Revival of the Chickenhawk...

24 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

I've seen UTV tires on Gambler 500 cars every year.

They bring spares and never seem to ever have to use them.,

Again, people do really unsafe shit all the time. 😄

I really feel a lot of those UTV tires would be extremely unsafe on asphalt. Their lateral grip level would have to be very low...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

And 3, most are not speed rated for freeway use, not load rated for this heavy a car, and often not DOT legal. 

This was an avenue we considered at one point. 😁

I was going to mention this myself, but was willing to overlook it because, as you say, we did consider it at one point.

1 hour ago, Mattndew76 said:

Light Truck tires are just fine for the Chicken Hawk. Toyo makes a decent set of off-road treads. Open Country MT and they come in R15" 

Agreed, if we can find some smaller than 26" diameter.

Falken Winterpeak F-Ice 1 Tires | 1010Tires.com Online Tire Store

If the picture shows up, this guy (Falken Winterpeak F-Ice-1) has a real "European Rally Car" vibe that I like, comes in a 195/65-15 (25" inflated diameter), and is cheap! 

They are not as aggressive as I'd like but, they are more aggressive than the winter tires we put on the Subaru in an attempt at "Rally Car Tires." 

I don't like all the sipes in the tread but, beggars can't be choosy.

I acknowledge that winter tires, in Texas, in the summer, are monumentally stupid and will wear out quickly but, THEY ARE CHEAP!

I'm just waiting for John to approve/disapprove before I... don't buy a set because I don't have any damned money.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2021 at 7:17 PM, dimlight65 said:

Falken Winterpeak F-Ice 1 Tires | 1010Tires.com Online Tire Store

If the picture shows up, this guy (Falken Winterpeak F-Ice-1) has a real "European Rally Car" vibe that I like, comes in a 195/65-15 (25" inflated diameter), and is cheap! 

They are not as aggressive as I'd like but, they are more aggressive than the winter tires we put on the Subaru in an attempt at "Rally Car Tires." 

I don't like all the sipes in the tread but, beggars can't be choosy.

I acknowledge that winter tires, in Texas, in the summer, are monumentally stupid and will wear out quickly but, THEY ARE CHEAP!

I'm just waiting for John to approve/disapprove before I... don't buy a set because I don't have any damned money.

Pending John's approval, and while I'm spending money I don't have, I want to fill those tires with these wheels:

MST Wheels Time Attack - Cosmic Purple Rim

But these are also a front runner:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiOQFfQgpdhf3fSMzQ0-I_PsKUl9rZ2u-sOft4oZZFA7W4ZmoL_YMmP19n4CFuM2efMHeZfccIKGOYLeZv0ygd25R_5KQRrZn0fwzn23bSZSs-U-hWVER3CA&usqp=CAE

And yes, if we decide on these, I will totally lie and say they are Work Equip!

Aaaaaaand discuss!

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

I was 3/4 of the way through ordering the Volk decals, when I noticed the time in shipping.  I looked back at the listing to see they are coming from Chi-na. 

We are doing this even if I have to buy them myself.

Which I just did. 

They'll be here on Monday. 

😈

s-l1600.jpg.524222a5ad15450803b22cb5d5ba4e75.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
8 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Hopefully we will be rhino-lining the front half of the inside on Saturday...

After that, the dash goes in and I finish wiring!  I'm getting excited! 😃

On a downer note though, those bitchin' purple wheels are still waiting to ship.  I'm bummed. ☹️

A) Many thanks to John for doing all the work on the floor.  It really does look awesome!

2) I think I have decided against the Falken snow tires in favor of going MUCH deeper in debt for a set of these:

GENERAL® GRABBER A/TX WITH WHITE LETTERING Tires

More aggressive all terrain tread, and 225s ought to fit a 15x8 better.

And since the car (at least the rear end) would float on the 195/60-14 tires I used to run, it will probably be amphibious with these!

Edited by dimlight65
On 9/6/2021 at 5:29 PM, Mattndew76 said:

Light Truck tires are just fine for the Chicken Hawk. Toyo makes a decent set of off-road treads. Open Country MT and they come in R15" 

And, we're obviously going to force a set of 27.4" tires to fit.  Apologies for my previous, snarky reply to this post.

• Like 1

I knew there was going to be a lot of fabrication work to make the brakes fit.  I really should not be upset that the wheels (which are ever so much MORE bitchin' in person!) do not bolt right on.  We have a plan (or two [or three]) in mind.  We're going to make it work.  I'm just being a whiny little bitch about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In between playing with wheels, rotors, and calipers, we did get a few things done...

E-brake and switch box permanently installed. Tim made a nifty metal plate with captured nuts in it that goes inside the tunnel and these bolt through that for ease of install/removal...

20210922_190418.jpg.db05d5368d31761f16e7a5c9507d6011.jpg

Also installed this bulkhead connector to connect part of the dash loom to the engine bay loom. the main loom for lights/fan/etc will go through the hole underneath that. 

20210922_190433.jpg.c47aaca5e7cbd00946b05994f28e742f.jpg

• Like 1

I got quite a lot done today.  Of course, I'm incapable of posting pictures so you'll have to go to my Instant Grams to see what I did... which was:

I mounted up some tow/tie-down rings front and rear.  Right now they are bare stainless, but after the tool handle dip arrives, they will be a rubbery resplendent red.  So, horizontal or vertical?

Then, I decided that I didn't like the big gap and floppy door thingy on the heater box that we converted into the air filter housing.  I treated it to some fiberglass.  This I did not post on the Instant Grams because the pictures were terrible, even for me!

After that, I got to work on some wiring.  First, I built one end of the cable which goes from the master-kill to the starter.  Then I built one end of the cable which goes from the battery to the master-kill.  These I bolted to the master-kill and semi routed.  After posting that set of pictures, I found another cable "foreskin" and decided to make the other end of the cable from the MK to the starter.  This one included the main power lead going to the dash.  No pictures of that either though.

And since it was still light out, and not too hot, I got tucked in to one of the engine bay harnesses.  I wired the disconnect to the relays, park lights, and turn signals, as well as the main power lead to the relays.

Then, my "internet girlfriend" (AKA an Instagram THOT) started messaging me wanting attention, so I went home.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Then, I decided that I didn't like the big gap and floppy door thingy on the heater box that we converted into the air filter housing.  I treated it to some fiberglass.  This I did not post on the Instant Grams because the pictures were terrible, even for me!

And after I typed that, I began thinking about the snorkel thingy I bought but we decided against using because we lacked an inline air filter.  Yes, you guessed it.  I bought an inline air filter from Chi-na off of Amazon.  Should be here tomorrow.  We'll revisit the snorkel on Wednesday.  Stay tuned... or don't.  I ain't your momma.

• Like 1

We did revisit the snorkel today... and decided to go with the converted heater box after all.  I had it all worked out how I was going to install the snorkel topper, run the hose, get through the scuttle into the cockpit, and connect to the pipe in the firewall which feeds the carb.  It was glorious.  It was beautiful.  It totally didn't include the damned inline air filter I just bought.  While I was showing it to john, and getting his take on the plan, was when I realized my mistake.  I acted like one of his suggestions talked me out of the snorkel, conveniently didn't mention to him my screw up, and said we would just go with the design we had in place already.  He shot a coat of black paint on the heater core and when it was "dry" we installed it.  

We also dipped the tow/tie-down eyes in red rubber... they look really nice too. 

Pictures on my instant grams of all that... or wait for John to post the ones he took.