little miss. to-do list pg 38 and first post

hobospyder

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, this girl is parked again, makes me sad because I was enjoying driving her. Drivers side axle is leaking from outboard side of the bearing cage, I have already contacted the mechanic (read texted) who pressed them in for me. Don't feel like risking the axle coming out whike I'm driving.

What about the seal in the axle housing? I could be mistaken on this, but isn't the rear bearing held captive in grease between the outer seal in the bearing assembly and the axle seal in the axle housing? I haven't even thought or investigated this other than seeing there's a seal in the axle housing as well. 

• Like 1

i think you're right... pictures to prove it? 

either way, can't be hurting anything and not causing the current issue

Sorry, I didn't take pics. But your original pic shows that the bearing flange and the axle housing flange against each other.

Though perhaps the spacer does reduce axle spline engagement. I remember a bunch of shims in there, so that distance must be specific for whatever reason. Check the manual.  

• Like 1

I haven't forgot to ask about jack stick,,, he just hasn't been over in a couple days ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so why change that.

I am almost positive he has something you need.

go with wheel chocks instead. i'll have the jack handle and lug wrench and bag on monday. sorry i get impatient

• Like 1

What about the seal in the axle housing? I could be mistaken on this, but isn't the rear bearing held captive in grease between the outer seal in the bearing assembly and the axle seal in the axle housing? I haven't even thought or investigated this other than seeing there's a seal in the axle housing as well. 

all the seals are in

mechanic will be here to look at it this weekend to figure out what went wrong. 

Sorry, I didn't take pics. But your original pic shows that the bearing flange and the axle housing flange against each other.

Though perhaps the spacer does reduce axle spline engagement. I remember a bunch of shims in there, so that distance must be specific for whatever reason. Check the manual.  

the shims are in there with the spacers and the axle spline engagement is what was being considered when i was questioning them. make sure you get the shims put back in in the same side you took them out of. 

• Like 1

I don't think you needed those spacers you made. The backing plate is not between the bearing housing and the axle housing. If it were, you'd have been able to remove it before pressing the bearing out. I just went through this exercise last night. 

this was correct, the spacers i made have been removed and it's not moving in and out anymore

found out that my mechanic put the seals in backwards when we put them in and those were tore up from the axle banging around in them, replaced seals the proper way this time

removed spacers, axles are holding up. will probably drive my white truck to work tomorrow if i don't ride. went for a somewhat spirited drive after getting the axles back together, got home and realized i should take care of the rear axle having leaked fluid before the spirited drive which is why it'll be a different vehicle tomorrow (or at least until i get the rear axle taken care of

20160403_160832.jpg

20160403_164006.jpg

20160403_164119.jpg

and one of my ugly mug

20160403_160532.jpg

• Like 5

The leak was because the spacers  were so ugly and the truck didn't even like them. I think I remember telling you that they weren't needed, but I do everything half assed, so nobody listens to me anyway   :angel:

• Like 1

The leak was because the spacers were so ugly and the truck didn't even like them. I think I remember telling you that they weren't needed, but I do everything half assed, so nobody listens to me anyway :angel:

You guys hear something?.....

• Like 6

Glad you're getting it sorted out!

Me too, I love driving this truck

The leak was because the spacers  were so ugly and the truck didn't even like them. I think I remember telling you that they weren't needed, but I do everything half assed, so nobody listens to me anyway   :angel:

I remember something about the shims and making sure that they were back in there and then I started over thinking and not looking hard enough

That's a sweet truck, glad you got it worked out.

Thanks, me too

You guys hear something?.....

just airplane building and construction noises
  • Like 3