Revival of the Chickenhawk...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

It seems like any one of those calipers would be sufficient for the entire car 😁

Yes, but after fading the the brakes on this car sooooo many times in the past, I want "Mondo Ultra Super Mega Over Kill" brakes!

On 8/30/2021 at 1:08 PM, Lockleaf said:

It seems like any one of those calipers would be sufficient for the entire car 😁

Holy crap!  They showed up at the shop today!  And as the bishop said to the actress, "I had no idea they were THAT huge!"

• Like 1

Speed hole covers installed. I am really digging these...

20210901_185839.jpg.51c74bc43480e85cf430a472193a21e7.jpg

Also put another coat of POR15 on the floor in some key spots, and went over the roll bar again. Did not take photos because it still mostly looks like it did before...  😁

And we put a coat of POR15 on the fuel tank mount box thingy. Did not take photos because... I forgot...  😁

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

What size rims are you guys running on this again?  Are you going with some custom setup Wilwood hats and small diameter rotors for those calipers or how are you setting it up?

The wheels we have now are 14" Western or Shelby (or some other make, I'm not even sure!) turbines.  I believe we're going to try and re-drill some Toyota '86 rotors (because that's the sauce of the calipers)... but now you have me worried about wheel clearance.  To make a short story long... I don't know at this time.

1 hour ago, dimlight65 said:

The wheels we have now are 14" Western or Shelby (or some other make, I'm not even sure!) turbines.  I believe we're going to try and re-drill some Toyota '86 rotors (because that's the sauce of the calipers)... but now you have me worried about wheel clearance.  To make a short story long... I don't know at this time.

What's the source of your sauce ?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Are you going with some custom setup Wilwood hats and small diameter rotors for those calipers or how are you setting it up?

Most likely 280ZX rotors (10"), but we may try the 86 rotors (11.4") as Tim said.

I did a mockup previously with an 11" rotor and Brembos and it just cleared with the 14" turbine wheel, so I am confident it will be okay with a 10" rotor. The clearance issues with Wilwoods and Brembos is less about outside diameter, and more about how the caliper tends to stick out past the wheel mounting face. So your wheels need to have clearance on the back side of the spokes.

I think the fix for that will be mounting the rotors further away from the wheel, thus moving the calipers back away from the backside of the wheel.

If this doesn't make sense to you, it will when we start actually trying to mount this stuff. 😋

Also we considered switching to 15" rims for more clearance, but we cannot find an off-road tire for a 15" wheel that is smaller than 27" in dimeter. The current tires are 25.5" diameter and are about as big as we can run without even more fender chopping. 

Edited by datsunfreak

What you guys said makes perfect sense, I'm just surprised a stock '86 rotor would clear anything smaller than a 15.

I get what you mean about backside of wheel clearance.  I had a TT 300z parts car sitting on some subaru rims when I was younger, and my parents decided to push it farther out of the way.  The rim shaved the embossed NISSAN right off the front calipers..... 😄 

I'm interested to see how you build the caliper brackets.

1 hour ago, Lockleaf said:

I'm just surprised a stock '86 rotor would clear anything smaller than a 15.

To be honest, if it works, I'll be surprised too...  😄

The 11" rotor just barely cleared, and I don't think there's another 1/4" to spare. So we either need to make these work on 10-11" rotors, or switch to a bigger wheel. I know you can fit 15s on the 86 brakes, so...

Ah, now I understand the e-mail I got from John about the Geolandar tires.  I am not married to the 14" turbines (we're kind of exclusive, but haven't gone before a judge/preacher), so stepping up to a 15" or 16" is not out of the question.  In my opinion though, the Geolandars are a tad too conservative in the tread department, but I'm afeared beggars can't be choosy.  So, a set of "Open Concept" 16" wheels with the Geolandars are something I could be talked into.

Edited by dimlight65
Sidewall says "Geolandar" not "Geolander"

So we are at a stopping point on the interior, due to us needing to make a final decision on what the top coat will be, so we decided today was the day the doors would go on a diet...

Step 1, decided where to cut...

20210904_105336.jpg.fab6cdee25c5ad04e8879d10982ecd3c.jpg

We were kinda stuck on how to cut those round corners, then realized a 4" hole saw could do it...

20210904_110729.jpg.ac8650af6346a7d02116a8ce70ccd3f7.jpg

Then got to cutting in earnest...

20210904_111104.jpg.b18bc60ff90085bf02ae0f0625383077.jpg

20210904_111529.jpg.c807dedfb5b1a522e20e376861912c91.jpg

The toughest bit turned out to be removing the brace that holds up the vent window frame...

20210904_122338.jpg.bda08f15ef530fc717d0b942fd00c897.jpg

As it sits now...

20210904_122345.jpg.d57f7b090676497db600e816ca43c51b.jpg

Needless to say I think we removed at least half the weight of the door. Now on to do it all again...  😁

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

On the tires thing. 

UTV's and side by sides run 14"s and have a wide range of tire selection. 

81C5EQOwLWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Can get all sorts of funky 😄

819E38Zb7cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Interesting, but:  A) All of them that I found were too tall (over 26") and 2) We may to have to step up to 15s or 16s to clear the calipers

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

On the tires thing. 

UTV's and side by sides run 14"s and have a wide range of tire selection. 

5 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Interesting, but:  A) All of them that I found were too tall (over 26") and 2) We may to have to step up to 15s or 16s to clear the calipers

And 3, most are not speed rated for freeway use, not load rated for this heavy a car, and often not DOT legal. 

This was an avenue we considered at one point. 😁

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2