Revival of the Chickenhawk...

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If just for that MadMax look, period correct is fine but your alternator and wiring won't like it. 

I think this is the real reason for the LED route if I recall correctly... 🙂

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 5 3/4 headlamps with all 4 HID. 55 watt HID with projector, cut off for 'low' beams and full 55 watt HID projector high beams. Still looks '76 but has about 8? 10? times the light. Fuck they are bright.

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

I have 5 3/4 headlamps with all 4 HID. 55 watt HID with projector, cut off for 'low' beams and full 55 watt HID projector high beams. Still looks '76 but has about 8? 10? times the light. Fuck they are bright.

I have LEDs that are very bright as well and draw even less.

On 8/1/2019 at 4:38 PM, dimlight65 said:

And as the actress said to the bishop, "Five inches looks so small!" 

I think what I need is something in the 7" range, but I'm going to give these a test fit to see how much too small they actually are.

Yeah, they are way too small... so, in the finest Dimlight Racing tradition, I've thrown even more money at a pair of 7" lights.  They ought to be here next week.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, The Taterhead said:

This might be a dumb question but would the 9” lights block too much air flow if they’re on top?

We considered that when we put them on there the first time.  Yes, I think they might block too much air which is why we hung them below.  I don't think the 7" lights I have now will be as much of a blockage even though they are only 2" smaller.  Hopefully we'll get a chance to grok it this weekend.  We didn't go to the shop Wednesday because one of us had to go and have a cardiac episode at work and his doctor told him to take it easy the rest of the day.  Psh, what a pussy!  

Ok, it was me, but I'm fine now.  It was just a little atrial fibrillation... or something like that.

A fib is fun. Specially when they cant figure out what's wrong and medication doesnt help. Dont let it go 24 hours without seeing a doc and you'll be fine. Hopefully they didnt have to shock you to get it back right, not fun, trust me. Good luck, dont overwork yourself, limit alcohol stress caffeine and nicotine (the big 4 causes for afib) and you should be fine

On 8/16/2019 at 4:10 PM, dimlight65 said:

Yes, I think they might block too much air which is why we hung them below.  I don't think the 7" lights I have now will be as much of a blockage even though they are only 2" smaller.  Hopefully we'll get a chance to grok it this weekend. 

large.20190817_134634.jpg.41901eb4da3b8d

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 8:23 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Plenty of air-flow I think. Needs some matching lights to go in the headlight buckets though.

They aren't exactly "matching" but I do have LED headlights for the thing.  They are what one sees on Jeeps and Hardleys recently.  I'll try to remember to shove them in the holes on Monday and take a picture.

Edited by dimlight65
Added link
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Electron Wranglers of Ratsun, please advise.  I'm just about ready to drop money on the actual wires to do the wiring of this vehicle.  I'm looking at some 14ga, CCA (copper clad aluminum) spools on Amazon.  It's about $50.00 for ten rolls, each a different color.  Except for the huge Zookie Lights (or maybe including them, they are all LED), does this sound like it will be adequate?  Now, I will preemptively answer the "What's the load on each circuit?" question with, "I don't know."  But here are the circuits I have in mind: park lights (LED or incandescent?), DRL (LED), low beams (LED on a relay), high beams (LED on a relay), Zookie 1 (LED on a relay), Zookie 2 (LED on a relay), Zookie 3 (LED on a relay), electric fan (on a relay), horn (on a relay), ignition (coil & distributor), wiper, brake lights (LED or incandescent?), turn signals (LED or incandescent?), gauges (power in & signals out to sensors), and fuel pump (on a relay).  The relays will be housed in a pair of centrally located boxes with the fuses for all of these circuits so "tiny trigger wires to relays near the load" will not work.

I guess my question is: will 14ga CCA be enough wire or should I look for 12ga... or even bigger?

Edited by dimlight65
Thought of funnier (to me at least) name
21 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

I guess my question is: will 14ga CCA be enough wire or should I look for 12ga... or even bigger?

Looking at the way the OEs have been doing it for 20+ years, 14 gauge should be fine. I see modern cars with much bigger loads using even smaller wires than that. 

And one thing I have found on most Datsuns is that wire/circuit overheating/overloading is more often caused by the age (read: level of internal corrosion) than the thickness of said wire. 

IMO if it's all new, you'll be fine. 

I think I am going to err on the side of bigness.  I found a set of 11 different colored rolls of 12ga CCA for $75.  I think I'll go with that since what I'm reading is CCA has something like 1.4 times the resistance of pure copper and therefore one size bigger is not a bad idea.

Edited by dimlight65
wording

A roll of red and a roll of black, 10ga CCA arrived today.  I think 12ga CCA for the rest is the right way to go... Eleven rolls, of different colors, will be arriving next week.  THAT means in a couple months, I may start actually wiring this thing!

Edited by dimlight65
punctuation/grammar
  • Like 2