The thing a lot of people don't realize with the electric car is what's going to happen to electricity costs ? we already have rolling blackouts here in California during the summer when everybody runs the AC full blast.What's it going to be like when a million cars need to be charged daily ? when demand soars for something the price usually soars with it.Gasoline is a perfect example of that.Using solar is a great way to get free electricity but you're going to need a lot of output to charge a car.

Uh... it ain't free, nor is wind or hydro.

Say you need 30Kw hours to recharge an electric car for driving 100 miles. The Nissan leaf is around this amount. Likely driving to work is at most under 50 miles a day round trip. So 15Kwh of recharge a day. "Free' sunlight is about 1,000 watts per sq meter. But with efficiency and what not of solar panels say 15% that's 150 watts per square meter. 20 sq meters is 3,000 watts or 3Kwh for 5 hours a day is 15Kwh stored (I assume that batteries are also not that efficient but you should have 8 hrs of daylight a day, right? for covering inefficiencies) 

Solar panels are about $3 per watt to buy.

Electricity is about $0.12 / Kwh. Or $1.80 a day

• Like 1
  • Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh... it ain't free, nor is wind or hydro.

Say you need 30Kw hours to recharge an electric car for driving 100 miles. The Nissan leaf is around this amount. Likely driving to work is at most under 50 miles a day round trip. So 15Kwh of recharge a day. "Free' sunlight is about 1,000 watts per sq meter. But with efficiency and what not of solar panels say 15% that's 150 watts per square meter. 20 sq meters is 3,000 watts or 3Kwh for 5 hours a day is 15Kwh stored (I assume that batteries are also not that efficient but you should have 8 hrs of daylight a day, right? for covering inefficiencies) 

Solar panels are about $3 per watt to buy.

Electricity is about $0.12 / Kwh. Or $1.80 a day

Ok,my solar system isn't producing "free" electricity yet.When my investment for solar pays itself off 3 years from now it will be.Not sure about your stats on KW hours for charging a car but if you're even close an electric car will be very very expensive to charge.My solar system generates between 20 and 30 kw a day and my usage on the meter is close to 0 kw.An electric car would use all of my production to charge.My electric bill would go back to what it was before solar was installed.

20-30Kwh is pretty high demand! Must be AC? And pool? I believe you live in CA, is that right? Id guess 5.5psh zone. Standard efficiency panels would be about 22-24 panels covering a little more than 400sf. Some roofs would be maxed out, but many could go larger. Average daily US drive distance is 33 miles. That's about 15kwh/day. So 3-4 solar electric panels. $3500. 20yr life expectancy, so $3.65/week. If you had a gas car with 35mpg efficiency, you'd pay $25/week. 7 times as much. EV's have shown a significant reduction in service needs. But that evens out with the battery replacement. EV's cost more. That's the big issue currently. If you spend $10,0000 more for the EV, it will take 8-9 years to even out. Works for me.

20-30Kwh is pretty high demand! Must be AC? And pool? I believe you live in CA, is that right? Id guess 5.5psh zone. Standard efficiency panels would be about 22-24 panels covering a little more than 400sf. Some roofs would be maxed out, but many could go larger. Average daily US drive distance is 33 miles. That's about 15kwh/day. So 3-4 solar electric panels. $3500. 20yr life expectancy, so $3.65/week. If you had a gas car with 35mpg efficiency, you'd pay $25/week. 7 times as much. EV's have shown a significant reduction in service needs. But that evens out with the battery replacement. EV's cost more. That's the big issue currently. If you spend $10,0000 more for the EV, it will take 8-9 years to even out. Works for me.

That 20 to 30 kwh is panel output per day.Obviously the summer months are at the higher end.Yes on the AC,pretty much runs 24/7 during hottest days of summer.The winter time is when i catch up and generate far more electricity than i use.15 panels at 5.1 kw output.I owed the electric company a hundred bucks this year due to a very rainy winter.

• Like 1

The thing a lot of people don't realize with the electric car is what's going to happen to electricity costs ? we already have rolling blackouts here in California during the summer when everybody runs the AC full blast.What's it going to be like when a million cars need to be charged daily ? when demand soars for something the price usually soars with it.Gasoline is a perfect example of that.Using solar is a great way to get free electricity but you're going to need a lot of output to charge a car.

It isn't convenient to talk about this, another question to address is the grid and the fact that it is already running at capacity and in need of massive upgrades, who's going to pay for this?

• Like 2

It isn't convenient to talk about this, another question to address is the grid and the fact that it is already running at capacity and in need of massive upgrades, who's going to pay for this?

The people that use the electricity are going to pay for it.Easy money for the power companies.There are no power companies losing money,everything they need for maintenance and improvements gets passed on to the consumer.A big reason i got out from under their control.

• Like 2

Terror attack horror in Canada as driver with ISIS flag deliberately rams pedestrians

Several have been left injured after the driver smashed through a barricade before jumping from his vehicle and repeatedly stabbing a police officer.

Several have been left injured following a terror attack in Canada.

A car was deliberately driven at pedestrians outside an American football game in Edmonton.

The motorist drive at 'high speed' towards a police checkpoint outside the game.

He crashed through the barricade and hit a police officer sending him flying 15ft into the air.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/terror-attack-horror-canada-driver-11268739.amp

• Like 1

Terror attack horror in Canada as driver with ISIS flag deliberately rams pedestrians

Several have been left injured after the driver smashed through a barricade before jumping from his vehicle and repeatedly stabbing a police officer.

A car was deliberately driven at pedestrians outside an American football game in Edmonton.

The motorist drive at 'high speed' towards a police checkpoint outside the game.

He crashed through the barricade and hit a police officer sending him flying 15ft into the air.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/terror-attack-horror-canada-driver-11268739.amp

giphy.gif

• Like 4

1/ If the power grid is maxed out then the users are at maximum.

2/ Power companies will be getting their maximum revenue.

3/ If millions of people go 'off the grid' why would they care? They can't be supplied anyway because 1/

This was a Canadian football game, in Canada, with Canadian teams of the CFL.  How can it be American?????

Efficiency % on solar panels and on battery storage is getting higher as time goes on.

Elon Musk's Tesla company is already making gains on efficiencies for these as are other inventors.

Battery storage of electricity in a country like AUS is already taking off,the whole "electricity demand/supply"  issue has been a hot topic here in the last few weeks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-27/massive-tesla-battery-to-power-logan-reservoir/8993474

Despite the nay sayers there a number of large scale projects happening,the largest being a Tesla battery storage facility in the state of South Australia,a hybrid system of solar,thermal,wind,coal,hydro and gas as sources is the smartest play so as to not have all eggs in one basket.

Solar and battery storage is in it's (delayed) infancy and of course LPG,CNG and coal will have to be the major contributors for the now.

In 2009,the then Minister for the Environment Peter Garrett (front man for the band Midnight Oil) reduced the rebate amount on a solar scheme - 

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/energy-smart/garrett-pulls-plug-on-solar-20090609-c28d.html

I do not have the press release link or page but do recall vividly his Ministerial Office press release stated that the scheme had been " too successful"  

• Like 1

This was a Canadian football game, in Canada, with Canadian teams of the CFL.  How can it be American?????

Because football, Mike, with a brown egg in the USA and Canada, is "American football", as opposed to football with a round ball everywhere else in the world.

• Like 2

Efficiency % on solar panels and on battery storage is getting higher as time goes on.

Elon Musk's Tesla company is already making gains on efficiencies for these as are other inventors.

Battery storage of electricity in a country like AUS is already taking off,the whole "electricity demand/supply"  issue has been a hot topic here in the last few weeks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-27/massive-tesla-battery-to-power-logan-reservoir/8993474

Despite the nay sayers there a number of large scale projects happening,the largest being a Tesla battery storage facility in the state of South Australia,a hybrid system of solar,thermal,wind,coal,hydro and gas as sources is the smartest play so as to not have all eggs in one basket.

Solar and battery storage is in it's (delayed) infancy and of course LPG,CNG and coal will have to be the major contributors for the now.

In 2009,the then Minister for the Environment Peter Garrett (front man for the band Midnight Oil) reduced the rebate amount on a solar scheme - 

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/energy-smart/garrett-pulls-plug-on-solar-20090609-c28d.html

I do not have the press release link or page but do recall vividly his Ministerial Office press release stated that the scheme had been " too successful"  

Let's just go back to the good ol' days and make the cars use replaceable packs and battery stations to replace gas stations :P

tyco-hi-jacker-6v-rc-car-remote_1_b9ea16

• Like 1

Like the GM electric car that was in SoCal on leases and then those leases were cancelled and only a few people paid the large sum to keep the car? (early/mid 90's)

Said car was very technically efficient and thus a threat to the oil companies IIRC.

No doubt efficiencies can be, and are are much higher. But only Elon Musk can afford them. We need affordable not pie in the sky for the rich.

Yeah,he keeps bringing that cost down on each car he's made so far.

The cost of cars when 1st introduced was HIGH and only the rich had them,now........ not so.

1/ If the power grid is maxed out then the users are at maximum.

2/ Power companies will be getting their maximum revenue.

3/ If millions of people go 'off the grid' why would they care? They can't be supplied anyway because 1/

To answer number 3,they care because they aren't making money off of people generating their own power.I no longer pay my supplier an average of $225 a month.$400 + in the summer.Start adding up all of those that went solar and it puts a little bit of a dent in profits.

Nevermind,somebody answered that one.

• Like 1

No doubt efficiencies can be, and are are much higher. But only Elon Musk can afford them. We need affordable not pie in the sky for the rich.

Oh... football!!!!

tenor.gif

So the model 3 at $35k-44k give or take, is unaffordable?  Not saying it's cheap, but lots of people spend that much and more for regular old daily drivers. Chevy bolt is $36k-41k?  Price is becoming much less of an issue.

• Like 2