Running a V8 in a 510... Pros & cons?

I'm building a 215ed 510. I want something that goes at low-to-medium revs. Most Datsun guys disagree. I want linear throttle response. Most want that boost surge. I want the V8 sound. Others want the whistle and pop. Some folks just want something a little different. Some people can't stand that.

If it sucks, I'll pull it out and put something else in. And I'll report about it.

(an aluminum-block GM 4.3 would be fantastic, but the aluminum blocks are unobtanium. There's so much cheap go-fast for that small block architecture...)

• Like 2
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm building a 215ed 510. I want something that goes at low-to-medium revs. Most Datsun guys disagree. I want linear throttle response. Most want that boost surge. I want the V8 sound. Others want the whistle and pop. Some folks just want something a little different. Some people can't stand that.

If it sucks, I'll pull it out and put something else in. And I'll report about it.

(an aluminum-block GM 4.3 would be fantastic, but the aluminum blocks are unobtanium. There's so much cheap go-fast for that small block architecture...)

Not saying "don't V8 a 510" I'm saying just do it right, slamming it in the hole is not the right way. It takes alot of work to get it right.

It's his money, headache, car and sweat.  This thread is going back and forth.  I say let him do it.  One only finds their truth by doing it not by talking and yes I understand where most of us are coming from, we don't want this to be another build and goes to the scrapper, yes it pains me, too, cuz our cars are rarer and rarer.  Back in the dayz I use to see Datsuns in the JYs and in the last 2 years - I used to frequent 3 PNP w/in a 30 mile radius from the house. , I am lucky to see an 80's Z today, same thing with ol skool Toyotas where I use to find parts for corollas and Celicas, I had a 75 at one time.