Revival of the Chickenhawk...

While waiting for john this morning, I ran the signal wire from the tach to the engine bay harness.  Then he showed up so we went and did... a thing.  I will get back on this in earnest next week.  I promise... probably.

Edited by dimlight65
Added hyperlink to... a thing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has not been a good week, but we did meet today and I got some more wiring done.  I think once I have some more 12-10 gauge (yellow) butt splices, I can finish up the gauge light wiring and I'll be done... with the dash.  From there, I'll wire under the hood, down the floor to and from the switchbox, down the floor to the rear of the car, and up the steering column to the turn signal/brake light switches.

Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

From there, I'll wire under the hood, down the floor to and from the switchbox, down the floor to the rear of the car, and up the steering column to the turn signal/brake light switches.

Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Looking at it last night, it seems to be mostly all downhill once the dash is done. 

Famous last words...  😁

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 10:38 AM, datsunfreak said:

Looking at it last night, it seems to be mostly all downhill once the dash is done. 

Famous last words...  😁

On 6/18/2021 at 4:55 AM, KELMO said:

Downhill in a 1200.

This sounds  like a "best practice".

2 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Ok, so installing some "Go-Fast" goodies on the Smart took precedent over getting any work done on this project today.  Seriously, I am going to get back to work on this... um, soon?

Also my speed at working on my 1200

One-Eternity-Later-spongebob-elite-daily.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We made some tweaks to the fuel cell mounting bracket, and it should be going back into the car soon. We also rethought placement of said unit and needed to cut this bracket off...

20210703_115727.jpg.b9acb048cc3f08b6e6d872a1b16aa8b6.jpg

We did get a few things crossed off the list, but didn't really take any photos...   😄

• Like 2

I just got an e-mail from the guy in charge of the BNSF Family Day Car show.  Even after quitting that job in 2015, I still get invited to show one of my cars every year.  I would love to have this car ready to show, but I know me.  That's not likely. 

So, since the cutoff is 25 years, I might have to stretch the truth a bit and claim the Dajiban as a 1996 to show it.

• Like 1

Woo to the power of Hoo!  Nuts & bolts for mounting the fuel cell and seats as well as the butt splices for the wiring arrived from McMaster Carr yesterday.  I'll be getting some stuff done tomorrow!

• Like 1

Damn near double the original 10 gallon tank.

If you get, oh, lets say, 30 MPG.....the result is 510 miles.

I think you may have planned that...by accident.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, KELMO said:

Damn near double the original 10 gallon tank.

I think you may have planned that...by accident.

Uhh, yeah.  That was the plan all along.  It totally wasn't because it was the biggest tank I could find to fit in the space.

But seriously, if I remember correctly (which is highly doubtful), the best I managed in the original Chickenhawk (with this cammed Z-20, Weber 38/38, and four speed), was around 20 miles per gallon.

21 hours ago, KELMO said:

11 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

the best I managed in the original Chickenhawk (with this cammed Z-20, Weber 38/38, and four speed), was around 20 miles per gallon.

I think the best I've ever managed in any Datsun was 17.6...  😄

Well, we made some... progress?  I drug the 220 volt TIG welder into the room where the car resides.  I hooked it all up and made some attempts at zooking in the roll bar base plates.  To say that my welds were "Ass" would be an insult to asses.  I'm sure that a little more tinkering with settings and technique and I could have made it work.  But this we did not do.  Instead, we decided to see if the bottle of pure argon from the TIG would make the 110 volt MIG work better.  Hoo boy!  Did it ever!  Uuuuntil we popped a breaker.  A breaker in a different shop.  A breaker in a different shop, for which we did not have a key.  We called the owner of said shop and got access to the breaker.  With power back on, we did not attempt to continue.  It was decided that we would suck it up and buy a 220 volt MIG welder.  Then, in the shower after I got home, I had an epiphany!  I'll wire in a 110 breaker in the breaker box feeding 220 to the TIG!  It is a dedicated circuit that used to feed the 220 volt heaters in the shop, so the amperage should be fine.  And, since we will never use the two welders at the same time (famous last words), it should be the solution to our problem... and at least $600 cheaper than buying another welder. 

Of course, buying another welder does mean I get to buy another welder.  So there's that to consider.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1