• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Wh... what... other way COULD one mean that?  🤔

It could be the hipster-wannabe Metroplex area gourmet coffee drinking, Coldplay listening, handlebar moustache wearing, man-bun kinda way.

However, the above could never tig weld, and would probably be driving a Vespa around town...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So... anyone have a rear sway bar for a '79-'84 200SX?  The little rubber "figure 8" doohickies and clamps would be awesome as well.  We can't seem to locate ours and I'm willing to pay Bottom Dollar for it/them!

• Haha 1

It was decided that the doors in their current state were just a bit too "floppy". They could be easily flexed in either direction by 1/2", and there's no way they would shut well...

We cussed and discussed ways to fix it and decided to attempt to make an x-brace for the door to see if that would stiffen it up enough. We got some thin wall steel pipe and set about making two braces to go from corner to corner. Made one brace...

20211229_180429.jpg.70b7efef0fd9d08de61bddf338ad1a24.jpg

It was at this point we said "I wonder how much stiffer it got after just one brace?". As it turns out, one thin brace is enough to make the door rock solid.  👍

So, needless to say, we stopped there... 😋

20211229_180357.jpg.93e3f53a17d14127aba844ca68b910be.jpg

We bolted it up and Tim copped a squat in the car to see if was also enough to make it easier to close. It is.  😁

We also painted the pedals and installed some new pads on them...

20211229_165205.jpg.28101a7dfb332fa4cba6bcd701368016.jpg

Pedals should go in on Saturday... 👍

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the new master cylinders in last night, with a plan developed for clutch line construction/routing. We originally had a braided stainless line straight from the clutch master to the slave, and will probably replicate that...

20220112_174012.jpg.2426448423724ff4a88ea0d301322e0d.jpg

We also got the pedals installed, but wasted almost an hour looking for the damn springs that hold them up to no avail. Will get some new springs for those before Saturday...

• Like 1

Also, if you're curious, 7/8" brake master for a 240Z, and clutch master/slave for an A10/HL-510. That is what was on there before (with 1200 push rods), so that's what we went with again. The math says the 7/8" 240Z master should be big enough for the Brembos, and it's a straight bolt-in for a 1200 👍.  

We did end up taking the brake master back off again because we think a heat shield would be prudent, so we are going to make one of those for it after we double check header clearance. At this time, we are not 100% sure the header will go in/out with the master installed, so the header may need to get installed first. 

Edited by datsunfreak
shinfo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

We originally had a braided stainless line straight from the clutch master to the slave, and will probably replicate that...

I envision braided steel for all the lines... except the long run under the car to the rear brakes.

• Like 1

After much cussing and fussing, we finally got the pedal springs sorted out...

20220115_120006.jpg.0fbba04cb610da080af9efd754b750c6.jpg

Whilst doing that, the door was fighting me a bit so we decided to go ahead and take it back off for now. The first time we put it on, it was a bit of a faff, so we decided studs and nuts would be better than trying to blindly install bolts in the hinges while also holding up the door. The bolts were inserted backwards to become studs. This should make putting it back on later infinitely easier...

20220115_103617.jpg.3e220bbcb42c3f73a658545523ec6172.jpg

We cleaned up and painted (it was quite crusty) the old brake master push rod and Tim got that installed...

20220115_125653.jpg.1c48e0756a5f60e5ea3c6cb460978a05.jpg

We also were having a look at the hose routing for the catch can and realized the lower pipe was way too big, so we took it out and Tim welded in a debiggener for it...

20220115_131033.jpg.e790ef70319c9a47a3b90afb24db065b.jpg

• Like 2
On 1/13/2022 at 9:03 AM, dimlight65 said:

I envision braided steel for all the lines... except the long run under the car to the rear brakes.

Ok, so my vision is a go... INCLUDING the long run to the rear brakes.

And just let me state for the record, "Sheeeeeeee-it!  That much -3AN steel braided line, and all the necessary fittings, are expensive as fuuuuuuuuuk!"

Edited by dimlight65
Reasons
  • Like 1

"In for a penny, in for a pound" as they say.  I sprung for Next Day Air "Saver" shipping, thinking that the order would process tomorrow and I'd have the stuff Wednesday.  Well, apparently one of the perks of paying for NDA shipping is someone stays after 5:00, fills, and then ships your order!  I should have all of the hardware tomorrow!

Oh, by the way, the NDA shipping was the second LEAST expensive item on the invoice!

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 1

Made a little bracket to mount the rear brake bias adjuster here, where you can easily reach it whilst hooning... 👍

bias.jpg.1f6c03d53327f409a455bacde33eb749.jpg

Got the fittings sorted for the bottom of the brake master...

655097790_masterbottom.jpg.2619d2ff45f5d8d54aa5e60992112152.jpg

And the clutch master...

650449470_clutchmaster.jpg.26ef0167b3fb607b1fa8db791fe1214e.jpg

Clutch master line will loop back around and go to the clutch (natch), rear brake line will loop around and go to here, on the firewall...

bulkhead.jpg.0eceda13f0afd38f3c53a4a0c4b0a14f.jpg

The front brake line from the master will go to here (and another bracket made) and be split out to the front wheels. The forward facing hose goes straight down to the left wheel, the rear facing hose will loop around with the others to drop down to the right wheel...

302827756_bigt.jpg.41b1366e53aee764a7e4051a7bd26874.jpg

With everything mapped out, it's now just down to cutting hose and installing fittings. Hopefully should get a good chunk of that done next time. 👌

• Like 1
8 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Side note, another reason we wanted to do it this way instead of solid lines, is to make it easier to run the lines inside the car instead of outside👍

FIFY.  Hard lines are a huge (or at least huger than braided IMO) pain in the ass!

4 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

FIFY.  Hard lines are a huge (or at least huger than braided IMO) pain in the ass!

With a GOOD flare tool, they're not too bad.  With a cheapie flaring tool, ooph!  My achin' ass..  🙂

The newest stuff looks badass. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Duncan said:

With a GOOD flare tool, they're not too bad.  With a cheapie flaring tool, ooph!  My achin' ass..  🙂

I think for Tim, it's less about making the flares and more about bending them to the right shape and making it look nice?

We have no pattern to trace since we are taking a different route than the factory did. It would take a lot longer to do, for no real gain (other than cost). 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

We have no pattern to trace since we are taking a different route than the factory did. It would take a lot longer to do, for no real gain (other than cost). 

I did the same on my wagon, and I totally get it.  I wasn't in a terrible hurry, though.

• Like 1