hp ls1 and I guarandamnty you your turbo 4 banger is gonna look pathetic, but that said I'm not trying to I got a bigger dick than yours. What I am saying is I'm a 20 yr retired air craft mechanic from uncle Sam's flying circus, USAF for you slow guys, and I'm also college educated so by calling what I do redneck you are calling me redneck and that is what I take offense to. I am in essence a field engineer that takes on a project and works thru the problems to create a sleeper that will blow the doors off your 90k Corvette or porche. And for less than half the price. If you think it's OK to belittle someone because they want to go outside what you think is normal I think you're a narrow-minded ass. The site is called Datsun correct? I don't see anything saying it can only be ratted with Datsun parts, did I miss that somewhere? Again I'm not trying to put a label on what's right and what's wrong, I don't like people implying I'm a redneck because I choose to think for myself and go outside the norm and do what no one else is doing, as stated before just sticking a v8 in a car and taking off isn't redneck it's assanine, but hey it's your life. For the record I wish I could get Foxworthy in my lt1 300zx so I could make him shit himself.

Damn dude, for a 20 yr AF retired college educated badass shop owner, you sure are defensive. For the record, you may not be a redneck, but stuffing V8s in anything that moves is. If you don't have a sense of hummer about that, hey it's your life.

BTW, did a search for "NE t to the little red 4dr Volvo", "LS1 little red 4dr Volvo", "600hp little red 4dr Volvo", "Skunkworks, little red 4dr Volvo", and... Nothing. Post up Mr, bigger dick. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I have a V8 510. It is a proud beast and lives on in my shop, right next to the L18 EP spec autocross car that totally whupped it.

The V8 car is perfect on paper, 500# per corner, 10" slicks, 300hp, Red with the most amazing rear flares, everything except predictability. Kind of like a supermodel wife.

Pumping a Buick 215 is expensive and unreliable. You need to fabricate everything except the oil pump. The 8" wide footbox requires size 8 or smaller shoes. The interior is at coolant temperature or more. We had to build a ship in a bottle rollcage because the car twisted so badly it popped the radiator out. It heat soaks and is hard to restart, the cool air hole in the front of a 510 is only good for about 200hp, maybe less, opening this up leads to lots of structural trouble. The rear suspension has a very similar maximum.

Mid engine low polar moment of inertia, yep, but this actually means you never really know when she is going to spin, but she does return to the original direction after scrubbing a little speed. Lots of fun, but not what we expected....

A great museum piece but probably a mistake.

We still love it.

I have about 8 spare aluminum Buick 215 core motors if anyone really needs to prove me wrong here.....

Dennis

• Like 2

Listen to Dennis folks, He's forgotten more about 510's than you and I will ever know.

It's a privilege to have you here Mr. Hale. I know your neighbor Joel. He's helped me with my SR swapped Rebello tuned 510.

Joel.jpg

I actually talked to Dave Rebello about your car when I was researching my latest 510 autocross build. I was considering a V8, or VG30DETT, but after describing the drawbacks, Dave talked me into the SR platform. Glad I listened.

BTW, I'd love to see something like UFO fired back up in the bay area again. Any advice?

• Like 1

Wow, I remember Dennis Hale from the Diime Quarterly and reading of the famous meets at the Hale residence. very cool!  I don't remember seeing pics of your V8 beast, but did read a bunch about it.  

I too have built a 510 V8 using a Ford 5.0, Tremec tranny, Corvette rear, Wilwood brakes, etc. etc.  I built my car as a street vehicle and have logged 49,600+ miles as a daily driver and autocross toy for the past 12 years.  At about 12 events a year, this car has seen plenty of AutoX miles.  I only run 225-50-15 race tires (Kumho, Hankook, and BF Goodrich R1S) on 15 by 7" Rims so no flares as the car is a street car so it looks mostly stock. The car puts out 274 RWHP and 311 FTLBS of torque, so it does run well.  The engine does not overheat in 100 degree city traffic and is not hot inside the car as the engine is confined to the engine bay, it is not mid engine or way back like Pete Brock's car the front cylinder is 9 inches further back than the 1600 if memory is right.    I run a sprint car radiator with a shrouded fan to keep the temp at 180-190.  I do not recommend the swap as there is too much needed to do that just toss the motor in.  I have never had any problems with frame twist and use a standard Autopower rool cage and that seems to stiffen the chassis more that enough, the traction is enough to lift the front and sometimes rear wheel in corners.  I have adjusted the sway bars and changed them a number of times to get the car to run will.  I run Koni aluminum adjustable racing shocks so there is plenty of adjustment there plus the Corvette rear end allows plenty of adjustment that is not possible with the standard Datsun rear setup.  My car was built with street running in mind, and I have been involved in Bonneville racing and road race car and  bike design so the suspension is pretty good and the subframe parts are Bonneville tough, which is why the car weighs right at 2700 lbs, 51% front and 49% rear distribution.  If you ever get down to the San Diego area, come to one of our SCCA SOLO events and you can take a ride, it would be an honor!  

Glad to see you still have your mind on Datsuns!

Here is a link to my photobucket album of the car if you wish to check it out:   http://s5.photobucket.com/user/bubbamatt/library/Datsun%20510%20%20V8?sort=3&page=1

Also, here is a video of a run we just had at Qualcomm on Sunday, great course, much fun!

Enjoy the ride!

Matt Guzzetta

• Like 1

Listen to Dennis folks, He's forgotten more about 510's than you and I will ever know.

It's a privilege to have you here Mr. Hale. I know your neighbor Joel. He's helped me with my SR swapped Rebello tuned 510.

Joel.jpg

I actually talked to Dave Rebello about your car when I was researching my latest 510 autocross build. I was considering a V8, or VG30DETT, but after describing the drawbacks, Dave talked me into the SR platform. Glad I listened.

BTW, I'd love to see something like UFO fired back up in the bay area again. Any advice?

I can see what he is thinking...."who worked on this, a blind guy!?"....

• Like 1