• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Any body who has looked into relocating the battery into the trunk of a car has come across a basic problem.  It is difficult and expensive to send electricity long distances.

The same problem exists with electric power for homes, factories, offices and cities.   

Few people know there is a intertie electric line between Sylmar, California, and Celilo, Oregon.  The Columbia river has high flows in early summer, and can generate a lot of power then.  The pacific northwest is fairly warm in summer, does not need a of of power for heating, and has a excess of electricity, or used to.  In the summer, California needs power for air conditioning.   In the winter, California has an excess of power, and can send electricity to the northwest.   So there is an intertie between Sylmar, and Celilo, near The Dalles, in Oregon. 

But to send the electricity that distance, it is converted to approximately one million volts, Direct Current, not AC.

To get power from Texas, to California probably would require the same technology to be used, no matter how the power was generated.

• Like 1

Any body who has looked into relocating the battery into the trunk of a car has come across a basic problem.  It is difficult and expensive to send electricity long distances.

The same problem exists with electric power for homes, factories, offices and cities.   

Few people know there is a intertie electric line between Sylmar, California, and Celilo, Oregon.  The Columbia river has high flows in early summer, and can generate a lot of power then.  The pacific northwest is fairly warm in summer, does not need a of of power for heating, and has a excess of electricity, or used to.  In the summer, California needs power for air conditioning.   In the winter, California has an excess of power, and can send electricity to the northwest.   So there is an intertie between Sylmar, and Celilo, near The Dalles, in Oregon. 

But to send the electricity that distance, it is converted to approximately one million volts, Direct Current, not AC.

To get power from Texas, to California probably would require the same technology to be used, no matter how the power was generated.

Honestly....I did it to my dime....no issues, bad analogy :(

• Like 2

This oughta light the fuse on some unhinged bitches' collective tampons!

Canada to Mexico on NAFTA: you might be on your own

Canada will focus on preserving its U.S. trade ties during talks to renegotiate NAFTA and may not be able to help Mexico avoid being targeted by the Trump administration, Canadian government sources say.

"We love our Mexican friends. But our national interests come first and the friendship comes second," a source said on the sidelines of a cabinet retreat in Calgary, Alberta.

"The two are not mutually exclusive," the source added.

The comments are some of the starkest yet by Canadian officials, who are increasingly convinced Mexico will suffer the most damage from changes to the North American Free Trade Agreement.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday said he planned talks.......

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/ousivMolt/idUSKBN1582MV

At the rate The Donald keeps hitting Mexico, the Mexicans are going to build the wall begging him to stop.

3 major factories and nafta down the drain that in new revenue you could actually say Mexico has built the wall.

• Like 1

Actually, from my work in the energy industry, the big power is made at Energy Northwest's nuclear reactor. It produces exponentially more than the wind farms in Goldendale and ellensburg WA. The solar fields here are a joke. Seriously... the cost vs output for commercial solar fields is stupid. The damns are great but there is much more environmental damage.

The reactor generates so much energy the grid can't handle it and it has to be ground out. If you wanna solve the "energy crisis" they need a reactor in SoCal. You're right, a shitload of the energy is wasted on lousy transmission. Those electromagnetic fields around high voltage lines aren't free.

The US turned its back on nuclear energy about 30 years ago. For better or worse. Those things definitely produce the juice.

I did get a chance to observe a new piece of tech that uses the energy potential from thermal variations in each room of a house, to include the attic and crawl space, that manipulated the current by way of thermocouples to generate energy. They had a house in the tri-cities rigged up with it. The system was designed by kids at the local STEM school who'd partnered with engineers from several local companies. It nearly generated enough power to run the entire house when I looked at it last fall.

The patent was... regretfully purchased by a division of Exxon Mobil... so I doubt we'll be seeing it commercially available.

The kids however were making remote operated drones using the tech that generated enough energy they could remain continuously airborne until component failure.

• Like 2

Wrong? As stated, all states that border Texas have great renewable resources. As in, why the fuck would you build a wind or solar farm in Texas, to power California, instead of building the same thing IN California bypassing the most expensive transmission wall in history, while taking advantage of California's awesome renewable energy tax credits as well as getting paid more per kWh produced by avoiding taxes and transmission fees. Wind farms, same exact story.

Why the fuck wouldn't you build a solar or wind farm in California? Easy answer genius...property value and taxes are vastly higher in California than Texas. Also, the wall would be there after the one time tax credit ends in 2020. The yearly property tax on a piece of land over less than a decade would wipe out the ''awesome'' tax credit. And how, pray the fuck tell is anyone going to avoid taxes in California...the most taxed state in the nation.

• Like 1

Why the fuck wouldn't you build a solar or wind farm in California? Easy answer genius...property value and taxes are vastly higher in California than Texas. Also, the wall would be there after the one time tax credit ends in 2020. The yearly property tax on a piece of land over less than a decade would wipe out the ''awesome'' tax credit. And how, pray the fuck tell is anyone going to avoid taxes in California...the most taxed state in the nation.

Land cost and property taxes together account for less than .25 cents per kWh amortized over 25 years in Hawaii. So let's say Texas desert is half the cost of a California desert. And let's assume a California desert is 25% of the cost of land in Hawaii. That's half of .03 cents per kWh wholesale. Do you presume this savings would not be spent in line loss alone? Not to even consider line maintenance as well as any lease agreements on the transmission path. Even if the Great Wall of Donald made transmission free, it wouldn't pan out. By the way, the tax credit is all used in the first three years, so no worries there, as they can backfile to the previous year, or file for rebate in leu of credit. There is no way it pans out. California desert land is cheap. That is why there are more than 25 times as much solar farms currently in California.

I'm really not opposed to creative thinking on the energy industry, but transmission is the very first thing any industry planner tries to avoid.

NuScale Has developed a small modular reactor that can use the waste from current plants.

Plant built in Idaho(with these new modular units) but the approval process keeps them off line until at least 2026.

Yeah, so I work in the nuke industry... those modular plants were put together to deal with power grid failures. I would love to get my filthy mitts on one. Use it to power vitrification of liquid and substrate tank waste in WA,ID, and NM... you'd be printing your own money and cleaning up the environment.

• Like 2

Another one for you, Paradime!

https://youtu.be/T1Kq6EX79TY

Actually if a feminist wants to make EXACTLY the same pay as her male counterparts... enlist. The US military was among the pioneers of "equal pay". 15-16 years ago when I was in, the got exactly the same living conditions, food, pay, housing and assignments I did in my final field.

• Like 1