Revival of the Chickenhawk...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

The wheels Tim recently bought for this had an issue fitting the car. There is this weird step lip inside the center bore that was keeping it from seating all the way onto the hub. We considered a few different options like spacers (pushes the wheel out too far) and having a machine shop remove it (they are all scared to modify wheels), and I had a wacky idea. I have an old Bosch router at home that is sort of on its last legs, and a few cheapish flush trim bits, so I figured why not? 😁

And yes, I tried it on a piece of scrap aluminum first...

20211101_182804.jpg.83a8331daa0d2c957d0c75045e0fc76e.jpg20211101_182817.jpg.b9b47f2b1fa2775696697e788cd4b221.jpg

It worked out surprisingly well. Just had to go slow and be super careful. Will try to test fit it on the car tomorrow, but my confidence level is high. 👍

Main debate now is to do this to just 2 wheels, or do all 4. The rears won't have this issue, so...

YOU DID WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Just kidding.  I knew this was happening.  I also think all four is the way to go, but I'm not the one listening to a router squeal away at the metal.  And, of course, 225s on the rear really makes my dingle tingle, so doing only two is acceptable as well.  Wheel discuss it tomorrow.

• Haha 1

Because I'm me, I went tire shopping this morning.  Well, whodathunkit?  The Geolandars in 235/70-15 are actually a wee bit cheaper than in 225/70-15.  They're 1" taller than the 215s on the front, so we would be introducing 1/2" of rake... which I'm ok with!  I'm voting "In for a penny, in for a pound" on the rears!  Tire discuss it this evening... oh wait.  I guess that doesn't work like the "wheel/we'll" synonym joke.

• Like 2

Current flow is the same in all parts of a closed circuit. So switch to ground or switching power to fans will be the same. Relay can be before or after the fans to ground them but the fuse must be as close to the battery as you can get it.

The sensor in the rad should turn the relay on. This is a minor amount of power needed to trip the relay. The relay's job is to handle the high current load of the fan(s) when switched on. I have a 40 or 50 amp fuse supplying power from the battery through the relay to the fans using 12 gauge wires. 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Current flow is the same in all parts of a closed circuit. So switch to ground or switching power to fans will be the same. Relay can be before or after the fans to ground them but the fuse must be as close to the battery as you can get it.

Yeah, we are probably going to have to run a couple of wires from the relay to the switch, so the switch triggers the relay. 

20 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Yeah, we are probably going to have to run a couple of wires from the relay to the switch, so the switch triggers the relay. 

Nope.  If the sensor fails, the fan will be rewired to come on with the ignition and run constantly.  Then the sensor will either get replaced with that plug I stole from the other VW radiator, or sit there in the bottom of this radiator, thinking about what it has done. 

• Haha 1
On 11/3/2021 at 9:44 PM, dimlight65 said:

And now I'm going to order one more 215 and two 235s!  Oh, and a set of "Tuna" lug nuts, whatever the hell THAT means.

The 235s, as John mentioned the other day, are mounted and ready.

The second 215 and the "Tuna" lug nuts are in the van.

Also, there is a set of Solex Locks for the doors and trunk in the van... all the way from Austrailia!

• Like 1

Tim decided to revise the front end lighting a bit...

20211110_191703.jpg.321742e8d5b755a1d690dbd7a37d1499.jpg

And all the wiring for those completed, with weatherproof connectors. This will be tidied up a bit after paint...

20211110_191712.jpg.0a75e47ad53955097877c604d0aa7609.jpg

Put some weatherproof connectors on the front turn signals too...

20211110_192451.jpg.04560f4a3296106d22591d400a545a46.jpg

Tim's new door locks...

20211110_191733.jpg.6ac760649d991be596f002b035625515.jpg

And some new aluminium hood pins to replace the old crusty steel ones...

20211110_191739.jpg.f429609659893f6746acd25870f38ab0.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Where do I find those barrel style keys and locks? 

We usually get them off ebay. Just search "Solex lock set". Be aware they make them with both barrel keys and regular keys. 

They fit a Datsun relatively easy, just need to file one of the notches about 1mm wider and they go right in. 👍

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

We usually get them off ebay. Just search "Solex lock set". Be aware they make them with both barrel keys and regular keys. 

They fit a Datsun relatively easy, just need to file one of the notches about 1mm wider and they go right in. 👍

Yeah I seem to only find the tradition dual cam key style vs the barrel tumbler.

14 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Yeah I seem to only find the tradition dual cam key style vs the barrel tumbler.

Sho'nuff...

Seems everyone is sold out right now. More supply chain bullshit? Their website still lists them so I am sure they still make them. 

Probably either need to wait until an ebay seller restocks, or do some digging for another vendor. Sorry for the wild goose chase. 😋

14 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Did a search by part number (Solex 1300GTX locks) and a few sets come up, some cheaper than ebay...

http://www.2040-parts.com/solex-3-door-lock-cylinder-set-universal-fit-security-safety-round-key-barrel-i2119390/

Amazon lists them as currently out of stock, but that could change any time...

https://www.amazon.ca/Solex-Cylinder-Universal-Security-Safety/dp/B01J1ZBGW0

If you're not in a huge rush, I would just keep checking ebay and amazon. They are bound to pop up soon...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

what are the chances, im looking into changing my locks.

i would assume general model nissan style would fit but just want to make sure... https://www.ebay.com/itm/154657259172 

3 hours ago, CEAZERKHAN said:

what are the chances, im looking into changing my locks.

i would assume general model nissan style would fit but just want to make sure... https://www.ebay.com/itm/154657259172 

Those should work fine. You just need a really small square file to open up one of the slots in the door lock opening when you put them in. 

Get a wee file like this...

317Kj2BCjgL._AC_.jpg

Then, one of these locating thingies is too wide for the stock groove. You just need to widen the groove a bit on the door...

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a896c249a01f34a29251e3ca8484f114.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...