Running a V8 in a 510... Pros & cons?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that after lots of research I'd just do it and not post about it. Then maybe after getting it dialed in I'd post the autocross times if worthy.

I'd skip stirring the pot and by pass the haters, but that's just me.

• Like 1

The only V8 I'd consider swapping into a 510 would be the Hartley H1 V8 Hayabusa. 200 lbs, 400 hp, 280 ft lb, 12,000 rpm and that's N/A

HartleyV82.jpg

Could you imagine.

Only if just gave up sail boat racing and was looking for a new place to dump the money

Has no one considered Toyota 1UZ? All aluminum, weighs about 400lbs and makes 255hp stock from what I understand. I have seen a few E7 and AE86s with the swap done and they are very competitive on the track.

Seen two in a Z and one in a 510. I think the 510 one had a build thread here at one point? It's a good fit, fairly light weight, and makes good power. It can be very spendy to make it a 5spd though...

• 2 weeks later...

Datsunmike I take great offense at your redneck remark as I make alot of money swapping v8s into z cars, rx7s and every minitruck built since the 70s along with Toyota celicas Mitsubishi stations and several others. If you don't like the idea of a v8 in jap metal fine but let's keep the derogative slurs to yourself,as to this swap, I concur with everyone here. I did one and it was a big mistake in a sedan, not so much in my old wagon with a small block Ford and 4 SPD but this was a gutted out car used for drag racing and it still required extensive fab work even for me and I've been doing it for 30 yrs.

Datsunmike I take great offense at your redneck remark as I make alot of money swapping v8s into z cars, rx7s and every minitruck built since the 70s along with Toyota celicas Mitsubishi stations and several others. If you don't like the idea of a v8 in jap metal fine but let's keep the derogative slurs to yourself,as to this swap, I concur with everyone here. I did one and it was a big mistake in a sedan, not so much in my old wagon with a small block Ford and 4 SPD but this was a gutted out car used for drag racing and it still required extensive fab work even for me and I've been doing it for 30 yrs.

That's kind of the point that some of us are trying to make, yes you can do it BUT it takes an extensive amount of fabrication time and skill to complete correctly.

I agree with Mike, a V8 swap is kind of a redneck thing to do.....always wanted to put a sbf in a wagon.....

I say lots of things so better if you quote me, as I have quoted you, so we can see how offensive the remark(s) are.

This???

51% front and 49% rear is only 100 pounds moved to the rear on a stock 2,200 lb weight 510. The front could be 100 pounds heavier and still be 51% of a vehicle weight of 2,600 pounds. Then again it's an auto cross car so I imagine it's not carrying any spare wasted weight and has been lightened.

That all said 51/49 is a good number.

Last December?

You mean it will handle better than if the extra 300 pounds were closer to the front? Or handle decently in a straight line?

Last October??

Maybe if it got out more it would get out more. I suspect this car is making a 10 the hard way and you could have got the same or better with a turbo V6  that actually fit. Now if this had a GTR drive train....

• Like 1

There was one at Datslocos swap meet with a big assed turbo hanging off of it. My guess is fast as fuck.

It's pretty fucking fast NA. Smooth as glass idle, likely 25+ mpg, and smooth linear torque from just above idle to redline.

It's a great engine. Toyota just never put it in a great car.   :rofl:

Well Mike you were referring to the v8 swap as being redneck and I make my living doing v8 swaps in jap cars you can't draw from your post and mine and see that? Putting a v8 in anything it didn't come in and making it work properly is anything but redneck, in fact it requires a good deal more skill than just sticking another 4 banger in the same hole another one just came out of. Not just anyone can do this properly so this is why I was insulted by your remark. If you were referring to the dumbass that just doesn't do anymore than drop a small block in and takes of without upgrading suspension or brakes then I can sorta see your point especially when that dumbass ends up in the woods with his car wrapped around a few trees. We here at skunkworks auto believe if you're gonna do it do it right the first time cause you might not get a second chance. I don't want to piss and argue with anyone here I'm just asking you to show me the same respect I show you. You guys have a ton of great points about th validity of this swap but I was raised to believe that it's o ly impossible if you accept it as such, 'I cant' isn't in my vocabulary. Is it feasible now that is the more pertinent question. OK I'll get off my pulpit now and let y'all get back to your lives.

Mike I was referring to your statement about doing a v8 swap being redneck since I make my living doing these swaps in all sorts of jap cars. Truth of the matter is it takes a lot more skill to properly install a v8 and make sure that the rest of the vehicle be up to par with the power of the engine. I'm part owner of skunkworks, we provide safe conversions in jags, Astro vans or pretty much any reardrive vehicle you may have and we do it right the 1st time cause you might not get a second chance otherwise. Most anyone can put a 4banger back in a hole that one just came out of, in reality it doesn't require a great deal of skill til you get into programmable eng mgmt systems and custom fi setups. I'm not trying to piss and argue about which swap is best, to each his own, but let's be adults and encourage ingenuity rather than telling one another that's a stupid idea even if it isn't the best idea. You guys have alot of valid points about the feasibility of this swap. Would I do it hell no been there done that and for my purposes at the time it was crazy. What was intended to be a fun Street sleeper ended up being a hacked up race car cause I just had to keep adding to get where I wanted to be.

One last thought and I will get off my pulpit, Logicali if you have the skills to pull this swap off to your satisfaction .ore power to ya, and if I can help in anyway don't hesitate to ask. That said I will warn you that building this car in a fashion that doesn't include a tube chassis and full roll cage would be a bad idea,that's just my opinion. Maybe you're a better fabricator than I or maybe you have come up with a new idea that no one else has thought of. If that's the case do your thing and show ALL of us what ya got and I'll be the first to shake your hand and say I was wrong. Remember folks 'I cant' will never get you anywhere, failure is the first step to success. Corny I know but few are those who are perfect, sermon over. Now y'all have a great night, this Redneck's going to watch reruns of the Dukes of Hazzard, drink moonshine,and shoot the winders outta my trailer til the po po comes and takes me to jail til I sober up. Peace

Sideways 620, taking great offense to anything anyone says here goes against everything Ratsun stands for. It's quite possible that Mike calling a V8 swap into a 510 a "redneck thing" was meant to be stereotypically descriptive. (tung firmly lodged in my left cheek)  ;) From what I understand, redneck engineering is not based on rational logic, it's all about WTF, lets do it logic. You're a swap shop in Georgia putting V8s in everything that comes through your door. Come on man, you know what Jeff Foxworthy would say about that.  :lol:

In a Z, or an RX, it can make for a great running car, but I have to be honest, there is a part of me that takes great offense to putting a massive hunk of American V8 iron in an iconic little Japanese car like the 510. That being said, I'm not going to ding anybody for doing it right. But as you know, for every one of those few, there are dozens of hacked up V8 swap projects, conceived in ignorant passion only to be aborted on the scrap heap of reailty. To do something like this right takes HUGE talent and MANY hours in planning and labor. But even done right, it will never be competitive against a turbo four cylinder 510 that can be built for 1/2 the price and 1/4 the effort. So what drives a talented person to do this kind of build? I think you would agree, it has something to do with a little WTF, lets do it logic. Hell, Mr. Datsun himself Peter Brock, and Dennis Hale the founder of the 510 UFO Autocross Club both built V8 510s. And both have said it was a mistake from the start. That being said, I am a huge fan of getting in over your head if you intend to learn how to swim in the deep end. And as you said, to each his own.

Just so Logicali has some idea of the steep hill in front of him, can you give a short list of the fab work that needs to be done? 

• Like 2

I say let him do what he wants with the sbc into the 510. Its his time, money, blood, sweat and tears. People will ask for opinions but in the end they are the ones that will have to live with their decision. Thats how we learn right? You see a lot of times in life, learning the " how to" to fabricate and mounting an engine into our 510s is important but perhaps what is more important is how we come to our decision in making our project happen. For example, is one driven by pure emotion or is their any kind of logic behind it.

Paradime I'm not interested in anything Foxworthy has to say he's a hack that makes a living belittling his own people. Anyway the point I was trying to make about the redneck remark is unless you know the person trying to do a crazy conversion, and I do think this one is crazy, don't talk shit about what they are trying to do. You may not like what I do and that's fine but pull up NE t to the little red 4dr Volvo we finished last week with a 600hp ls1 and I guarandamnty you your turbo 4 banger is gonna look pathetic, but that said I'm not trying to I got a bigger dick than yours. What I am saying is I'm a 20 yr retired air craft mechanic from uncle Sam's flying circus, USAF for you slow guys, and I'm also college educated so by calling what I do redneck you are calling me redneck and that is what I take offense to. I am in essence a field engineer that takes on a project and works thru the problems to create a sleeper that will blow the doors off your 90k Corvette or porche. And for less than half the price. If you think it's OK to belittle someone because they want to go outside what you think is normal I think you're a narrow-minded ass. The site is called Datsun correct? I don't see anything saying it can only be ratted with Datsun parts, did I miss that somewhere? Again I'm not trying to put a label on what's right and what's wrong, I don't like people implying I'm a redneck because I choose to think for myself and go outside the norm and do what no one else is doing, as stated before just sticking a v8 in a car and taking off isn't redneck it's assanine, but hey it's your life. For the record I wish I could get Foxworthy in my lt1 300zx so I could make him shit himself.