Project Dajiban

19 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Yea, the reverse (forward) flow thing... I suppose there might be a wee concern with airflow past the tip maybe not working to scavenge the pipe. More throttle Scotty!

17 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

As for the reverse/forward flow, I doubt the mass of the gasses has enough inertia to offset the initial impulse... but hey!  I've been wrong before!  And the "chimney effect" of the wind whipping by the tip should suck the gasses out even more.  Now, the slight forward angle we accidentally introduced may screw that all to pieces, but it seems to be working. 

It leaning slightly forward matters not since the tire sticks out past it by a good 2-3". Since it's not in the clean wind anyway, it should scavenge just like it's straight.

Plus, the amount of beans given by Tim on the freeway will sort out any potential reversion.  😁

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Plus, the amount of beans given by Tim on the freeway will sort out any potential reversion.  😁

LOL!  Then there's that!  Y'all remember the stories of me following the Challengers at 80-90 two weeks in a row, right?

Damn, I love this van!

• 2 weeks later...

After driving the van a few days with the Miata seats, I have to say they are an yuge improvement!  I knew the "race buckets" were a (literal) pain in the ass getting in and out of the vehicle, but I didn't realize how "less than comfortable" they were while driving.  They weren't uncomfortable, but they weren't comfortable either.  I was a bit concerned that they sat a bit lower than the "RBs" but it has not been an issue.  In fact, once I got used to it, I really dig it.

Now we have to figure out why the A/C doesn't work.

• Like 1

So we have a bitchin' set of pop-out rear windows for the van, right?  Did we install them today?  Aw hells no!  Installing some "Go-Fast" goodies on the Smart took precedent.  Saturday we will, probably, get into that window installation... most likely.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:07 PM, dimlight65 said:

So we have a bitchin' set of pop-out rear windows for the van, right?  

I don't think we ever told anyone that?  😁

So I was in the junkyard getting a power steering pump for my Galaxie the other day and happened upon a Dajiban with pop-out windows. And we bought them..

After the swap...

20210703_105319.jpg.55ca10e161dbf6c486975841f08b25ee.jpg

And after Tim's sticker job...

20210703_111904.jpg.574eb81ea10e6765d46d9586cc3f8db1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just got an e-mail from the guy in charge of the BNSF Family Day Car show.  Even after quitting that job in 2015, I still get invited to show one of my cars every year.  The cutoff is 25 years so I might have to stretch the truth a bit and claim this thing as a 1996... unless we can get the Chickenhawk on the road by then!

So I have a bunch of camping gear in the van but the storage solution I'm using at the moment (shove stuff where it kind of fits) isn't making me happy.  I'm giving consideration to making a (n easily removable) roof rack for the canopy, tent-cot, and jump seat.  Of course, I could just take them out of the van and put them in my garage.  Hmm, that does sound easier, think to come of it.

Ok, disregard this post.

• Haha 1
On 7/3/2021 at 4:11 PM, dimlight65 said:

I have a couple "Rape Van" type decals on the way.  They will probably go on the sliding door glass though.

And they did!  You will have to go to my Instant Grams to see them though, since I still can't post pictures on here.

43 minutes ago, dimlight65 said:

And they did!  You will have to go to my Instant Grams to see them though, since I still can't post pictures on here.

It's very easy to post pics now since you don't have to use a hosting site any longer. I haven't figured out how to post on instagram yet! 🤪

16 hours ago, goes2fast said:

It's very easy to post pics now since you don't have to use a hosting site any longer. I haven't figured out how to post on instagram yet! 🤪

Ok, the truth is I'm too lazy to transfer the pictures from my phone to the laptop to post them... and the few times I did try, I had about a 50% success rate.  (See my Honda N600 thread.)

6 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Ok, the truth is I'm too lazy to transfer the pictures from my phone to the laptop to post them... and the few times I did try, I had about a 50% success rate.  (See my Honda N600 thread.)

You can post directly from your phone without using the laptop if you access the forum with your phone.

4 hours ago, goes2fast said:

You can post directly from your phone without using the laptop if you access the forum with your phone.

LOL, as I was typing about it, I thought, "Oh hey!  I bet I could just post these directly from my phone!" aaaand then never looked into it.  So... yeah.  I'm even lazier than I suspected.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 7:45 PM, dimlight65 said:

I bet I could just post these directly from my phone

No, no I can't.  Every time I try to log in, it locks my account.  So, you will have to go to the instant grams to see the new "Warning!  Hot Exhaust!" decal I added today.

So I was having lunch at this little German restaurant on Camp Bowie... what was it called again?  Oh right, The Little Germany Restaurant on Camp Bowie.  Anyhoo, I was driving the Dajiban so the waiter was all, "Cool van man!  How much did you lower it?" and stuff like that.  As I was telling him all about it, I decided that I need some card like devices to give out when someone asks about it.  I made up some with my instant grams handle and the word "Dajiban" for them to look up on the intergoogles.  Today I decided that what I really ought to have on there are QR codes for various things. 

Here are the various web things I was thinking of having QR codes for:

This thread, of course.

My instant grams, of course.

And one or the other Noriyaro YouTube vids.

Can anyone think of any others... Oh, Rickroll, of course!

Rickroll is still a thing, right?

• Haha 1

Also, after driving mom's Lincoln Town Car to work and to the shop today, I've decided that it isn't automatic transmissions that I hate... well, no.  I DO  hate them.  It's...  Hang on, let me start over.

After driving mom's Lincoln Town Car to work and to the shop today, I've decided that I kind of hate a rorty zorst with an automatic transmission.  See, the thing that irks the ever living shit out of me is when I'm tooling along and need to give it just a few more beans.  Then the tranny drops a couple gears making that "ever so subtle" buuuhh-WAAAAAAAAA!  I always feel like a douche when it does that.  In the Lincoln, it's more of a mmmm-MMMMMMMMM!  So much less annoying and shouty.  

No, I'm not going to replace the van's zorst again.  I'm just going to be annoyed by it.

On 7/6/2021 at 5:21 PM, dimlight65 said:

I just got an e-mail from the guy in charge of the BNSF Family Day Car show.  Even after quitting that job in 2015, I still get invited to show one of my cars every year.  The cutoff is 25 years so I might have to stretch the truth a bit and claim this thing as a 1996... unless we can get the Chickenhawk on the road by then!

And I just got another e-mail saying that upper management of the railroad decided that, with the Kung-Flu flareups, gathering a huge group of people together wasn't in their best interest.  Maybe next year, when the van is actually 25 years old and eligible... I'll be able to show the Chickenhawk! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/16/2019 at 11:27 AM, datsunfreak said:

Cable passes fairly close to the exhaust manifold, so we put 3 layers of header wrap on it...

http://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2019_09/large.20190914_113124.jpg.b4be73bbb0b765524017bd890fb8a3e6.jpg

And that was not enough!  I'm convinced we're melting the shift cable due to* its proximity to the manifold.  When it is cold, it is all I can do to get it to shift at all.  Once warmed up, it "works" better.  To rectify this, and to allow us more freedom of movement with the doghouse, I bought a 12' long shift cable today.  I'm not sure when we will get around to installing it, but I have it.

*LOL, I said "doo-doo"

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 1
On 8/2/2021 at 7:34 PM, dimlight65 said:

And that was not enough!  I'm convinced we're melting the shift cable due to* its proximity to the manifold. 

And we were...

20210807_124701.jpg.61fa8a796ac4155af92e21c1c1d79cfc.jpg

Peeled the header wrap off and when we got the to the bottom layer, it would not come off. The jacket got so hot the header wrap melted into it and fused to it...

20210807_124905.jpg.1e04d002666ba9565f1d9685cf0ceb8a.jpg

And you should be able to easily move the cable by hand. When cold it would not move AT ALL. 😳

New routing moves it away from the exhaust by at least 8-10 inches in most places...

20210807_124451.jpg.91ddd8099239c197cb8662a1592fae87.jpg

Due to the extra length, we went up to the radiator support, then up and around back to the doghouse...

20210807_124618.jpg.4811691a0e18f499f72783dfbdc8c64d.jpg

It's a bit overkill, but will make it MUCH easier to remove the doghouse going forward with this much slack in it...

While we had the doghouse out, we added some tin as a heat shield for Tim's right calf as well...

20210807_124412.jpg.0b6ed5f9fcb6f78e1dc58ba184785348.jpg