I did buy a Bluebird Coupe in the UK

It's true, I bought a SSS Coupe in Norway. When it came time to ship it, the seller stopped contating me.
I did pay through paypal, with a credit card, but by the time the seller stopped contacting me, it had already been 2 months.
Filed a dispute with paypal, and 45 days in the max time for dissputes.

This his his Ebay name
Re: Shipping: the510keeper sent a message about DATSUN BLUEBIRD 510 SSS COUPE RHD / STARTS & DRIVES (RESTORATION PROJECT) *RARE* #230982476654
Sent: May-22-13 01:23 PM

He did call me, we spoke for a long time about importing and exporting. And him being excited to find someone over here to help be a middle man.

Anybody on here in Norway

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look up that seller, one auction says he's in Peterborough, United Kingdom. Another of his listings shows Cambs, United Kingdom. Your auction shows Cambridgeshire United Kingdom. Then what's the deal with Norway? The location discrepancy is very odd. Four locations for one seller, who doesn't even list a lot of items, hmmmmmm............I've sold a lot of stuff on ebay, and my location has never changed.

Also shows 99.5% feedback, so that's surprising.

I hope you were not scammed.  Call your credit card company and discuss Backcharge.  That should get everyones attention.

Also it is an internet tradition to immediately follow a post like this with, "well you should've done this"  That is not my spirit here, though of course the internet doesn't care about spirit.   Also this is not an ad but a reccomendation based on personal experience for anyone who finds this thread in the future. 

Also I need to get to 25 posts because I have some OEM lug nuts to post in the classifieds.  So why not a long one that focuses on me not you?

In my opinion Escrow.com is really the only way to do a remote purchase and make sure you don't lose your money and to make sure the seller is taken care of as well. It is the only escrow company endorsed by edmunds and ebay.  I used them to buy my Wagon from a Ratsun member who was so diligent he actually drove to their offices in CA and checked them out.  They create a legal process endorsed and licensed that ensures you get the car or your money back.  Worth the fees.  They have been doing it for decades and were one of the first to focus on online and remote sales.  Normally escrow is used in real estate or is done by lawyers.  But with the proliferation of trading in higher priced, or just rare goods (in the case of datsuns) escrow is expanding to lots of things including cars.

The process simplified is as follows.  The seller starts by creating the escrow saying what the car is and what the price is and how long they will give the buyer to inspect the goods.  The buyer accepts the details or asks for changes, but once they agree the buyer accepts and sends the money to the escrow company, which is a real brick and mortor in CA.  You can send the money many ways.  The escrow company then lets the seller know they have the money and transportation that provides tracking is arranged, escrow.com requires they have a relationship with the transporter so they can confirm by trusted third party the vehicle is in transit.  They have a wide network for this.  The seller knowing the money is in escrow releases the vehicle to transportation.  Once the vehicle delivery is taken by the buyer, the clock starts ticking.  The buyer has only the agreed amount of time to inspect.  They either accept or reject.  If the clock ticks out they have de-facto accepted.  If accepted they indicate and the escrow gives the money to the seller.  If rejected the process is reversed and the buyer does not get their money back until the seller indicates they have the vehicle back.

During the process you can decide who pays what fees etc.  The buyer could pay all fees, they can be shared or split up.  But all of that has to be arranged before any step is completed or escrow halts the process.  So they keep your hands clean.

They make their cut on the fees.  It is not totally cheap, but I feel totally worth it if you can't afford to lose the money.

I also paid extra for a title service.  With title service they require the title in their hands before they will allow for transportation.  Then when the buyer accepts, they won't fund the seller until they sign the title, then they ship it to the buyer.  This is very convenient and worth the money over going through the interstate beuracracies with bill of sale and all of that to force title should the seller not send it.  It also adds security over sending it in the glove box or some foolishness.

All in all it was a long process, but I felt worth it as they really walked the process along and at all points both myself and the seller were secure.

• Like 2

this is really bad news for someone who is pretty savy 

check with your credit card about this and ebay for what its worth 

the good thing is he will pay eventually because bad carma is a real bitch

the datsun community is pretty tight  

if you look up members by location there are 24 in norway 

this good guy  could be anywhere but there should be some recourse through ebay 

Good luck my friend 

the happy part is his ebay feedback is really good so no red flags there 

I hope this ends up working out 

this kind of shit really sucks and is a pain in the ass to deal with 

everything worked out in the end seller is a good guy I just dont want to delete the info  stress and time frame  one might go through when dealing with over seas purchases